PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gerald McCoy: Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW Toys

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Gerald McCoy could be in play. He's on board this year for $13mm and the next 2 for $12mm per year roughly. The Bucs don't have enough cash for their pics. Someone has to go and $13mm guy might be that.

Next year and the following he might be a bargain. This year....ok we just lost Flowers for $18mm with decent production. McCoy is 31 (two years younger than Bennett) and is a perennial All Pro (6 times). If we could take some contract redos (McCourty, Hightower espec.) to clear $13mm for a guy we can own for 3 years over a Draft choice who might be another Malcom Brown and mediocrity.

Suh is $14mm (and older than McCoy)
Dareus is $14mm???????
Jernigan is $12mm
Richardson is $12.3mm
Cameron Jordan is $11mm
I can't say any of these above DT's are better than McCoy?
The best;
Aaron Donald is $22mm per year.
Watt is over $16mm

Wore or will wear our Flying Elvis:
Akeem Hicks (why can we never get these guys?) is over $10mm this year and $12mm in 2020 same as McCoy.
Michael Bennett is over $9mm.

What I am saying perhaps not this year, but all three years I think McCoy is a bargain and would have been second in Sacks.

I think the trade capital to get him would be realistic.McCoy and Bennett will help our Defense for run and pass. Mix in Guy and Pennel with a rotation of Wise and Rivers and our D line would look great.

If the Bucs cut him, the Eagles will swoop in as well as the Bills and maybe the Rams. You would have to trade with the Bucs to get him.

The Bucs GM Jason Licht spent time with the Pats and might deal him.
He has to. They have about $1mm cash and need $10mm to sign picks because they are higher up in the Draft. Correct me if I am wrong but we did the Revis (wink wink)all most trade with Licht got him within seconds of his "release".

McCoy seems like a pro's pro and a Pats fit.

Thoughts?
DW Toys

Can't pay him that much money, he'd have to take a sizable paycut. Surprised Tampa didn't cut him. I think he'd have a decent chance to sign here if he's cut.

Gerald McCoy could be in play. He's on board this year for $13mm and the next 2 for $12mm per year roughly. The Bucs don't have enough cash for their pics. Someone has to go and $13mm guy might be that.

Next year and the following he might be a bargain. This year....ok we just lost Flowers for $18mm with decent production. McCoy is 31 (two years younger than Bennett) and is a perennial All Pro (6 times). If we could take some contract redos (McCourty, Hightower espec.) to clear $13mm for a guy we can own for 3 years over a Draft choice who might be another Malcom Brown and mediocrity.

Dareus is $14mm???????
Jernigan is $12mm
Richardson is $12.3mm
Cameron Jordan is $11mm
The best;
Watt is over $16mm

Akeem Hicks (why can we never get these guys?) is over $10mm this year and $12mm in 2020 same as McCoy.

What I am saying perhaps not this year, but all three years I think McCoy is a bargain and would have been second in Sacks.

I think the trade capital to get him would be realistic.McCoy and Bennett will help our Defense for run and pass. Mix in Guy and Pennel with a rotation of Wise and Rivers and our D line would look great.

If the Bucs cut him, the Eagles will swoop in as well as the Bills and maybe the Rams. You would have to trade with the Bucs to get him.

He has to. They have about $1mm cash and need $10mm to sign picks because they are higher up in the Draft. Correct me if I am wrong but we did the Revis (wink wink)all most trade with Licht got him within seconds of his "release".

Thoughts?
DW Toys

We would need to free up $11 million, not counting Allen's contract, still wouldn't have a kicker, and like Tampa Bay, wouldn't be able to pay our rookies.

Can't pay him that much money, he'd have to take a sizable paycut. Surprised Tampa didn't cut him. I think he'd have a decent chance to sign here if he's cut.
Never get him if he is cut. Must trade.
DW Toys

Never get him if he is cut. Must trade.
DW Toys
Why can't we sign him? McCoy has already spoken highly about the Patriots in the past, not sure how he feels about Schiano but he has a lot of respect for Brady and co.

I like the player but I don’t think we can go shopping at Bloomingdales when we can barely afford the Walmart clearance rack.

Uhm, Mr. Brady, Can we line up? Please?

I like the player but I don’t think we can go shopping at Bloomingdales when we can barely afford the Walmart clearance rack.
Ah, the walmart clearance rack, Jim Harbaugh's favourite place to shop.

Assuming we can free up enough cap I'd take him over pick 32 even at that dollar but there are other needs I want to fill first and given how much cap space we have this would be even harder to manage.

Dollar general in buffalo is a good place to shop

Ah, the walmart clearance rack, Jim Harbaugh's favourite place to shop.

I may question some of Jim’s coaching decisions, one thing I’ll never question is how smart he is with his money.

You’re not getting enough cap room from restructures or even extensions with Hightower and McCourty, so call it what it is. It’s a cut/trade Hightower and McCourty thread.

Interesting and provocative thought Toys.

I still don't understand why you think that if McCoy was released we'd never get him and NEED to trade for him. Do you think his price would go up in any bidding war following a release??? If we pick him up after a release we'd be free to structure any new contract in a way we could save some space in the early years of a deal.

BTW- you never got into what we'd have to give up to get him. I wouldn't want to give up that first round pick, but I'd be good with one of the 2nd's.

Here's a plan. With the 32nd pick we grab that top 10 talent DT who tore his ACL and would likely be a non- factor for the bulk of his rookie year. Then trade the Bear's pick to TB for McCoy. Now we'd have a dominant inside presence for the next 2 years, with the possibility of adding a second dominant presence on the cheap for the same time.

Now we, by the end of the season, we'd have 2 elite DT's to go along with a group of workmanlike DE's and LB's to go along with an elite secondary. That would likely turn out to be a very good overall defense

I think we have proven that outside pressure can be schemed. How often have we seen the Pats scheme away other team's "great" outside threats. But immediate inside pressure has the greatest impact on today's passing attack. I would love to get McCoy, but not at the expense of using that first pick for a young version of McCoy.

You must have on helluva dartboard.

Pass.

Dareus is $14mm???????
Jernigan is $12mm
Richardson is $12.3mm
Cameron Jordan is $11mm
The best;
Watt is over $16mm

Thoughts?
DW Toys
We don’t have 13,000,000.
We barely have 13,000.

More like the dollar store
l_a75a9780-6617-11e1-9198-b3cc76f00004.jpg

Belichick can wear his hoodie there.....

Why can't we sign him? McCoy has already spoken highly about the Patriots in the past, not sure how he feels about Schiano but he has a lot of respect for Brady and co.
Because cap.
We don’t have 13,000,000.
We barely have 13,000.
This.
We would need to free up $11 million, not counting Allen's contract, still wouldn't have a kicker, and like Tampa Bay, wouldn't be able to pay our rookies.
And this.

Someone, or multiple someones, is/are going to have to restructure to get this much cap space.

Or:

You’re not getting enough cap room from restructures or even extensions with Hightower and McCourty, so call it what it is. It’s a cut/trade Hightower and McCourty thread.

I don't want them to go thru a personnel retooling where they have guys that understand what needs to be done to win and have done it when the stakes are highest as long as Tom Brady is here. Now, if guys retire, then, to coin a phrase, it is what it is.

Andy, CPG and Sciz are right "on the money" on this one. Unfortunately, we can't just collect nice, shiny things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back