PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gillette Stadium moving back to Natural Grass?

Gator Mike

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score

In the past, I know that for high-profile soccer events, the Krafts have paid to have sod laid down over the existing playing surface.

But this seems like more of a permanent thing???

In the past, I know that for high-profile soccer events, the Krafts have paid to have sod laid down over the existing playing surface.

But this seems like more of a permanent thing???

No way FIFA would accept a temporary, jigsaw sodded field......... nor should any pro sport.

Which kind of surface was the reason everyone got hurt on the Washington field? Hopefully not this.

Saw Italy defeat Spain in Foxboro in '94.......full house, great atmosphere

Bob is a skilled professional, he will close this deal by any means possible

python GIF

relapse records money GIF by Red Fang

call hookers GIF

Reminder: the reason they have Field Turf is that the natural grass nearly ended Brady's season in 2006.
We just don't have the climate for the grass to be sustainable in the colder months AND take a pounding.

When they put in sod it doesn't have time for the roots to take hold and makes it dangerous for the players

No way FIFA would accept a temporary, jigsaw sodded field......... nor should any pro sport.
They have in the past.

The last time the World Cup was in the US - 1994 - US Soccer had temporary fields installed at places like Giants Stadium and the Pontiac Silverdome. The tray system they used actually impressed FIFA, and the players had no complaints.

The problem was that the tray system was so difficult to install and maintain that the only soccer event that was worth the expense was the World Cup. Even still, FIFA has allowed events like the Gold Cup and Copa America to be played on temporary grass fields.

We just don't have the climate for the grass to be sustainable in the colder months AND take a pounding.

When they put in sod it doesn't have time for the roots to take hold and makes it dangerous for the players

I don't see how Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland can figure it out, but New England can't.

They have in the past.

The last time the World Cup was in the US - 1994 - US Soccer had temporary fields installed at places like Giants Stadium and the Pontiac Silverdome. The tray system they used actually impressed FIFA, and the players had no complaints.

The problem was that the tray system was so difficult to install and maintain that the only soccer event that was worth the expense was the World Cup. Even still, FIFA has allowed events like the Gold Cup and Copa America to be played on temporary grass fields.

I don't see how Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland can figure it out, but New England can't.
Here is how they (GB) do it. No idea if NE follows this to a T and it's climate-related or they just suck as groundskeepers.

Oh man, this reminds me of the time Brady juked Urlacher outta his socks back in 2006.... that was an awesomely weird game with the black dust coming outta the turf.....

Kansas City has real grass.

The climate is every bit as harsh as NE excluding the amount of snow. I met George Toma the infamous KC grounds keeper who used to prepare all the grass Super Bowl fields. He also traveled around the country consulting others on grass football field management. George told me that he had a gig in Nashua, NH.

I wouldn't use Pittsburgh as an example of a good field. That field is torn to shreds by the 2nd half of the season. Too many teams use that stadium.

Here is how they (GB) do it. No idea if NE follows this to a T and it's climate-related or they just suck as groundskeepers.

Also helps that Lambeau's pretty much for football: " The Lambeau Field lease between the city of Green Bay and the Packers allows for one non-football event a month between February and June, with the Packers having veto power." In Gillette, we have the other type of football, Monster (Truck) Jam, Rammstein, and who knows what else (edit: guess there's a wiki for that - lacrosse, ama supercross, hockey, high school/college football, an army of concerts).

Last edited:
Also helps that Lambeau's pretty much for football: " The Lambeau Field lease between the city of Green Bay and the Packers allows for one non-football event a month between February and June, with the Packers having veto power." In Gillette, we have the other type of football, Monster (Truck) Jam, Rammstein, and who knows what else (edit: guess there's a wiki for that - lacrosse, ama supercross, hockey, high school/college football, an army of concerts).
That's true, but I also think there is a way around that. It costs more money, but still. One way to help, too, is to finally get the Revs stadium built in Boston.

They have in the past.

Pitt, Miami's suck. Chicago, KC and Cleveland do well, yes. It's a money thing.

They have in the past.

I don't know about the other stadiums but Gillette has probably 8-10 Revolution home games from August - November plus high school super bowls, all during the season. Once we get the first frost I'm sure the real turfwill get destroyed just like it did years ago

Kraft should just build a soccer only stadium. Not sure where it would be but i think its time

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back