PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great Read: Patriots' Secondary Additions Prove Bill Belichick's Ability to Adapt

Status
Not open for further replies.

yopats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Patriots' Secondary Additions Prove Bill Belichick's Ability to Adapt | Bleacher Report

And given the amount of man-free the Patriots are going to play in 2014, plus the ability of both Revis and Browner, I believe McCourty will be in a position to make a lot of plays on the ball as a middle-of-the-field defender.

I expect the Patriots to use man pressure often with the amount of depth they have at the cornerback position. Look for five- and six-man pressure schemes out of both nickel and dime packages.

Yup. Great read. I already posted this on the draft forum on the "Blueprint for the Defense" thread.

A couple of other notable quotes:

Cover 1 (or any single-high-safety defense) should be at the top of the call sheet every week for the Patriots defense after picking up Revis and Browner via free agency, but there is always room to get creative and use game plan-specific schemes when you have corners who can win in man coverage.

What about playing some combination man, or Cover 7?

This gives the Patriots the ability to “set some traps” in the secondary and disguise their pre-snap alignments while also bringing pressure with five or six defensive backs on the field.

And with a talent like Revis, the Patriots can roll their coverages, eliminate a slot receiver (bracket) and play man trail (2-Man) away from the cornerback in Cover 7.

Yup. Great read. I already posted this on the draft forum on the "Blueprint for the Defense" thread.

A couple of other notable quotes:

All this scheme stuff is way over my head but I am excited about the signings and I can't wait to see what BB and Patricia are able too cook up with them. Most of all I want to see a confused Manning face when we play the Broncos. Its been a while since I've seen Peyton confused with what the Patriots were doing on Defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back