PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greatest Play In NFL History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nickel Robey-Coleman’s game saving pass breakup was pretty epic. I say we all vote for it, just to put it on the NYJFL’s list.

I think it’s an overrated play as Brady was going to play eventually anyway. I just don’t like the choice because he was close to dying.
He wouldnt have played soon enough to salvage that season.

I watched the game, it was not before my time.

What kind of beer were you drinking, root?
If you were an adult at the time you'd remember there was no guarantee Brady would ever have seen the field here, Kraft had given Bledsoe what was at the time the biggest contract in league history. BB wasn't the GOAT then, he was a retread that had failed in Cleveland and had more detractors than backers.

If virtue signalling on a forum is more important to you than a sense of humor you are in for some rough trips around the Sun. Good luck with that and I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

Last edited:
What kind of beer were you drinking, root?
If you were an adult at the time you'd remember there was no guarantee Brady would ever have seen the field here, Kraft had given Bledsoe what was at the time the biggest contract in league history. BB wasn't the GOAT then, he was a retread that had failed in Cleveland and had more detractors than backers.
I’m aware of all that. I can’t prove it right now, but I’ve read in the past that Bledsoe was on a short leash. I read this from Mike Reiss. And BB looked like his time was running out with another losing season on its way.

If virtue signalling on a forum is more important to you than a sense of humor you are in for some rough trips around the Sun. Good luck with that and I wish you good fortune in the years to come.
Relax...I’m not that offended by it.

Helmet catch is going to be ranked way higher than it should.
Not only for the catch but for Manning keeping the play alive by somehow not getting sacked - amazing and heartbreaking play.

The play impacts its game not the future.
Nonetheless it could be one of the most impactful single plays in NFL history, but not ahead of the rams/titans tackle at the 1 on the mast play of the game.

A Titan's TD would have tied the game. A Seahawks TD would have put them ahead.

I want to think about some non Patriots plays since we talk about those at nauseam.

Remember the Saints lateral play that ended up not mattering due to their kicker missing the XP?

And it was a good play call too....the Seahawks had to pass in that situation with only 1 TO left and 3 downs to play.

Yup, probably should have been a bootleg...or at least a low throw.....Wilson never saw Butler....neither did Lockette as well... that was a great jam by Browner who is in jail now.

Ricardo Lockett never played again, IIRC.......same with David Tyree.....interesting....

Also, Bevell is now the OC in Detroit....which is interesting to me....

The lens of history is strange and distorted, but it becomes absolute.

Eli’s pass to Tyree was such garbage. He was almost picked three times in that drive including that late duck prayer to an uncovered WR (Harrison came in at last second.)

Just a few plays before Montana-Taylor, Montana threw an easy INT ball dropped by a Bengals defender.

Brady’s great comeback was made possible only by his bipolarly bad first half. Had he just played a consistent game and won, no legendary game there.

Wilson’s pick was a good play call. Two plays before that was that absurd BS catch that no one remembers. And Lynch was stopped the play before.

That’s just recent stuff.

Last edited:
The lens of history is strange and distorted, but it becomes absolute.

Eli’s pass to Tyree was such garbage. He was almost picked three times in that drive including that late duck prayer to an uncovered WR (Harrison came in at last second.)

Just a few plays before Montana-Taylor, Montana threw an easy INT ball dropped by a Bengals defender.

Brady’s great comeback was made possible only by his bipolarly bad first half. Had he just played a consistent game and won, no legendary game there.

Wilson’s pick was a good play call. Two plays before that was that absurd BS catch that no one remembers. And Lynch was stopped the okay before.

That’s just recent stuff.

Amazing how Butler kept his composure to intercept the ball shortly after that crazy Kearse catch and also pushing Kearse OOB as well....

Yeah, gotta be the greatest play in SB history....

This thread has brought some clarity. Here’s how I’ll submit my ballot to the NYFL:

1. Robey Nickel-Coleman’s “pass breakup in in the big easy”
2. Tom Brady’s incomplete pass vs. Raiders in 2001/02 playoffs
3. Chris Collinsworth and Al Michaels broadcasting brilliance during the Colts fake punt
4. The opening play of SB48 (ball snapped past Frankenstein into the end zone)
5. NYFL attorney responding to the Honorable Judge Berman that “there is no evidence of ball tampering”

John Riggins 4th and 1 Run against Miami should be top 100

Last edited:
Not only for the catch but for Manning keeping the play alive by somehow not getting sacked - amazing and heartbreaking play.
Yeah, his avoiding the sack, While the offensive holding was not called.

John Riggins 4th and 1 Run against Miami should be top 100
Excellent choice not mentioned yet.

How about Marcus Allen running with the night.

Riggins and Allen got me thinking RB.

So let me throw out a pair of runs that stand as the only OT World Championship walk offs. Not the greatest individual plays but add in the context.

Allen Ameche in the 58 championship dubbed the greatest game ever played.

And our own James White!

And if we're talking walk offs honorable mention to two FGs. Not quite the snow kicks but still quite noteworthy in their own rights.

And since I can't stop how about a couple of game sealing INTs.

Stephon Gilmore Interception Super Bowl 53

Last edited:

Edit: Not sure why the last one in my previous post showed as hyperlink. I guess there is a limit to the videos in one post. I guess I'll stop here for now.

I think it's difficult to choose any other picks than Butler's as the winner. His was the perfect combination of skill and situation.

I still get a grin when I think of that play. It was so big. If the Seahawks went on and won that game they would have had two titles in a row and a chance for a third.

It also makes me think of Goody and how he and all of his friends must have choked on their drinks when The Butler Did It.

Then there's Defamegate. How much sweeter revenge could Brady have, after all the crap he went through, than coming back in the 4th quarter to win it all?

It's smiling time again.

If the criteria is the most important play in NFL history then it has to be the Butler interception. A defensive play/ goal line interception in the final minute to win the Super Bowl would be hard to top

If the criteria is the most important play in NFL history then it has to be the Butler interception. A defensive play/ goal line interception in the final minute to win the Super Bowl would be hard to top

Let’s also remind people he was a UDFA Rookie nicknamed “Scrap” who was out of the sport completely working the line at Popeyes 2 years earlier.

Should be a movie. Far more incredible than Rudy.

One of my all-time favorite Patriots. Look at the difference between his classiness after leaving the team vs his teammate Dion Lewis’. Different levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots