PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GIF repository

First of several great clips on Nelson. I love this kid's game. He's really good at reducing space in the red zone. Watch him prepare for the two-way go, then play the fade and squeeze the receiver (DJ Moore) toward the sideline. Nelson doesn't panic -- and this is something that I'll bring up more in other clips, because he might be the most comfortable corner in this class at playing out of phase and still getting back into the play -- and disrupts the catch point as well as shoving the receiver out of bounds. He does this again against Michigan (I'll post that later), showing great sideline awareness.

Again with the head's up use of the sideline against the fade route:

Last edited:
Haven't discussed the other Edmunds much. His brother gets more press at linebacker, but lost in the noise is that the safety tested really well, too. Nice job picking up this route. Notice his communication with his teammates when there's motion out of the bunch formation. We could have used that a few times this year! We've been burned on these underneath dig/drag routes a lot. Edmunds has the size and explosive athleticism to play Chung's role. Nice use of timing and long arms to knock the ball away without incurring a DPI penalty.

This isn't an isolated event, either. Not much later in the same game, he makes a very similar play, but aligned farther back from the action. He gets a little flat footed, which might burn him in the pros, but he closes very nicely against the pass and ultimately makes the play.

It's not all perfect, though. He was beaten for two touchdowns this game, although in each case he was in position and just lost sight of the ball. Overall, there's a lot to work with from a tools and traits perspective. He could be good value in the 3rd.

Last edited:
New binky alert.

Jeremy Reaves, CB/S, South Alabama

SOURCES TELL US
"He was a running back in high school and he just has a natural feel for angles to the football. When you watch tape, you see him maneuver around traffic just like a running back would between the tackles. He's tough and he's a leader." -- AFC team scouting director

BOTTOM LINE
Reaves moved from cornerback to safety this season and was able to add functional weight without losing quickness. Reaves is a voracious run supporter, who moves pretty fluidly in coverage and offers the ability to play cover-two or in the box. He could end up falling short with some of the testing numbers, but he has the football character and nose for the football that will be enticing for a team looking for safety depth on Day 3.

2018 NFL Draft Profile: JEREMY REAVES

He has played outside CB, single high free safety and in the next post you’ll see him defending Mike Gesicki in the Senior Bowl so strong safety isn’t out of the question either although size isn’t on his side there at 5’11”, 190lbs although he’s one of the hardest hitters in CFB (three forced fumbles last year and nine in his career)

Last edited:
Finally, here’s an article with a number of gifs on Reaves so if you want to see more, read it. I’ll share one from the article because I love it. He plays the single high safety and yet still makes the tackle on the RB at the line of scrimmage.

My game is Earl

Edit: I love this play. It’s instantaneous recognition of the reverse

Last edited:
BTW, I see Reaves playing the NCB role much in the vein that Kyle Arrington did back in the day but with the flexibility to play every other position in the defensive backfield. Arrington was a great tackler just as Reaves appears to be and tackling is one of my favourite things about Patriots DBs.

He didn’t get an invite to the combine so I’m curious about how he performed at his pro day. I haven’t been able to find those results yet.

BTW, I see Reaves playing the NCB role much in the vein that Kyle Arrington did back in the day but with the flexibility to play every other position in the defensive backfield. Arrington was a great tackler just as Reaves appears to be and tackling is one of my favourite things about Patriots DBs.

He didn’t get an invite to the combine so I’m curious about how he performed at his pro day. I haven’t been able to find those results yet.

April 6 is his pro day, I believe. Patience. ;)

If we're to believe the rumors from free agency so far, this type of versatile defensive back is definitely on their radar screen. Logan Ryan was similar but could play man coverage on the outside much better than Arrington. Adding the ability to play both free and potentially strong safety, and you're looking at someone who can be extremely valuable in both the short term and long-term. Great find!

I'm behind on my promises . . . but I wanted to take some time to talk up Davontae Harris. If we miss out on one of the big names early on, Harris is right up at the top of my list.

I love the press technique, the stickiness through the route, and the awareness to peel off to make the interception. Harris is at his best as a press man corner, where he can use his strength and physicality to make plays, but he shows excellent awareness handing off receivers and making plays in other zones. I'll show you another play in a bit from this same game where he makes a great stop on third down. Stay tuned.

First, though, a nice tackle in goal line defense. He stays square, doesn't overrun the play, and then explodes to the runner and makes a secure open field tackle. I love corners who can tackle.

Look at the awareness and the click and close ability to come off the receiver he's guarding and make the hit. Even if the running back had caught the ball, this would have prevented the first down conversion. Big fan of the situational awareness and the physical play.

Last edited:

Some programs make me very comfortable with their players. Stanford is one of them, a certain safety notwithstanding. I really like Meeks, Reid, and Kalambyi from that defense, and they could all find roles here. Phillips isn't bad, either, although I don't see a need at DT with Valentine returning and Shelton joining the mix.

Kalambabyi vs McClellin, Van Noy, and M. Flowers:

upload_2018-3-18_15-38-12.png

NOTE: Kalambayi is #34, and NOT the player circled by DraftBreakdown.

I like how he has coverage responsibility at first, checks to the run blitz, stays square until he's sure it's not a misdirection play, and then makes a solid tackle. Assignment sound. He rarely will wow the viewer, but he's always where he needs to be, and will make plays more often than not.

Once again, the focus is on #34 (bottom of the screen, end of the line. Watch him peel off from his rush to quickly cover the flat. Then, when he sees the QB scramble, he stays by the line of scrimmage and doesn't overpursue -- notice the difference in footspeed between running to the flat, and then making sure that he's ready but not out of position -- by the time his teammates have sacked the QB, he's back in the frame. He's often around the action, which is something I appreciate from a linebacker.

Last edited:
Just wanted to leave some more Larry Rose III highlights from his monster sophomore campaign when he ran for 1,651 yards (He lit up the Gators defense) and was named 3rd team All-American. He was my favorite non-Panther player in the Sun Belt; hoping we can land him late in the draft or PFA.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back