PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good article on Cole Strange

So a kid who played guard in Div 2, is suddenly going to be a LT in the NFL?

He is lucky he literally has no competition for the guard job, unless the kid from LSU beats him out.

He played in FCS, not D 2. Penning played FCS and was drafted in the first rd. this year.

it can be done but small school guys have a pretty steep learning curve dealing with guys with size and speed that is way beyond what they’ve experienced before. I guess that’s why no one was squawking about Kenyon Green or Zion Johnson when they got picked many spots earlier than Strange even though their RAS was considerably poorer. Hopefully he winds up as good as Marpet but that guy took a bit to get acclimated from what I understand.

I‘m hoping for the best but expecting this to be frustrating to watch in his first year. My bigger concern is OL coaching, it was not great last year IMHO and the fuzzy situation being presented to us isn’t inspiring a lot of confidence for me.

Last edited:
I seem to recall the OTs getting beat around the edge. Wynn gave up the most sacks of all NE OL with 9.

Arent the ends the easiest place to attack? Once you get by the OT its clear sailing.
Trent Brown and Wynn will be fine if healthy and coached up, the entire line early last season was confused who to block… nobody played well early.

Wynn had the worst season of his career, but he ran cover while the rest of the OLine also screwed up. Wynn has played well in the past, nobody complained about him then.

He has injury issues, I wouldn’t extend him beyond this year unless it was a snap based incentive deal. Even then, why not go younger and more consistently healthy?

Either way, they have a really talented group of guards and Onwenu could slide to RT and be good at it. Strange, Dejarlais and Russey are really athletic albeit inexperienced linemen. It’s a great group health and development provided.

Last edited:
Could be BB knows what he's doing.
Wait. WHAT? The 6 time SB Winner as a HC who's been to 12 SBs might know what he's doing? How can THAT be? I read here from people like Capt,, State, and others that Belichick is a complete buffoon who had nothing to do with those wins.... That he's utterly incompetent as a GM.. And well.. Capt and State are NEVER wrong... Like.. EVER.. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

He played in FCS, not D 2. Penning played FCS and was drafted in the first rd. this year.

But.. But.. Penning was a "consensus" 1st round pick.. So that's OK. Strange was a "consensus" 3rd rounder, so BB CLEARLY reached. Just ask Stone, State and others.. They'll tell you how much of a complete screw up that BB guy is.. :whistle::whistle::whistle::maybenot::maybenot::maybenot:

Trent Brown and Wynn will be fine if healthy and coached up, the entire line early last season was confused who to block… nobody played well early.

Wynn had the worst season of his career, but he ran cover while the rest of the OLine also screwed up. Wynn has played well in the past, nobody complained about him then.

He has injury issues, I wouldn’t extend him beyond this year unless it was a snap based incentive deal. Even then, why not go younger and more consistently healthy?

Either way, they have a really talented group of guards and Onwenu could slide to RT and be good at it. Strange, Dejarlais and Russey are really athletic albeit inexperienced linemen. It’s a great group health and development provided.

Chasen Hines is a very explosive athlete. Not a short area quickness guy so backs up Onwenu on the right side. Not really strong so maybe a Y2 guy.

So a guy who played guard against only one game against a FBC team in Kentucky, granted they didn't suck last year, and the rest against:

Austen Peay
North Alabama
Western Carolina
VMI
ETSU
Samford
Furman
Wofford
Mercer
The Citadel

Is suddenly ready to switch to LT in the NFL?

Once again, the very best the Pats can hope for is that Strange is as good as Mason, and even that is a big if!

Wait. WHAT? The 6 time SB Winner as a HC who's been to 12 SBs might know what he's doing? How can THAT be? I read here from people like Capt,, State, and others that Belichick is a complete buffoon who had nothing to do with those wins.... That he's utterly incompetent as a GM.. And well.. Capt and State are NEVER wrong... Like.. EVER.. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

The same guy who drafted

Jermaine Cunningham over Carlos Dunlap
Dominique Easley in the first round!
Sean Crable
N'Keal Harry (1st rd)
Chad Jackson
Ras IR
Jordan Richards (another giant reach, I'm sure BB knew more than the rest of league with that one huh?)
Duke Dawson

yall know the rest.

Its not like he hasn't made yuge mistakes before. I don't even ding him for the likes of Cyrus Jones, because he was a good player in college, and the draft is a crap shoot.

BB should learn some lessons from his failures, its like every guy has to learn on his own NOT to date a hairdresser (they are all crazy!). BB needs to treat Florida players like strippers, great to look at, no fun to tie yourself to.

Look at the sucess rate of Georgia and Alabama players drafted by BB.

Don't be so defensive. As a HC Bill is one of the best but he deserves criticism for some of his draft picks as the GM. Even Kraft mentioned that the drafting needed to improve.

Don't be so defensive. As a HC Bill is one of the best but he deserves criticism for some of his draft picks as the GM. Even Kraft mentioned that the drafting needed to improve.
Thing is every team drafting misses on picks every year. It is fine to criticize those picks but it must be taken into consideration.

Im no Dante Scarneckia but shouldnt Wynn and Brown block that big guy in other uniform lined up on their outside shoulders?

Thing is every team drafting misses on picks every year. It is fine to criticize those picks but it must be taken into consideration.
I'm not a fan of the draft. I especially can't stand Goodell's phony hugs. I know nothing of the NCAA so I try to take a wait and see attitude.

The same guy who drafted

Jermaine Cunningham over Carlos Dunlap
Dominique Easley in the first round!
Sean Crable
N'Keal Harry (1st rd)
Chad Jackson
Ras IR
Jordan Richards (another giant reach, I'm sure BB knew more than the rest of league with that one huh?)
Duke Dawson

yall know the rest.

Its not like he hasn't made yuge mistakes before. I don't even ding him for the likes of Cyrus Jones, because he was a good player in college, and the draft is a crap shoot.

BB should learn some lessons from his failures, its like every guy has to learn on his own NOT to date a hairdresser (they are all crazy!). BB needs to treat Florida players like strippers, great to look at, no fun to tie yourself to.

Look at the sucess rate of Georgia and Alabama players drafted by BB.
I noticed you only listed the bad draft picks and ignored the good picks.

I noticed you only listed the bad draft picks and ignored the good picks.
Because people we’re saying that BB never makes mistakes, so I listed the mistakes, also gave him credit for the success of the Georgia and Alabama players.

Chasen Hines is a very explosive athlete. Not a short area quickness guy so backs up Onwenu on the right side. Not really strong so maybe a Y2 guy.
I don’t see the “athlete” part at all. He’s not very athletic.

I don’t see the “athlete” part at all. He’s not very athletic.
1653152649992.png

Hines' broad jump, vertical, and 10-yard split are all very good. Those are measurements of "explosion" and getting to the 2nd level of the defense. While quite explosive, Hines' 3cone and measurements of agility were weak. So, in theory, Hines can move forward well, but is not great at pulling. Overall his RAS (relative athletic score) is shown above relative to the other 2022 offensive guard prospects - I would say he is athletic.

Im no Dante Scarneckia but shouldnt Wynn and Brown block that big guy in other uniform lined up on their outside shoulders?
Wynn has his worst season to date when healthy, he was jumping offsides, he was missing blocks… he wasn’t alone. He also improved and finished the season like his typical self.

One bad season doesn’t erase that when healthy for years there was nothing at all to complain about with Wynn. Performance was never an issue, only his health.

View attachment 43154

Hines' broad jump, vertical, and 10-yard split are all very good. Those are measurements of "explosion" and getting to the 2nd level of the defense. While quite explosive, Hines' 3cone and measurements of agility were weak. So, in theory, Hines can move forward well, but is not great at pulling. Overall his RAS (relative athletic score) is shown above relative to the other 2022 offensive guard prospects - I would say he is athletic.
So he jumps well for a 331 pound guy… beyond that he’s weak, isn’t agile and isn’t fast.

So he jumps well for a 331 pound guy… beyond that he’s weak, isn’t agile and isn’t fast.

Yes, he is explosive but lacks agility and needs to get stronger. He is a 6th round pick, there are going to be gaps in the athleticism of all late round picks. He is similar to M Onwenu - moves forward well, does not move sideways. That is why Karras was at left guard, and we drafted Strange (strong with quick feet), and Onwenu was not starting at left guard in 2021. Hines needs to be stronger, but is a good prospect, maybe a career backup, but for a 6th that is good.

Yes, he is explosive but lacks agility and needs to get stronger. He is a 6th round pick, there are going to be gaps in the athleticism of all late round picks. He is similar to M Onwenu - moves forward well, does not move sideways. That is why Karras was at left guard, and we drafted Strange (strong with quick feet), and Onwenu was not starting at left guard in 2021. Hines needs to be stronger, but is a good prospect, maybe a career backup, but for a 6th that is good.
Onwenu struggled when they put him on the left side, he played on the right side well and played there in college. Beyond being big there’s not a lot similar about the two, Onwenu was strong exiting college. Again, I could be wrong. I think they have better more athletic options on the interior and there’s only so many roster spots available.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back