PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GM Bill cheaps out AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Belichick Unum

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I know that BB is a god and can do no wrong. And I know that he can turn cow sh!t into roast beef, but as a GM he sucks.

He entered today with about $16M in cap room, could probably make more room by restructuring a player here and there, yet he is allowing the jewel of the FA class to sign in Buffalo? What is up with this guy?

The Pats lost the Super Bowl last year because GM Bill let the team down. He started a player on the corner in the Super Bowl whom he had released twice. His deep threat was a special teamer and his defense allowed the Giants to drive the length of the field AGAIN in the final two minutes. Coach Bill had maybe the best year a coach has ever had in the NFL, got an 8 and 8 team to the Super Bowl and should have won it had his reciever held on to the ball when it hit him in the hands, but none of that matters. The Giants were the better team that day, and all of last year.

There are times when you have to spend to win, and this was one of them. Bufalo will have a great defense next year, they will be a threat to win the division and may beat the Patriots twice next year. I am not saying he would have signed with the Patriots over Buffalo, but he probably would have at least considered it. GM Bill is penny wise and pound foolish. He thinks he is smarter than everybody else, and he probably is, but this defense sucks and it will again next year unless GM Bill decides to purchase a little help.

I heard GangGreen is looking for new members......

I know that BB is a god and can do no wrong. And I know that he can turn cow sh!t into roast beef, but as a GM he sucks.

He entered today with about $16M in cap room, could probably make more room by restructuring a player here and there, yet he is allowing the jewel of the FA class to sign in Buffalo? What is up with this guy?

The Pats lost the Super Bowl last year because GM Bill let the team down. He started a player on the corner in the Super Bowl whom he had released twice. His deep threat was a special teamer and his defense allowed the Giants to drive the length of the field AGAIN in the final two minutes. Coach Bill had maybe the best year a coach has ever had in the NFL, got an 8 and 8 team to the Super Bowl and should have won it had his reciever held on to the ball when it hit him in the hands, but none of that matters. The Giants were the better team that day, and all of last year.

There are times when you have to spend to win, and this was one of them. Bufalo will have a great defense next year, they will be a threat to win the division and may beat the Patriots twice next year. I am not saying he would have signed with the Patriots over Buffalo, but he probably would have at least considered it. GM Bill is penny wise and pound foolish. He thinks he is smarter than everybody else, and he probably is, but this defense sucks and it will again next year unless GM Bill decides to purchase a little help.

Cool story!

I hate that the team can't acquire players for the rest of free agency, through trades and the draft in the coming months.

Guys, you heard it here first. No Mario Williams = no defense.

.......:bricks::bricks::bricks:

I know that BB is a god and can do no wrong..........

cde2fbe1c95799a662834a3636c0d187df82edf5_m.gif

GM Bill is penny wise and pound foolish. He thinks he is smarter than everybody else, and he probably is, but this defense sucks and it will again next year unless GM Bill decides to purchase a little help.

I'm quite sure hes smarter than you in football matters so lets see how this all shakes out. Running out and spending most of your money on FA's the first day isn't a wise move for team building.

I wanted to let this slide, but if you think the Giants were the better team "all last year" you're a gorram idiot.

I guess you can add the GM's of Baltimore, NYG, and Pitts to your suck list because they haven't done **** either. Last time I checked those teams have been pretty good.

My bottom line is that this defense has to improve. I don't care how its done as long as its done well.

Guys, you heard it here first. No Mario Williams = no defense.

....because not having Mario in 2011 made the Texans D considerably worse than what they were in 2010.

;)

Tell me how successful the Texans have been the past six years with Mario.

The Pats lost the Super Bowl last year because GM Bill let the team down.... should have won it had his reciever held on to the ball when it hit him in the hands, but none of that matters. The Giants were the better team that day, and all of last year....

There are times when you have to spend to win, and this was one of them. Bufalo will have a great defense next year, they will be a threat to win the division and may beat the Patriots twice next year. I am not saying he would have signed with the Patriots over Buffalo, but he probably would have at least considered it...

Decaf, try it.

Within a few sentences you say that GM Bill let the team down but at the same time, you say that the Super Bowl was eminently winnable if an elite player made a very difficult but makeable play. Football has a high variance in outcome at the game by game level, that is one of the thrills of the sport. Even the best teams playing the worst teams will lose every now and then because of that variance of strange bounces, amazing plays made and barely missed. And the Giants were not even close to the worst team in the NFL, so variance strikes again.

Yes, the Patriots need help on defense, but the relevant question that you are not asking is the following: Is Mario Williams + the 2012 drafted rookies + any vet min FA signings+a lot of UDFAs going to improve the Patriots more or less than several mid-level FAs at several positions of need + the 2012 draft which can be more focused on Best Player Available (modified)* + any vet min FA signees?

Right now the Patriots have 6 to 8 million dollars in effective cap space (16 mil at 4:01 pm Mar 13 - RFA tenders - rookie pool - Fanene - White,Niko, Slater). The rookie pool is flexible across time at the moment, so the Pats probably have between 11 to 13 million in cap space available as of 9:49pm on 3/14.

Mario Williams, if his first year cap hit is equal to Julius Pepper's lowest cap hit for the Bears would eat up that entire available amount. The Patriots would have to clear $5 million to sign draftees and then fill out the rest of the roster with Vet min or undrafted free agents.

That would be a significant departure from standard operating procedures for a general manager who has assembled Super Bowl appearing teams for slightly less than 50% of his time in his position.

Julius Peppers Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

* The Patriots draft approach in the first two rounds seems to be Best Player Available at a Position of Need and Relative Draft Value --- so not signing Williams and using that money/cap space instead on filling several other needs would allow the Patriots to marginally de-emphasize need and marginally increase the weight on best available.

Last edited:
The cap is crap. That excuse holds no water at all.

OMG.........competing threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes