Game Thoughts - Pats crash in Jetsland Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go:

• I lay this loss at the feet of Brady and the o-line. Once the Jets dialed up the pressure in the second half, they both folded. Wendell is a liability at times, but I don't know if Cannon can play RG after last week to slide Connolly back to center. Brady overrelied on Gronk far too much and he was making stupid throws all afternoon. I don't want to hear about Brady getting old crap, but he needs to pull his head out of his arse at times.

• The final penalty was an obscure penalty that has never been called before today, but I blame the player and not the refs on that play. It is a new rule this year and everyone on the FG blocking team needs to know it. It provided no advantage to the Pats on that play and considering how far the kick was, all the Pats had to do on that play was not commit a penalty. They blew it.

• I know the defense had a lot of ups and downs. And some of the downs were God-awful. But I was encouarged by some things especially with the rookie DTs. When Kelly comes back, the rotation of Kelly, Vellano, and Jones (and possibly Armstead if he can don anything this year) will be solid.

• Also, like a lot of the play by Logan Ryan. He made a nice heads up INT and did fairly well in coverage.

• We got the 2012 Kyle Arrington today when we absolutely needed the 2013 version.

• Good to see Gronk back. Clearly not 100%, but showed flashes of the old Gronk. In a few weeks, he should be farther back to 100%.

• People cry about predictable play calling on this team, but that is such an overrated complaint. Case and point, the Jets' overtime drive. The Pats knew exactly what they were trying to do and the Pats couldn't stop them until they got close to field goal range. Sometimes the best way to take the heart out of an opposing defense is when they know what is coming and can't stop it anyway.

• I am not going to cry about the injuries today. Yes, the Pats' defense would have played better if Mayo, Talib, and Kelly were playing. But that doesn't change the fact the offense played so bad and Amendola wasn't going to be the difference today on offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough call but probably correct. More stupid rule than bad call. Short handed on the road. Meh.

Brady has had poor stretches in almost every game this season. If he just doesn't totally fall apart in the third quarter like he did, the Patriots walk away with this game as they should have.

As for the penalty, that has to be the most bogus play since the tuck rule, but at least the tuck rule had been called in the game before. The first time that rule is called shouldn't be at that point in a game. Still it should never have come down to that.

can't drop 2 division games in a row...next week I expect the pats to come out on fire at home

I hope some of the people who have been critical of Mayo realize just how good he's been this year in particular. Hightower was a major liability in man coverage. Against the Jets you have to use him but against some of the pass heavy teams I think we may see more Fletcher.

I have to agree on this one being more on Brady and the O-Line. The pick 6 to start the second half completely changed the tone of that game. He missed Dobson on what would have been a TD. Under threw Gronk to end another drive when it was broken up. Gronk almost bailed him out on another one hander that if lower he walks into the end zone.

What a dumb penalty by Chandler Jones. He should know better than that.

The Rutgers twins Ryan and Harmon have been coming on. Solid coverage all day even without the pick six which was sweet.

Devon McCorty is underrated. He is always making the right read and a big play. That break up on the TD was awesome and several key tackles.

Thompkins seems to be sliding down Brady's favorite receivers list. Dobson has jumped him and with Gronk and Collie he's really slid.

Even though the rookie DTs have played well I'd still like the Pats to make a move for a DT in a trade. Receiver doesn't make sense because of the chemistry required so I've wanted this even before Vince and Kelly went down but even more now.

Even though the rookie DTs have played well I'd still like the Pats to make a move for a DT in a trade. Receiver doesn't make sense because of the chemistry required so I've wanted this even before Vince and Kelly went down but even more now.

If Kelly is coming back soon, I'd be OK with standing pat.

If they can get a good deal, I'd be OK with trading for a DT and waiving Forston.

I have to say I'm very disappointed in Brady. After working so hard with the rookie receivers, he pretty much abandoned them as soon as he got some vets back. His constant targeting of Gronk was incredibly predictable.

That interior line is getting chewed up. Starting two years ago, they should have started drafting replacements especially given the generally slow learning curve of the offensive line. Wendell HAS to be gone from the starting lineup and soon. Either with the suggested Cannon slide (what about Svitek, btw?) or starting next year.

I think this year has seen the end of the screen play for the Pats. Are my eyes deceiving me or has nearly every screen this year resulted in negative or minimal yardage....even on the rare occasion it's complete?

I know it's early but Jamie Collins is giving me that sinking Jermaine Cunningham/Shawn Crable feeling.

Speaking of linebackers, I wonder if anyone else thinks that our current linebacking corps is largely outdated. IE: big and slow. With the drafting of the aforementioned Collins/Cunningham/Crable, however, I wonder if Belichick has a good read on these modern pass rushing style linebackers.

Here we go:

[*]I know the defense had a lot of ups and downs. And some of the downs were God-awful. But I was encouarged by some things especially with the rookie DTs. When Kelly comes back, the rotation of Kelly, Vellano, and Jones (and possibly Armstead if he can don anything this year) will be solid.

[/LIST]

I'm also quite confident about our DT situation considering the situation. Should be solid if Kelly is healthy when it matters, can still be very good if Armstead provides anything.

I am a bit worried about the LB's though, Hightower today really concerned me. Both him and Spikes seem like liabilities in coverage, and we need both of them.

The DTs are a big surprise, especially considering where they came from. Logan Ryan and Harmon are also credible DBs, but we are still short 1 whenever Arrington is more than 5 yds from the LOS.

On the other side, the Hightower experiment failed. He is not only slow, he is also lost in space (poor anticipation, poor judgment). All the more disappointing considering his experience and where he came from. I hope Fletcher and Collins see more reps next week.

But the loss sits squarely with Brady and the offense. Brady has three sub-50% games for the first time in his career (and it wasn't drops). I was hoping the new WRs would take a step up, but instead they disappeared (Dobson and Thomkins with 5 catches for 50 yards between them). If this is what we are going to get from them, it does not bode well.

I'm also quite confident about our DT situation considering the situation. Should be solid if Kelly is healthy when it matters, can still be very good if Armstead provides anything.

I am a bit worried about the LB's though, Hightower today really concerned me. Both him and Spikes seem like liabilities in coverage, and we need both of them.

I think the Pats can cover up the liabilities at LB in coverage when they are full strength. No Talib made the safeties have to assist more on the outside which gave the Jets favorable match ups inside.

BTW, I wonder if the Pats consider switching positions between Ninkovich and Hightower. I think Nink might be a better cover guy.

Come playoffs...losing Mayo is going to hurt a lot

The pats have had issues with these types of teams for years. Look back to our playoff losses in 2012(ravens), 2011(giants) 2010(jets) and our losses this year..its a common theme. Our o-line ends up getting dominated by the other teams D-line and brady cant do anything.

I'm expecting a better performance next week. An extra week for Gronk to get in better sync with brady, and the dolphins at home? hopefully also getting Amendola/talib(maybe kelly?) back

Here we go:

• I lay this loss at the feet of Brady and the o-line. Once the Jets dialed up the pressure in the second half, they both folded. Wendell is a liability at times, but I don't know if Cannon can play RG after last week to slide Connolly back to center. Brady overrelied on Gronk far too much and he was making stupid throws all afternoon. I don't want to hear about Brady getting old crap, but he needs to pull his head out of his arse at times.
  • The final penalty was an obscure penalty that has never been called before today, but I blame the player and not the refs on that play. It is a new rule this year and everyone on the FG blocking team needs to know it. It provided no advantage to the Pats on that play and considering how far the kick was, all the Pats had to do on that play was not commit a penalty. They blew it.
  • I know the defense had a lot of ups and downs. And some of the downs were God-awful. But I was encouarged by some things especially with the rookie DTs. When Kelly comes back, the rotation of Kelly, Vellano, and Jones (and possibly Armstead if he can don anything this year) will be solid.
  • Also, like a lot of the play by Logan Ryan. He made a nice heads up INT and did fairly well in coverage.
  • We got the 2012 Kyle Arrington today when we absolutely needed the 2013 version.
  • Good to see Gronk back. Clearly not 100%, but showed flashes of the old Gronk. In a few weeks, he should be farther back to 100%.
  • People cry about predictable play calling on this team, but that is such an overrated complaint. Case and point, the Jets' overtime drive. The Pats knew exactly what they were trying to do and the Pats couldn't stop them until they got close to field goal range. Sometimes the best way to take the heart out of an opposing defense is when they know what is coming and can't stop it anyway.
  • I am not going to cry about the injuries today. Yes, the Pats' defense would have played better if Mayo, Talib, and Kelly were playing. But that doesn't change the fact the offense played so bad and Amendola wasn't going to be the difference today on offense.

Everyone's critism here is valid and you are allowed to feel how you want.

Brady had a poor game, The OL played Poorly, Arrington had his worst game in a while.

