PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney Signed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this doesn't light a fire under chad's ass then nothing will. He better be already starting his trainig camp workouts increasing his abilities and on that playbook. I would like to see him set up his own training camp with brady, the oline, and recievers to work on timing now.

Thats what Im thinking too.

You deal Welker at the top of his game. I thought the Pats would deal Welker last season because Edleman was ready. He wasnt, and may never be. With that lineup, plus the TEs, I think the Pats would be OK.

How much could Welker bring? At least a 2nd and another pick.

Since it's next season's draft, he's worth a First. A team like Chicago, SF, Dallas, Seattle (maybe) and that's just the other Conference. Chicago is the most likely landing spot, Welker would make them comparable to GB. The selection would be from developed teams and would most likely be a late First (when all is said and done).

This assumes he signs his Tender and he has a deal in-place with Chicago (or whomever). Otherwise, we can't trade him.

The most important part of trading Welker is using the money to lock up Gronkowski and (maybe) Hernandez. I'm not in favor of trading him if we don't plan on using his cap savings to lock up our younger players. You can add Chung, Vollmer, Spikes and anyone else with over two years experience that can be extended. It's more important than the actual draft pick.

If this doesn't light a fire under chad's ass then nothing will. He better be already starting his trainig camp workouts increasing his abilities and on that playbook. I would like to see him set up his own training camp with brady, the oline, and recievers to work on timing now.

Memo: Chad is done. He has been done for a long time. Either you are on Brady's wavelength or you're not. When a player meshes into the offense, ala Moss/Welker/Gaffney/Gronk/Branch/Brown, it is seemless and appears perfect and easy. When you do not, ala Jackson/Watson/Galloway/Ochocinco, there is no transition or learning curve, you just don't get it and that's the end.

Last edited:
Why would you do that now though? Takes away an elite weapon for the 2012 season for nothing in return??

NE did not franchise Welker to get nothing in return. The whole premise of the tag is (1) To buy time to work out a long term contract and (2) to protect your interest in said player. You guys crow about "Value", well, there is your value.

You make it sound like nobody could catch passes from Brady should Welker hit the highway. The Pats have redundancy at WR. Do you mean to tell me that Branch cant play the slot and get open like Welker? The Pats have won Championships with Troy Brown in the slot.

If you're really concerned about getting a pick for him, they'll get a 3rd round compensatory pick if he leaves in FA next year.

Ridiculous. Welker is worth more than that and BB knows it. Some team might cough up a 1st.

I respectfully strongly disagree with that strategy. Signing RB's to huge deals in FA is never a good idea, esp when you already have Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen.

The Pats run game is a weak spot. Weaker actually with BJGE gone. Brady will have more bad games and who knows if Ridley or any of those guys can be effective.

As usual it didn't take much to bring the "trade Welker" idiots out of their hole. It reminds me of the last thing a redneck says to his buddies " Hey guys, watch this..........."

I hope they are using plastic knives and forks.

..one thing about him is intersting though, he's really come on strong over the past 3 seasons, each time taking a step down in QB.

Jabar Gaffney Stats - ESPN

Thanks for the link. I was going to try to be a wise guy and challenge people who are excited by what he did in '06 or '07 — a lifetime ago by NFL standards. But them are some good numbers. Very nice.

NE did not franchise Welker to get nothing in return. The whole premise of the tag is (1) To buy time to work out a long term contract and (2) to protect your interest in said player. You guys crow about "Value", well, there is your value.

You make it sound like nobody could catch passes from Brady should Welker hit the highway. The Pats have redundancy at WR. Do you mean to tell me that Branch cant play the slot and get open like Welker? The Pats have won Championships with Troy Brown in the slot.

Ridiculous. Welker is worth more than that and BB knows it. Some team might cough up a 1st.

The Pats run game is a weak spot. Weaker actually with BJGE gone. Brady will have more bad games and who knows if Ridley or any of those guys can be effective.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

They franchised Samuel and Vinatieri then let them walk. The third premise of the tag is to get one more year out of a player without having to commit to a huge deal.

If you feel like having a laugh, start playing around with New England formations and personnel groupings on offense.

These words in bold about sum it up

Fire the P.O.S. And move on,let him go start another TV show or star in a movie with a WWE wrestler :rolleyes:

My prediction of how "the rest" end up:

Edelman: cut (Vereen takes over PR and KR)
Ebert: PS
Underwood: Cut
Gonzalez: Cut
Ochocinco: Cut
Branch: #4 WR
Stallworth: #5 WR
Slater: #6/ST

We keep 6, I don't see 7.

I just hope that they don't keep Branch,just because TB likes him......With Gaffney,he doesn't belong in this group.I like Stallworth as a deep threat.I also would rather have Edelperson,rather than Slater,but I don't think that will happen.

I consider Hernandez as a Wr,so I don't see BB keeping more than 5wr's.......6 would cost you an RB or FB......7wr's?......forget it....too many,imo.Cutting this roster down to 53 will be a b-tch......and don't sell out Gonzalez,too soon.If healthy,he's a heck of a slot receiver.

I just hope that they don't keep Branch,just because TB likes him......With Gaffney,he doesn't belong in this group.I like Stallworth as a deep threat.I also would rather have Edelperson,rather than Slater,but I don't think that will happen.

My only concern with Stallworth is if he's lost some of his speed, as I believe his role has generally been the deep threat. I still remember that play in '07 with the deep pass from Brady in the Colts game.

-Jamman

Last edited:
If you feel like having a laugh, start playing around with New England formations and personnel groupings on offense.

I like how you can put out a personnel grouping that can be anything from 5 wide to an i-formation look.

I wasn't here for '07.

...looks like I'm going to get a chance to see it for real.

Last edited:
What does this imply about Welker negotiations?

(Hopefully nothing)

(Hopefully nothing)

I'd think it gives the Patriots a slightly more leverage, they've signed someone who got near 1000 yards with Grossman & Beck throwing him the ball who can play in the slot.

Woohoo! Awesome--Belichick getting the band back together.

He's loaded for bear this year. :rocker:

I consider Hernandez as a Wr,so I don't see BB keeping more than 5wr's.......6 would cost you an RB or FB......7wr's?......forget it....too many,imo.Cutting this roster down to 53 will be a b-tch......and don't sell out Gonzalez,too soon.If healthy,he's a heck of a slot receiver.

You can count Slater as a ST only player as others do, that'd leave 5 WRs for the 5 WR spots.

(Hopefully nothing)

Nothing. It says that BB is pissed that any team that can flood the middle of the field can slow down the offense and that one Gronk injury can cost us the Superbowl so he has brought in 2 outside guys that know the system (unlike Ocho) and should be able to contribute immediately.

If our defense pans out with the rookies, McCourty regaining form, and Ras-I coming back this team could be scary good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore