PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great read: Edelman’s 2013 free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is a good timeline of Julian Edelman’s 2013 free agency and something everyone should read to keep things in perspective as free agency approaches. Despite all the best laid plans of mice and men, the Patriots lucked out by “winning” the free agency war for the next great receiver. It wasn’t Wes Welker (left for Denver) or Danny Amendola (joined Patriots). These guys made the huge, juicy headlines and became THE story of the early free agency.

In fact, Edelman’s signing was even overshadowed on the same day it happened - April 10th - because that night Patriots signed Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet, which was once again a big headline. Later the Patriots drafted Aaron Dobson (with a lot of hype around that pick) and got a surprising jolt from Kenbrell Thompkins. Edelman was like the 6th most relevant receiver in NE during the 2013 offseason.

Patriots re-sign Julian Edelman, but remember that summer they almost let him walk in free agency?

This is kind of what we were talking about in the other thread. Edelman got no love on the FA market, came back and made the most of it on a vet minimum-type of deal, then signed a decent extension (and now a second), considered quite fair at the time.

Closer look at Edelman's contract

Although he has “lost” some money in his playing career, he’s gonna make it all back and more when he retires due to all the Super Bowls and the mvp. He’s extremely marketable.

Edelman went to the 49ers shopping his services and did not sign with them. I remember reading that Jim Harbaugh was immensely impressed with Edelman and said something along the lines of "he learnt a lot about about maturation (I hate that word) of a wide receiver while interviewing Edelman".

This is a good timeline of Julian Edelman’s 2013 free agency and something everyone should read to keep things in perspective as free agency approaches. Despite all the best laid plans of mice and men, the Patriots lucked out by “winning” the free agency war for the next great receiver. It wasn’t Wes Welker (left for Denver) or Danny Amendola (joined Patriots). These guys made the huge, juicy headlines and became THE story of the early free agency.

In fact, Edelman’s signing was even overshadowed on the same day it happened - April 10th - because that night Patriots signed Emmanuel Sanders to an offer sheet, which was once again a big headline. Later the Patriots drafted Aaron Dobson (with a lot of hype around that pick) and got a surprising jolt from Kenbrell Thompkins. Edelman was like the 6th most relevant receiver in NE during the 2013 offseason.

Patriots re-sign Julian Edelman, but remember that summer they almost let him walk in free agency?

I think the Giants was the last Team he visited that year. I was really watching that situation closely Patriots lucked out big time Giants must be kicking themselves.

Although he has “lost” some money in his playing career, he’s gonna make it all back and more when he retires due to all the Super Bowls and the mvp. He’s extremely marketable.
And his own brand too...

Edelman went to the 49ers shopping his services and did not sign with them. I remember reading that Jim Harbaugh was immensely impressed with Edelman and said something along the lines of "he learnt a lot about about maturation (I hate that word) of a wide receiver while interviewing Edelman".
Weren’t the Giants in on him too?

I agree with this, and I would even bet JE11 is playing the long game correctly and probably even better than those who get a superstar contract.

But, man, he's underpaid given his contributions.

Agreed, but I also have concerns about what his overall health will be like when he does walk away. I love the guy because of the way he puts it out there, but he has taken some violent hits along the way.

I don't know about that. I was talking to a memorabilia dealer last year and he said that after many years of running autograph sessions, Julian Edelman was the biggest jerk he ever dealt with and that he probably wouldn't do another session with him. Of course, that was before the SB MVP. :)

I don't know about that. I was talking to a memorabilia dealer last year and he said that after many years of running autograph sessions, Julian Edelman was the biggest jerk he ever dealt with and that he probably wouldn't do another session with him. Of course, that was before the SB MVP. :)

I bet the memorabilia collectors/dealers paying for his autograph as an investment were delightful fellows.

I bet the memorabilia collectors/dealers paying for his autograph as an investment were delightful fellows.

The memorabilia seller seemed like a really nice guy. He also mentioned how great Brady was to work with (and let's face it - signing thousands of pictures is work) and that Gronk is the funniest/most easy-going guy he has ever dealt with, so it's not like his personality was clashing with either of them.

He said that Edelman was jerk from the second he walked in. Of course, JE's human (we think :) ) and who knows what was going on with him that day? Maybe his GF dumped him that morning? None of us know.

Was the dealer Eli Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back