PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good news on Mayo, at least for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone get the feeling that BB is using this as a typical BB mindf**k ... let the Jets think he is not playing ... and then he shows up?

People always come up with this theory, but when has BB actually ever done this before?

Last edited:
how did mayo get hurt it just looked like his foot got stepped on or am i horribly wrong

At one point the ESPN guys said they were looking at his ankle, but those guys are morons so who knows.

As BB would say, "he has a sore leg".

Can't lose Mayo. Seau - Bruschi - Brooks - Adam Seward (though he'd be an upgrade, obv)... these guys can't reasonably fill in for Mayo.

I hope he's not gone for long. They can still make the playoffs without Mayo, but are we really hoping for the playoffs ? That's what the Chiefs & Browns are looking for...

People always come up with this theory, but when has BB actually ever done this before?

I was thinking the very same thing! The myth is bigger than the reality.

Better than IR, I don't want him back on the field until he can come back without further injury.

I wasnt sure if we could beat the jets last year without Brady, if Mayo does not play Im confident to come out of there with a victory.

Hey, if we need a MLB for a game or two, there's an analyst at "NFL Live" who might fit the bill...

In regards to the Pats defence last night, BB played the Bills by shutting down the receivers and pressuring with a four man front. For that, he succeeded. I see next weeks game as a chance for the pats defence to blitz all day and make Sanchez beat them in the air. Remember, the jets dont have recievers that have to be doubled, so that frees up players to blitz and for run support.

Didn't Brady walk off the field under his own power last year after the hit?
He (Brady) had a guy holding his elbow, but your point is valid. Just because he (Mayo) walked off the field does not mean the injury wasn't serious.

Last edited:
If the team doesn't sign another ILB this week, then we know for sure that the injury is not serious. Perhaps they might sign another one anyway for depth. We'll see.

At one point the ESPN guys said they were looking at his ankle, but those guys are morons so who knows.

As BB would say, "he has a sore leg".

They mentioned that and showed a clip of him being accidentally stepped on by a teammate during the play...it did look like he rolled his ankle.

I don't think he ever has. He is straightforward and gives out only the very minimal information as required by the rules but still exploits the rules as much as possible provided it contains a shred of truth (such as the injury list).

Another such theory: "BB will NOT open the playbook during the regular season and will do so only in the playoffs".

If the team doesn't sign another ILB this week, then we know for sure that the injury is not serious. Perhaps they might sign another one anyway for depth. We'll see.

We can't do that without cutting someone.

They're not going to sign another ILB. In the eventuality that Mayo is not going to play, they simply shift Guyton to mike and Woods to will.

I don't think he ever has. He is straightforward and gives out only the very minimal information as required by the rules but still exploits the rules as much as possible provided it contains a shred of truth (such as the injury list).

Another such theory: "BB will NOT open the playbook during the regular season and will do so only in the playoffs".

BB's such a blank slate publicly that people project all kinds of bizarre nonsense. The never-ending surmise provides never-ending hilarity.

He (Brady) had a guy holding his elbow, but your point is valid. Just because he (Mayo) walked off the field does not mean the injury wasn't serious.

This was pretty different. after coming off the playing field, and I believe sitting on the bench, Mayo then stood up, flexed his leg a few times (by lifting his foot about a foot off the ground), and walked to the trainers room without assistance. I didn't notice that much of real limp, either. Obviously, the injury was severe enough to sideline him for the remainder of the game, but I don't think the staff would have allowed him to 'test it out" if they expected the injury was anything close to season ending.

They mentioned that and showed a clip of him being accidentally stepped on by a teammate during the play...it did look like he rolled his ankle.

Guyton stepped on Mayo's foot/ankle, but Mayo's leg was planted wide, and he was trying to move when Guyton stepped on him. You could visibly see the tweak to his knee in slow motion.

Last edited:
Guyton stepped on Mayo's foot/ankle, but Mayo's leg was planted wide, and he was trying to move when Guyton stepped on him. You could visibly see the tweak to his knee in slow motion.

Right, just reporting what they were mentioning in the program. Looked like it was an ankle initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST