PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Full 1st round mock plus my Patriots 7 rounder

I think you did a great job with your mock. There's a chance none of your first three make it.

1. Shaq is a Tampa 2 a Will. No evidence he can play safety. In our 4-2-5, I don't see a fit for him.

2. Is Rollins fast enough to play CB?

3. Big jump from Hobart to blocking; Suh, Dareus and Wilkerson/Richardson.

I like Fisher with your board. I'm much more confident in him than Marpet. Maybe PJ Williams or Darby fall past 50 and we can move up for one of them. I like Hardison and Mike Davis.Smelter is a great pick too.

1. Shaq is a Tampa 2 a Will. No evidence he can play safety. In our 4-2-5, I don't see a fit for him.

Shaq Thompson started out as a safety for Steve Sarkisian.
Washington coach Steve Sarkisian, now at USC, believes Thompson's future is at linebacker, although he moved him to safety.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...ristmas-washington-brother-syd-quan-thompsono

He even took snaps at safety in their loss to Stanford this year.
Played outside and inside as a linebacker and took snaps at safety against Stanford.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/shaq-thompson?id=2552447

He has almost the same measurements as LB Jonathan Casillas who BB called a "four down player"
http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/10/2...-new-linebacker-jonathan-casillas-a-four-down and filled in for Hightower in the San Diego game

3. With Dont'a Hightower out of action with a shoulder injury, Jonathan Casillas stepped into a full-time role for the Patriots defense, playing 51 total snaps (89%). The Patriots used him as a blitzer, in coverage, and in run defense. He was a three down player, and while he wasn't the beast that was Jamie Collins, he was far from a liability. Bill Belichick's midseason pick-ups this season have been nothing short of extraordinary.
http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/12/9...ap-counts-is-the-patriots-offense-predictable

With Hightower and Mayo coming off injuries, there will be snaps available for a LB like Shaq in training camp/pre-season games and maybe early regular season games if BB want to limit the snap count of Mayo or Hightower.

In addition, Shaq could provide BB a capable backup LB for running the 4-2-5 (which we run heavily) this season while also providing a security blanket with Mayo's redone contract and Hightower's upcoming option year.

Here is a good article that breakdown Shaq's skills.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2014/futures-washington-lbdbrb-shaq-thompson

Last edited:
I like most of your picks but I have to confess that I'd be a little disappointed by your first two picks. They're both good players but I just don't think they have the upside that we've been hitting of late in the early part of the draft. It's a draft I could easily get behind after the draft but it's one I suspect would leave me a little flat once the picks are made (still referring to the first two picks, I'd be ****-a-hoop with the rest of the draft).

I agree with Manxman with the first two picks, especially with Eddie Goldman still on the board which fills a need for the departed Vince Wilfork.

I don't see the need of safety as a high priority with all five safeties returning for the New England Patriots defense during the 2015 NFL Season.

Also not a fan of Ty Sambrailo, the 2015 NFL Draft's version of the Pillsbury Doughboy.

Big picture, I would trade a 2015 first round draft pick and a 2015 third round draft pick to the Baltimore Ravens if cornerback Kevin Johnson is still on the board. Wide receiver Devin Smith is still most likely on the board with the 32nd overall selection.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=ne

I like most of your picks but I have to confess that I'd be a little disappointed by your first two picks. They're both good players but I just don't think they have the upside that we've been hitting of late in the early part of the draft. It's a draft I could easily get behind after the draft but it's one I suspect would leave me a little flat once the picks are made (still referring to the first two picks, I'd be ****-a-hoop with the rest of the draft).
I have to tell you, the first two picks were a real struggle for me too. I really wanted one of the corners to fall to #32. I am really high on Rollins, but I would not expect him to give immediate help, but I think 3-5 years down the road he could be talked about as one of the best corners from this class.
With #32, if the board worked out this way, I would want to trade down, but I think that BB may like what Thompson brings to the table.
I thought it was a fun new scenario and it made me think how the rest of the draft would play out for the Patriots if they went with a curveball in round 1.

I don't see Amari Cooper lasting until pick #11.

I have to tell you, the first two picks were a real struggle for me too. I really wanted one of the corners to fall to #32. I am really high on Rollins, but I would not expect him to give immediate help, but I think 3-5 years down the road he could be talked about as one of the best corners from this class.
With #32, if the board worked out this way, I would want to trade down, but I think that BB may like what Thompson brings to the table.
I thought it was a fun new scenario and it made me think how the rest of the draft would play out for the Patriots if they went with a curveball in round 1.

I can certainly see Thompson happening and I can certainly get behind it if it does, it's just that pre-draft he's a little down the list in terms of priorities.

I think Rollins' lack of athleticism makes him an unlikely draft pick in the first two rounds at least although at some point his value recovers if he drops. But BBs skill position players tend to be plus athletes. Would never rule anything out though.

I can certainly see Thompson happening and I can certainly get behind it if it does, it's just that pre-draft he's a little down the list in terms of priorities.

I think Rollins' lack of athleticism makes him an unlikely draft pick in the first two rounds at least although at some point his value recovers if he drops. But BBs skill position players tend to be plus athletes. Would never rule anything out though.
I can't really argue with anything you said here. I may think Rollins is a better athlete than his numbers dictate and I think his instincts are off the charts, which pushes him up for me some.

I like Rollins quite a bit and even though he may end up at safety I think at 64 he's a good value. I think he's probably off the board. I love his instincts and break on the ball as well.

With the way your first round went I'd have no problem taking Eric Rowe at 32. I think your draft has an element of boom or bust which I appreciate since I tend to take chances after the first round as well.

Nice job, but FFD's theory is the CBs go earlier than projected so I am pretty sure that Trae Waynes does not last until 20. More like 5-10.

Not so sure that the Packers would go for Jalen Collins at 30. Personally I would take him until round 2 or 3. He seems a bit oversized and oafish, but heck I am just an amateur. Quinten Rollins seemed to be way out of position on some play; I think he is very raw.

Let's see how this plays out tomorrow, but my theory is that teams are desperate for CBs and they go earlier than projected.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back