PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gilmore gets a raise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me thinks this may be his last year as a Patriot.

Good for him. I highly doubt we’ll be the ones giving him his next contract.

Good for him! We need him to go out and be dominant again.

I keep hearing from different sources that this may be his last year in NE. I don't understand. Does his contract have voidable years?

Well-deserved....way to LOCK UP some more money ;)

Good for Gilly! This doesn’t happen often. Last guy who got a bump was Nink if I remember correctly.

Deserved/atta-boy/we-like-you feelings aside, is there a financial incentive for the Front Office to do this?

Deserved/atta-boy/we-like-you feelings aside, is there a financial incentive for the Front Office to do this?
I would assume he wanted/wants a new deal after seeing Ramsey, White, Slay, etc get paid and this was the team's way of placating him. I think there is a solid chance he is traded next offseason. I just hope we pay JC Jackson if that happens (even if it doesn't).

BB does this from time-time. I, as others have stated, figure he’ll be moving on soonish. Almost 30, massive $... but what a pick up he was. Amazing player.

I keep hearing from different sources that this may be his last year in NE. I don't understand. Does his contract have voidable years?
2021 is the last year of his contract. People are thinking BB won’t think he’s worth the cap space and will cut or trade him after this year. I don’t know what the answer is — that might be true if Gilmore shows signs of slipping or if Gilmore wants to completely break the bank in his next deal. But maybe not; I didn’t think DMac would be here in 2019 when he signed his big deal after 2014, but here he still is.

Why would this be his last year? Bill will pay through the nose for the best CB in football. He paid Revis $20M for one season. As long as Gilmore’s skills don’t diminish, he’s going nowhere. My guess is there was some understanding that he would remain the highest paid CB and the Tre’Davious White contract triggered this.

With all that cap space you don't want to lose the locker room by being too cheap with the stars. Bill is really smart in how he navigates that minefield.

2021 is the last year of his contract. People are thinking BB won’t think he’s worth the cap space and will cut or trade him after this year. I don’t know what the answer is — that might be true if Gilmore shows signs of slipping or if Gilmore wants to completely break the bank in his next deal. But maybe not; I didn’t think DMac would be here in 2019 when he signed his big deal after 2014, but here he still is.
What Jackson does will also figure into the conversation. Interesting times ahead.

Some theorize that with JC Jackson hitting RFA this year that Bill is worried a team that is desperate for a CB will give up a 1st and a huge contract for JC and that there'd be only room for 1 big CB contract. Which implies that Gilmore would be cut or dealt in order to keep JC.

I don't agree. You could give JC an extension and still keep Gilmore for his final year. Very easy to work a hypothetical JC extension first year cap hit to be low. I think they could even structure where he signs the RFA tender and then the extension is signed and his cap hit for that year is whatever the tender was plus part of the signing bonus. And given that the Pats will probably have around 20m to rollover plus the 75m they were set to have after the season, they could easily have both play together for a year.

Well this was the most obvious thing in the world to do. You have cap space, no free agents you want, so use it now to free up more space next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes