PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gillette Stadium to host some 2026 World Cup Games

I live in Vancouver and I’m pretty excited about us getting to host games. My buddies and I will be doing a west coast World Cup trip.

Allow me to borrow a line from Two and a Half Men.
Jake: Soccer is the most watched sport in the world.
Charlie: Then they don't need us.
There's an American soccer podcast called "Men In Blazers", and one of their catchphrases is "Soccer: America's Sport of the Future Since 1972." Always gets a chuckle out of me.

You could make a decent argument that soccer has already caught on to some degree in the US. Not to the extent of the NFL, MLB, or NBA... but it's not exactly Major League Lacrosse or Boxing, either. As a whole, MLS seems fairly healthy, and the TV ratings for International Tournaments are usually pretty strong.

I remember reading Jim Bouton's Ball Four when I was a kid.

One part I remember was when a teammate who was a reliever was being asked by a reporter about blowing a save in the World Series.

His response was, "There's a billion people in China who don't give a damn!".

Puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Where's the championship game being held?

This time soccer will catch on in the US. I'm sure of it!
??? It has already.

Teams average 20k fans a game.

A couple of them, Atlanta and Seattle, average 50k a game.

It seems pretty popular to me.

The Revs are hamstrung by the fact that for most fans in North America, the teams that are in the city do better attendance wise. You're not going to have many Brazilian fans travel from north of Boston to Foxboro as easily as you would if they had a field in the city.

This time soccer will catch on in the US. I'm sure of it!
Its gaining in popularity.

The semi pro team here sells out. The USA national team is pretty good and qualified for the World Cup. USA has beaten Mexico like drum and soccer is like religion in that country. Younger people are being raised playing soccer and love the sport.

Major League Baseball is boring as hell and NBA basketball stinks.

I hope they play it in November in 2026 like they are doing this year. That way it will guarantee the entire nation ignores it because we will all be focused on football.

Its gaining in popularity.

The semi pro team here sells out. The USA national team is pretty good and qualified for the World Cup. USA has beaten Mexico like drum and soccer is like religion in that country. Younger people are being raised playing soccer and love the sport.

Major League Baseball is boring as hell and NBA basketball stinks.
Soccer is for sure growing in popularity. I travel a lot for work and every time there's a champions league or a international tournament it's pretty easy to find a bar with a packed venue just to watch a game or two.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back