PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: Houston, we had no problem (with you) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts, after watching the game a second time, with a special eye to the DL and OL

- Solder was a man in the running game. He and Thuney on the left ganged up to open a lot of space on that side, pretty regularly. With Develin as lead blocker, Blount regularly ran left for big yardage.
- That long breakout touchdown run at the end, Blount broke McKinney's tackle and after that it was Develin, Hogan and Edelman that sprung him for the TD. Amazing downfield blocking
- I owe Martellus Bennett a sincere apology. I had him on my pre-season list of veteran FAs that would wash out in TC. I was wrong, wrong, wrong, so wrong. The guy is an incredible run blocker, terrific hands, speed and agility for his size. Not only isn't he a scrub, he's a serious weapon and a gutty player.
- Crazy what a difference a Dante makes. The Pats running game is back online, Blount is running as well as he was back before Dante retired. Just underlines how important coaching is, and how a good OL can transform a running back
- Brissett has a nice game, kept it in front of him. What I liked best is all the intangible things that signal what a heady and mature kid he is. Not just how he handles the team at the line, but how he saves the TD ball for his Head Coach. Composed.

- For the defense... shutout, wow. Against a legit playoff caliber team
- Flowers is so underrated. This was his coming out party.
- The swarming pass rush against the Texans starts with Chris Long. But Sheard, Flowers, Johnson, and McClellin were all upfield to pressure Osweiler, and without conceding anything to the run. This unit is impressive, and when you think that Ninkovich, Rufus and Grissom are all on the shadow roster it's pretty cool to think that the team is 8 solid players deep at the spot.
- Collins was flying around. It doesn't even impress me anymore when he makes those incredible athletic plays, tackle for loss, INT on the seam pass, inside pressure. Ho-hum, just another day at the office.
- This is the best secondary we've had in a few years. They've matured as a unit and there's no weak link for an O to pick on. As OP said, Logan Ryan does not get nearly enough credit for his tough physical play on the star receivers of each team. Of course, Butler is firey and competitive and was exceptional in run support again. Flawless play by the safeties Harmon, McCourty and Chung (who's basically playing LB) that really stifled the Texans attack. The Texans got nothing downfield that they didn't earn the hard way. Hopkins made his handful of un-defendable one handed catches on the sideline, but that was it. Can't do it any better.

- Punter Allen had a historic night. ST coverage units are so stacked, it seems unfair. What a weapon. How many forced fumbles leading to TDs? Punts downed inside the 20? Ebner, Slater, Richards, Mingo, King. Everytime down the field, it's a different guy making a play.

- Belichick the GM. When an already really good team adds players like Long, Bennett and Mingo. Plus, developing players like Thuney, Coleman, Flowers, Johnson... it just seems unfair. This roster is crazy stacked, and they play as a unit.
- This is one of the strongest teams we've had in Foxboro in the last few years. Deep and multifaceted. The coaching staff is epic and experienced. We won't know the ceiling on this team until they play out the season, but it sure feels like a special group. Where is the weak link? I don't see it.

Gonna add a Huzzah to this one...it's and yes it's only 3 weeks and the other backs haven't played yet but look...

View attachment 14204

Also has 4 total TD which leads the league. Oh and one more thing..

I post these to say, perhaps Blount may be the offseason signing we look toward at the end of the year that paid dividends. That was a signing that went so under the radar nationally, and this guy, along with the OL run blocking like bosses, is showing out. Long way from walking off the field in Pissburgh on MNF, eh?

"Why didn't we draft a running back???" :eek::eek::eek:

My thoughts, after watching the game a second time, with a special eye to the DL and OL

- Solder was a man in the running game. He and Thuney on the left ganged up to open a lot of space on that side, pretty regularly. With Develin as lead blocker, Blount regularly ran left for big yardage.
- That long breakout touchdown run at the end, Blount broke McKinney's tackle and after that it was Develin, Hogan and Edelman that sprung him for the TD. Amazing downfield blocking
- I owe Martellus Bennett a sincere apology. I had him on my pre-season list of veteran FAs that would wash out in TC. I was wrong, wrong, wrong, so wrong. The guy is an incredible run blocker, terrific hands, speed and agility for his size. Not only isn't he a scrub, he's a serious weapon and a gutty player.
- Crazy what a difference a Dante makes. The Pats running game is back online, Blount is running as well as he was back before Dante retired. Just underlines how important coaching is, and how a good OL can transform a running back
- Brissett has a nice game, kept it in front of him. What I liked best is all the intangible things that signal what a heady and mature kid he is. Not just how he handles the team at the line, but how he saves the TD ball for his Head Coach. Composed.

- For the defense... shutout, wow. Against a legit playoff caliber team
- Flowers is so underrated. This was his coming out party.
- The swarming pass rush against the Texans starts with Chris Long. But Sheard, Flowers, Johnson, and McClellin were all upfield to pressure Osweiler, and without conceding anything to the run. This unit is impressive, and when you think that Ninkovich, Rufus and Grissom are all on the shadow roster it's pretty cool to think that the team is 8 solid players deep at the spot.
- Collins was flying around. It doesn't even impress me anymore when he makes those incredible athletic plays, tackle for loss, INT on the seam pass, inside pressure. Ho-hum, just another day at the office.
- This is the best secondary we've had in a few years. They've matured as a unit and there's no weak link for an O to pick on. As OP said, Logan Ryan does not get nearly enough credit for his tough physical play on the star receivers of each team. Of course, Butler is firey and competitive and was exceptional in run support again. Flawless play by the safeties Harmon, McCourty and Chung (who's basically playing LB) that really stifled the Texans attack. The Texans got nothing downfield that they didn't earn the hard way. Hopkins made his handful of un-defendable one handed catches on the sideline, but that was it. Can't do it any better.

- Punter Allen had a historic night. ST coverage units are so stacked, it seems unfair. What a weapon. How many forced fumbles leading to TDs? Punts downed inside the 20? Ebner, Slater, Richards, Mingo, King. Everytime down the field, it's a different guy making a play.

- Belichick the GM. When an already really good team adds players like Long, Bennett and Mingo. Plus, developing players like Thuney, Coleman, Flowers, Johnson... it just seems unfair. This roster is crazy stacked, and they play as a unit.
- This is one of the strongest teams we've had in Foxboro in the last few years. Deep and multifaceted. The coaching staff is epic and experienced. We won't know the ceiling on this team until they play out the season, but it sure feels like a special group. Where is the weak link? I don't see it.

Great job RockBoston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick