PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free-agent linebacker Heath Farwell to visit Pats [re-signed with Vikes 3/6/09]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots to host free-agent Heath Farwell - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

The Patriots are scheduled to host free-agent linebacker Heath Farwell on a visit at Gillette Stadium this week.

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported that Farwell was believed to be visiting the Patriots. That information has since been confirmed by the Boston Globe.

Farwell, 27, is considered a strong special teams player. He led the Vikings in special teams tackles in 2006 and 2007. As Jensen writes:

The Patriots interest in Farwell makes sense, because they have not re-signed long-time special teams ace Larry Izzo. A three-time Pro Bowl selection, Izzo, 34, is currently a free-agent.

Mike is busy tonight.:)

Last edited:
Re: Free-agent linebacker Heath Farwell to visit Pats

I can't believe I was reading this as "Pats hosting Heath farewell" for free agent Heath (Evans). :eek:

No idea how I missed the word linebacker, twice.

It's time for Larry to go. Bring on Heath.

Is there an scout report on Farwell.......

Is there an scout report on Farwell.......
Missed 2008 due to tearing the ACL in his right knee in a pre-season game.

Had signed a one-year contract for $1.4 million last March as a RFA.

Joined Minnesota as an UDFA from San Diego State in 2005. He started the year on the practice squad, then made the roster as a special teams player in October.

Led Minnesota in special teams tackles in 2007. Was named Vikings' Special Teams MVP in both 2006 and 2007. Also recovered two onside kicks in 2007.

Looks like he could be a solid ST contributor, depending on how well hes recovered from this ACL injury of course and pending a physical.

Missed 2008 due to tearing the ACL in his right knee in a pre-season game.

Had signed a one-year contract for $1.4 million last March as a RFA.

Joined Minnesota as an UDFA from San Diego State in 2005. He started the year on the practice squad, then made the roster as a special teams player in October.

Led Minnesota in special teams tackles in 2007. Was named Vikings' Special Teams MVP in both 2006 and 2007. Also recovered two onside kicks in 2007.

thanks for the imfo.....pass the med....why not a try.....

I can't believe I was reading this as "Pats hosting Heath farewell" for free agent Heath (Evans). :eek:

No idea how I missed the word linebacker, twice.

Same here. I thought Evans was bidding the Patriots farewell.

Meet your new starting OLB! :rolleyes:

He sounds like camp competition for Alexander's ST spot.

Farwell would be a great replacement for Izzo in New England if his knee checks out. The guy has been the Vikings best special teamer since making the team as a UDFA out of San Diego State. It's not a coincidence that the Vikings gave up a league record 7 returns for TD's this year...the year Farwell went down in preseason.

It has been reported in the Twin Cities that Farwell had hoped to go someplace where he could play linebacker as he didn't see a chance to crack the Vikings starting trio. In Minnesota, he played mostly the strongside spot in their 4-3 defense when he did see the field in preseaon and as a replacement.

I don't think he'd get a real shot at LB for the Pats, but I do think he'd likely to a better job if forced in to action at one of the ILB spots than Izzo would at this stage of his career.

The only thing I don't want is both Izzo and Farwell.

Same here. I thought Evans was bidding the Patriots farewell.

He may be. He is visiting New Orleans today.

BTW - I think that was the reason we resign TBC - not for OLB, but for his good special teams play

Would've made a decent replacement for Izzo.

Heath Farwell-LB-Vikings Mar. 6 - 11:29 am et

Vikings GM Rick Spielman revealed Friday that he's made a "significant offer" to retain free agent LB Heath Farwell.

Farwell, who's drawn interest from the Browns and Patriots, is looking for a team willing to let him play defense. None of the above are great fits.
Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Sounds like a solid player. If we're in the line to bring in youth LB's then I guess we can do so for ST too. Hope they keep Izzo at least to be a mentor

Vikings re-signed LB Heath Farwell to a three-year, $7.75 million contract with $3.25 million in guarantees.

not bad money for a ST player. Good for him!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back