But the reality is this, last week we had a game winning drive with time winding down and won the game. This week we did the same thing but instead of a winning TD, Gronk couldn't make the catch and we settled for a field goal. It's honestly that simple. Gronk catches that ball that basically hits him in the head and the pats win today.

It's a Game of inches and last week we made the great comeback play this week we didn't.

Last week we had the fans that blow which ever way the wind does tell us we are ready for SB glory. This week we suck and can't beat anyone and the jets may overtake us for the Playoffs.

Reality is ATM we are 5-2 lead the Div and have a bye week coming up. I still can't believe our run D did the job again this game and it came up again holding it the field goal attempt to a 56 yarder.

This team IMO is playoff bound. it's where we are as a team once we get there that is the question. I do agree with some posters here though. Brady definately was looking for Gronk all day today.

Jets started 6 of 6 3rd down conversions. they ended 11 of 21 (so went 5-15 after that opening).

now, our 3rd down offense is atrocious and I don't know what the problem is, but they need to come out on fire.

I look at it this way. This was the Jets Superbowl and they won a home game. They were more amped up for the game and their defensive line was tough. I hope the film breakdown leads to a great week of practice.

Getting tired of the overthrows to Dobson. Clearly getting separation from the defenders and Brady just sails it over his head.

That call reminds me of something out of the nba play book. Subjective and you can change the outcome of a game with it with the steep 15 yard penalty that goes along with it. Too much power for one ref to have IMO. Alas it stinks of Nielson ratings come playoff time. Like holding that crap happens on every play.

For all the Mayo doesn't make big plays fans. How did you like the coverage today?

Couple of drops today but. I think the bad throws and Brady's decision making took the cake today.

Defense played well enough again giving up 20 points and and playing from terrible field position due to the offensive sputtering. Give the Jets defense some credit though. They had something to do with that.

All said, I knew it would be a tough game and am not completely surprised by the loss considering the injuries. Mayo and Wilfork are gone for the year and we'll just have to get used to that. Fortunately they will have Talib and Kelly back soon with Armstead ready to make some kind of superman addition when he is ready. Oh yeah and maybe Amendola can come back and play another couple of games before going out again? Talk about bad luck.

Getting tired of the overthrows to Dobson. Clearly getting separation from the defenders and Brady just sails it over his head.

Dobson has been beating a lot of CBs this year...problem is brady can't get him the ball...it's really bad

I am starting to think brady is incapable of hitting any kind of bomb where the wr catches it in stride. In the fourth, the pass where dobson was streaking down the sideline could have won us the game and it wasn't even close. Then you see brady screaming at dobson in ot for not running the back shoulder correctly and that kinda annoyed me. Brady should tone it down considering he is throwing pick6 and missing guys left and right. Also, how come we don't run any pitches? Everytime I seen bolden running to the edge I thought maybe he could turn the corner if he wasn't waiting for a slow handoff.

I was surprised at how badly jeremy kerley schooled kyle arrington. And I still don't want to see cole get any kind of snaps. I have always wanted our linebackers to physically look like mayo and fletcher but our team insists on the opposite. Hulking guys like collins, spikes, and hightower. For a lb, Hightower is basically morbidly obese. For the most part, our secondary played pretty well.

Lastly, I wouldn't be that happy even if we had won this game. I didn't really enjoy this game just like I didn't enjoy the first matchup against the jets. The bengals game was more entertaining than both of these jet games and that game had no offense at all.

Dobson has been beating a lot of CBs this year...problem is brady can't get him the ball...it's really bad

Well its 2 fold. Brady has been missing him and when he has been hitting him Dobson has dropped a tonne of balls.

All we can do is hope we get incrementally better each week ready for a playoff run

Quick thoughts.

Bad way to lose a game.

TFB simply didn't play well enough, and you cannot blame the WR corps this time.
Let's go Tom!

OLine was terribile. Nate Solder played one of the worst game of his carreer.

Boyce another time inactive.

Let's talk about defense.

Chandler Jones had 6 sacks last season, 6.5 this season. Great prospect. He works hard and he's going to be a dominant player.

Hightower.
Another bad game. Look at Geno Smith's TD. He seems to be absolutely lost.

Now, maybe that's BB's fault. Maybe he's simply not a coverage LB and you cannot put him on the field in this type of situation.

Hope he'll improve. Was good on his rookie year.

Logan Ryan.

@MikeReiss: Pats ranked Logan Ryan 4th among draft class DBs in ball disruption behind Milliner, Hayden, Mathieu.

And you can see why. Great game.

Nice to see Gronk back on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes