PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gibson and Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah

Degeneracy Expert
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that I paid less and less attention as last night's game went on, so take all this for what it's worth.

Last night, Gibson and Harper didn't look too far off each other to me. This makes me wonder if, if this trend continued, BB might rather have Harper's youth over Gibson's record of production. After all, if the production is already roughly equivalent, why not go younger and cheaper (and able to return kicks)?

Now, we don't actually know for sure whether they produced comparably well last night. Gibson is clearly higher on the depth chart which means: a) he's got the inside track and b) his production was partially against better competition.

Before last night, I had Gibson on the 53 and Harper on the PS, end of discussion, black and white. But now, I'm not so sure the talent difference is that great and that could force a close call.

Of course, when LaFell comes back, neither of these guys might survive.

I mentioned in another thread that I paid less and less attention as last night's game went on, so take all this for what it's worth.

Last night, Gibson and Harper didn't look too far off each other to me. This makes me wonder if, if this trend continued, BB might rather have Harper's youth over Gibson's record of production. After all, if the production is already roughly equivalent, why not go younger and cheaper (and able to return kicks)?

Now, we don't actually know for sure whether they produced comparably well last night. Gibson is clearly higher on the depth chart which means: a) he's got the inside track and b) his production was partially against better competition.

Before last night, I had Gibson on the 53 and Harper on the PS, end of discussion, black and white. But now, I'm not so sure the talent difference is that great and that could force a close call.

WHEN Lafell comes back, we will have Edelman, LaFell and Amendola. There is plenty of room on the roster for more wide receivers. Posters have 1-3 more on there rosters.

IMHO, Gibson showed that he could play agains the #1's. That, along with experience and good camp, is enough for me to have him as our #4 WR at this point.

Harper succeeded against the scrubs, and he's a returner. We've had lots of this type of receiver in the past.

There is lots of competition for the 0-2 more WR roster spots. It would indeed be good to see more of Harper. He is competing against Dobson, Tyms, Boyce and Krause.

I'm not sure what either did or didn't do that moved by opinion of them.
Anyone in camp should be able to run a combo route and catch a 4 yard pass. I don't think you make a roster by being the guy who is the first option on a 5 yard pass on 2nd and 12, and thats about what I saw.
Not knocking or pimping either guy, just saying what happened on the field last night changed very little for either of them IMO, and I'm surprised you felt you could change a roster decision from that.

I'm not sure what either did or didn't do that moved by opinion of them.
Anyone in camp should be able to run a combo route and catch a 4 yard pass. I don't think you make a roster by being the guy who is the first option on a 5 yard pass on 2nd and 12, and thats about what I saw.
Not knocking or pimping either guy, just saying what happened on the field last night changed very little for either of them IMO, and I'm surprised you felt you could change a roster decision from that.

A misconception about this thread that I think you and other may have is that I'm saying Harper showed he deserves a roster spot. I'm not saying that at all; he's still not on my 53. All I'm saying is maybe we should start considering it a possibility that he gets a spot.

Harper looks to be this years Tyms. He played well last night and had good chemistry with JG. Hoping Tyms can get healthy and play next week to see if he has improved from last year.

Need to see Harper do it against non future walmart employees. Sims, Tyms, Harper, etc. Happens a lot.

Flowers owning the Packers starting LT was exciting. Roberts with good coverage on elite WRs was exciting. Ryan getting torched by a future walmart employee was frustrating. Harper doing well vs. walmart employees = TBD.

He should get the rest of Boyce's preseason snaps.

I think Tyms, Boyce and Dobson will be cut. Tyms and Dobson can't get on the field, and Boyce is horrible. That will leave Edelman, Lafell, Amendola and 2 open spots which I can see Gibson and Harper making it. Then again, there is a LONG time left in camp and 3 more games.

A misconception about this thread that I think you and other may have is that I'm saying Harper showed he deserves a roster spot. I'm not saying that at all; he's still not on my 53. All I'm saying is maybe we should start considering it a possibility that he gets a spot.

I guess my point was how could you determine that from yesterday?

Need to see Harper do it against non future walmart employees. Sims, Tyms, Harper, etc. Happens a lot.

Flowers owning the Packers starting LT was exciting. Roberts with good coverage on elite WRs was exciting. Ryan getting torched by a future walmart employee was frustrating. Harper doing well vs. walmart employees = TBD.

He should get the rest of Boyce's preseason snaps.
The guy that torched Ryan was one of my draft binkies of the 2014 draft. Janis is 6'3" 210, and I believe he ran a sub 4.5 on his Pro Day. Reminds me of a poor man's Jordy Nelson. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the GB Packers.

I think Tyms, Boyce and Dobson will be cut. Tyms and Dobson can't get on the field, and Boyce is horrible. That will leave Edelman, Lafell, Amendola and 2 open spots which I can see Gibson and Harper making it. Then again, there is a LONG time left in camp and 3 more games.

First, we could keep only 4 WR's, given that we now have Chandler as a receiving threat. I'm fine with Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Gibson, Gronkowski, Chandler and White as our 7 receiving options.

Harper, Tyms and Krause are PS candidates. I wouldn't be surprised if Boyce is cut this week.

For me, that leaves Dobson. IMHO, Dobson is competing with himself for the 5th WR position. If he can't play, I would only carry four.

First, we could keep only 4 WR's, given that we now have Chandler as a receiving threat. I'm fine with Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Gibson, Gronkowski, Chandler and White as our 7 receiving options.

Harper, Tyms and Krause are PS candidates. I wouldn't be surprised if Boyce is cut this week.

For me, that leaves Dobson. IMHO, Dobson is competing with himself for the 5th WR position. If he can't play, I would only carry four.

Can Tyms be practice-squadded? I thought you had to be in your first three seasons, this is his fourth.

Because when a playoff game is on the line BB would rather throw for Gibson who has NFL experience and is a proven player instead of Harper.

That said, there still plenty of training camp ahead, do you guys think BB will brought another name or 2 to compete for a WR roster spot when the cuts begin?

Because when a playoff game is on the line BB would rather throw for Gibson who has NFL experience and is a proven player instead of Harper.

THIS. Were in the playoffs and Edelman, LaFell or Amendola goes down. Who do YOU want to replace them...Gibson or Harper?

Chris Harper
Reception yards

Brandon Gibson
Reception yards

Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, and Gibson, plus Gronk and Chandler, would be one solid receiving group. If Dobson doesn't make it, I think Harper has a shot.

THIS. Were in the playoffs and Edelman, LaFell or Amendola goes down. Who do YOU want to replace them...Gibson or Harper?

Chris Harper
Reception yards

Brandon Gibson
Reception yards

Another reply missing the point...when did I ever say that? You're all taking a "maybe we should watch a little closer" as a "this guy will make the 53 and contribute heavily".

Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, and Gibson, plus Gronk and Chandler, would be one solid receiving group. If Dobson doesn't make it, I think Harper has a shot.

I liked what I saw of Harper the other night. Totally better than Boyce, our receiving corp should be really good!!!!!

I liked what I saw of Harper the other night. Totally better than Boyce, our receiving corp should be really good!!!!!
I'm holding my breath a little since he was up against scrubs, but I have been interested in Harper since he was signed as a UDFA. His college highlights are pretty good. I think he has a shot to be a solid NFL receiver with some development.

Another thing Harper has going for him is age. He's only 21 and turns 22 in December. He's the second youngest player on the team behind Brown.

I hope he sticks on the PS if he continues to perform because we are almost nonexistent in the young WR department.

Boyce = awful player
Tyms = 26 year old JAG

Really all we have is Dobson or this kid in the hope of developing a young WR. Lafell is in the last year of his deal next year, Amendola will probably be cut at his cap hit, and we don't have a 1st round pick, so it's something to keep an eye on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes