PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great read by Reiss + great read of Solder by Dante

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Another great Sunday quick-hit edition by Reiss offering quick overview (via McShay) of QB prospects that could possibly fit Pats . adding another wrinkle to JG trade story and BB trade “manners“ that are widely appreciated and respected throughout NFL . references to BBs breakdown of ST plays and his special appreciation of JJ finishing plays on D..

Link: Could Baker Mayfield be the Patriots' next Jimmy Garoppolo?

Most of all it was great to read this from Dante on Solder:

“He’s playing really well over the last two weeks. He’s done some things with his pass-protection stuff that has helped him improve -- on the punch, his hand use is much more violent, much more physical and less reactive/more proactive,” Scarnecchia said. “Those things have helped him a great deal. He started really emphasizing that two weeks ago at practice and carried it through the next game and then last week.

I think this guy is really driven to be a good football player, and he’s worked at the things he can fix, and he’s working hard to improve, and that’s all I can really ask from him. I love the kid.”

With increasing hints that this might be Solder's last NFL season (mostly due to his son's situation) it is great to read that he seems extra motivated the last two weeks and “really driven“ to improve . and with JG out of the possible 2018 cap charge maybe there is a place for Solder on this team beyond this yr which would be great considering OT situation.

Dante also states that both Waddle and Fleming “have the ability to start for a lot of teams, including this team; they just find themselves behind two good tackles” but clearly Solder is a different level when 100% physically and mentally. With Garcia possibly not being ready to start at the beginning of next season it will be interesting position to monitor.

Protecting Brady became even more critical now so hearing this from Dante is the best news one could get. With what Waddle showed last Sunday (and Fleming last year) OT situation possibly looks more reassuring and thankfully so with other needs on the roster appearing and most of all future QB uncertainty opening up..

Last edited:
on the punch, his hand use is much more violent, much more physical
Solder must harbor some level of undirected rage at the plight of his son. If he's channeling that into his play - in a controlled way - it can only help, with both his play and releasing that emotional burden.

Yes, it is much easier to deal with something like cancer yourself than to watch a close loved one go through the experience. I'd imagine even exponentially worse for your child.

^ Who is he supposed to be? Looks like a cross being Santa and old school Hulk Hogan

LMGTFY

"For Patriots lineman Nate Solder, his team’s first-ever Halloween party for kids with cancer at Gillette Stadium was more personal than professional.

Solder brought along his adorable 2-year-old son, Hudson, who was diagnosed with a rare kidney cancer — bilateral Wilms tumors — when he was 3 months old. The little boy is undergoing chemotherapy treatments.

“I’m just glad we get to have fun tonight,” Solder, who was diagnosed with testicular cancer himself three years ago, said yesterday. “This is such a special night. All these kids are here, all going through really difficult circumstances, but we all go through it together and we get to have some fun and be kids tonight.”

The towering Solder was the first player to arrive at the party, dressed up as Wizard Whitebeard from “Where’s Waldo.” Hudson dressed up as Waldo."

Heslam: Patriots’ costumes score big

All our prayers go out to Solder and his son.

From a team perspective, we are even further from having any qualified LT's for the 2018 team.

All our prayers go out to Solder and his son.

From a team perspective, we are even further from having any qualified LT's for the 2018 team.

?

1. Dante's comments are first positive hints Solder might continue playing and Pats might bring him back (in his case esp. I firmly believe it will not be just about money..). It would be hard to extend him now w current cap situation but Pats can be in the driving seat for him in FA like many times before with their top FAs (and considering health of Solder's son even more so).

2. Waddle showed signs of improvement after shaky TC and coaches showed considerable level of trust in him. He answered well when he was called. Pats reportedly were ready to move Fleming at trade deadline so they might like to keep Waddle. Don't know what his market value could be or what are his plans for the future (possibly searching situation to start).

3. Garcia is a ? but reports of him being around team all the time (“Garcia has been in the locker room every day to learn from his teammates“) could be a positive sign as well.

4. The fact they cut Karras to keep Croston safe (and are keeping him despite needs at other positions despite being permanent inactive) says plenty of what they think of Croston and he was very solid throughout preseason both at G and T. Also don't sleep on Jelks. He was highly regarded college tackle before injuries stopped him and they didn't waived him injured like most other guys which would suggest they have possible future plans with him.

Lots of IFs but also some positive signs lately. Going into next TC with healthy Cannon, Solder, Waddle, Garcia, Croston and Jelks would be a great situation to have. Lots of IFs but could happen..

?

4. The fact they cut Karras to keep Croston safe (and are keeping him despite needs at other positions despite being permanent inactive) says plenty of what they think of Croston and he was very solid throughout preseason both at G and T. Also don't sleep on Jelks. He was highly regarded college tackle before injuries stopped him and they didn't waived him injured like most other guys which would suggest they have possible future plans with him.

Karras is on the 53...(?)

Mongo not understand.

Touching story with Nate Solder and his Son I wish them all the best. But I can't see the Patriots resigning him with the current dept they now have. I am glad they gave Anthony Garcia a Redshirt year his draft bio screamed development type he needs to get Stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes