PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GM?

raduray

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
First, while I've been in favor of moving on from Bill Belichick, I want to acknowledge and thank him for his contributions. Between him and Tom Brady, we've been the luckiest of football fans these past two decades.

But it's time to move on, and all the conversation here has been about who will replace him as HC. Hardly any mention of who'll be our new GM. Between the draft and free agency, who will build the personnel base that the HC will turn into a contender? To me, that's the more important decision facing the Krafts.

Last edited:
I always thought of Bill as the HC so I was not even thinking about this. For this year at least, getting the GM right is even more important than the coach because for once we have a very high pick.

The 3rd pick and whatever we do at QB will either put us on the right path or set us back at least 4 more years.

I don't believe the Patriots will be able to get Howie Roseman.
But how about one of his Asst GMs?

Alec Halaby, who enters his 16th year with the Philadelphia Eagles, was named assistant general manager in 2022 after spending six seasons (2016-21) as the team's vice president of football operations and strategy.
During his tenure with the Eagles, Halaby has focused on player evaluation, roster management, and resource allocation, with a particular emphasis on integrating traditional and analytical methods in decision-making.
Halaby previously served as a special assistant to the general manager (2012-15) and player personnel analyst (2010-11). He began his career as an intern with the Eagles' football operations department (2007, '09).
A native of Madison, WI, Halaby graduated from Harvard in 2009.

Long believed that the GM must be hired first and allowed to hire the HC, else chaos.
Bob Kraft also needs to retire and let Johnathan run the show.
Thanks for the wonderful memories BB!

Another option to consider is Joe Horitz, one of two Directors of Player Personnel for Baltimore.

"Hortiz has long been one of the best college scouts in the league and has worked his way through the Ravens organization the same way that guys such as Jets GM Joe Douglas and Baltimore GM Eric DeCosta did," Breer wrote.
"He did well in interviewing with the Giants last year and has diversified his résumé to do more work on the pro side and in team building since DeCosta took over. The Ravens being perhaps the league's most technologically advanced operation doesn't hurt, either."
Hortiz has been with the Ravens for a quarter of a century and works closely with George Kokinis, the team's other director of player personnel, to oversee all aspects of college and pro scouting for Baltimore.
The pair serve as GM Eric DeCosta's chief personnel evaluators. The Ravens have earned a playoff spot in four of the past five seasons.
Hortiz spent 10 seasons (2009 — 2018) as the Ravens' director of college scouting. He was responsible for all aspects of the college process, coordinating the schedules and cross-checking duties of the area and national scouts.
Hortiz, who joined the organization in 1998, also spent eight years as a scout for Baltimore, covering the Northeast and Southeast regions before becoming a national scout for three seasons (2006 — 2008).

Hortiz also manages the team’s draft preparation and the evaluation and ranking process of hundreds of NFL draft-eligible prospects. Hortiz, who joined the organization in 1998, spent eight years as a scout for Baltimore, covering the Northeast and Southeast regions before becoming a national scout for three seasons (2006- 08).

This guy from the Chiefs is already interviewing with Washington. FWIW he did live and work in Boston earlier in his career.

Mike Borgonzi enters his 15th season with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2023. He was promoted to Assistant General Manager in 2021 after serving three seasons as the club's Director of Football Operations (2018-20) and three seasons as the club's Director of Player Personnel (2017)/Co-Director of Player Personnel (2015-16).
In his current capacity, Borgonzi supervises and directs the club's college and professional scouting operations while closely supporting and advising General Manager Brett Veach with the club's roster management and player acquisition via the NFL Draft, NFL free agency, street free agency, waiver claims and trades.
Prior to his current role, Borgonzi spent one year as Director of Football Operations. He then took on the entirety of the Director of Player Personnel position in 2017 after serving alongside current Chiefs General Manager Brett Veach as Co-Director of Player Personnel for two years (2015-16).

I would like to get someone from the following organizations:

1) Niners
2) Ravens
3) Steelers
4) Eagles
5) Packers
6) Lions (am I crazy?)
7) Browns (I must be crazy!)

Another that is a finalist for the GM position in Washington. He began his career as a scout for the Patriots (2003-2008).

Adam Peters is in his 21st season in the NFL and third as the 49ers assistant general manager. Previously, Peters spent four seasons as vice president of player personnel for the 49ers. He joined San Francisco after spending eight seasons (2009-16) with the Denver Broncos.
In 2016, Peters was named the Broncos director of college scouting after spending two seasons as the team's assistant director of college scouting (2014-15). Peters spent three years as a national scout (2011-13) after originally joining the Broncos as a regional scout in 2009.
As a member of Denver's personnel department, Peters helped the team acquire 27 players through the draft and college free agency that were vital members of the Super Bowl 50 championship roster.
Peters joined the Broncos after spending six years (2003-08) with the New England Patriots. In his first two seasons with the Patriots as a scouting assistant, he was a part of two Super Bowl championship teams (XXXVIII in 2003 and XXXIX in 2004). In 2005, Peters handled pro scouting duties for the team before serving as an area scout in his final three seasons (2006-08) with the Patriots.

I'd rather have Halaby or Horitz based on the info that JMT provided.

I don't want anything to do with someone from the Chiefs.

Bringing Peters in, with his previous ties to the team, would put unrealistic expectations on him

Absolutely.

If it's not Eliot Wolf, then it MUST be an Outsider with ZERO connections with Any of Billy's F & Fs Plan membership.

The let the New GM hire the New HC.

EDIT: I need to amend the above, slightly:

It now seems certain that Bill will continue coaching next season in pursuit of the hated Shula. Therefore, I'm no longer concerned about ownership hiring a puppet GM while he remained "only" our HC. However...

I still want Absolutely Nothing to do with Al Groh's kid OR fellow hack Steve Cargrille in this New front office IN ANY CAPACITY WHATSOEVER.
As a matter of fact, these two incompetent ****ing toadies should be the Very First people FIRED by ownership, even before a New GM is hired!
The next pair to be Fired should then be Judge Joey & Cant Assford.

I feel like if its Mayo and Wolf you may as well have kept Bill. Need to get at least one in from outside the organisation, even if they have Patriots historic links.

Plus the main problem with this team has been personnel. Groh definitely has to go.

How would people feel if Scott Pioli took over as GM?

While the Pats excelled while he was in New England, his time with the Chiefs and Falcons was less successful.

Another that is a finalist for the GM position in Washington. He began his career as a scout for the Patriots (2003-2008).

Adam Peters is in his 21st season in the NFL and third as the 49ers assistant general manager. Previously, Peters spent four seasons as vice president of player personnel for the 49ers. He joined San Francisco after spending eight seasons (2009-16) with the Denver Broncos.
In 2016, Peters was named the Broncos director of college scouting after spending two seasons as the team's assistant director of college scouting (2014-15). Peters spent three years as a national scout (2011-13) after originally joining the Broncos as a regional scout in 2009.
As a member of Denver's personnel department, Peters helped the team acquire 27 players through the draft and college free agency that were vital members of the Super Bowl 50 championship roster.
Peters joined the Broncos after spending six years (2003-08) with the New England Patriots. In his first two seasons with the Patriots as a scouting assistant, he was a part of two Super Bowl championship teams (XXXVIII in 2003 and XXXIX in 2004). In 2005, Peters handled pro scouting duties for the team before serving as an area scout in his final three seasons (2006-08) with the Patriots.

He’s my choice, fwiw.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back