PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fred Dryer Almost a Patriot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizwor

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
If you are old enough, you may remember a show called Hunter which paired a stud male lead with a hot female lead as LA cops dealing with a lot of sexual tension. The 6'-6" male lead was Fred Dryer who was a 1st round 1969 NFL draft pick at DE who is the only NFL player ever to have two safeties in the same game (both in the 4th quarter -- October 21, 1973, at LA in a 24–7 win over Green Bay; down 20–7 in the fourth quarter, the Packers found themselves deep in their own territory when Dryer came storming in from the right side of the defense and chased down Green Bay quarterback Scott Hunter, dropping him in the end zone for a safety. On the Packers' following possession, Dryer dragged backup quarterback Jim Del Gaizo down.) and led the Giants with sacks his first three years in the league. In 1972, Fred Dryer was traded to the Patriots for first, second, and sixth round picks but refused to play for them. The Patriots traded him to the Rams for a 1st round pick and defensive end Rick Cash.

I was ten years old in 1972 and no one paid attention to the draft or, frankly, the Patriots back then. I never watched Hunter in prime time either. But, as summer 2018 drags on and people get all worked up about the state of the NFL, I am enjoying Hunter and think it is kind of cool that this actor was almost a New England Patriot.

BTW, the hot female lead was Stephanie Kramer who was a full foot shorter than Mr. Dryer. During the filming of Hunter, a lot of stunts were used to get her head above his shoulders when they shared a shot. If you decide to get a peek at this almost Patriot, Hunter is on Heroes and Icons. I think you could make a drinking game out of how often Ms. Kramer is made taller or how often Mr. Dryer says, "That works for me!"

The games cannot start soon enough!

My cousin was the 1st pick in the NFL out of Notre Dame.

I had a phone interview with the Seahawks a few months ago (I did not make it to the next stage).

The pick the Patriots traded for Dryer was obtained from the Rams in the Phil
Olsen fiasco. The pick the Patriots received for Dryer was used to draft Sam Cunningham.

Olsen fiasco. The pick the Patriots received for Dryer was used to draft Sam Cunningham.

... and the rest is history! Sam BAM Cunningham will always be on my list of favorite Patriots players.

I feel like this will end up being about Kevin Bacon...

Yea, remember those days...Around the time the Patriots traded Carl Garret for Duane Thomas, for about a day.

Wow! So Dryer kind of did make a contribution.

Nice show, he was also considered for the part of Sam Malone, but he probably turned it down because he doesn't like Boston.

Good for him. We don't need him.

The league did the Patriots a favor by letting the Patriots trade Olsen.
He and all the other Patriot's players were free agents because they failed to
file paperwork with the league. Olsen's agent was the only one to notice omission.

In 1980 the Rams played the Patriots in Foxboro. I worked the Biltmore in catering at the time and the hotel had the NFL contract for visiting teams, food and lodging. The morning of the game I was responsible for the entire meal. Bowls of mashed potatoes, stacks of 1 pound sirloins, cereals. fruits etc. Dryer was a vegetarian. At the outset of the breakfast meeting he asked me to provide him with the best salad I could whip up. He ate nine bowls of freakin' lettuce, tomato and assorted raw veggies. I'm talking big bowls here, mixing bowls. We shook hands afterwards and I remember he had a pair of frigging bear paws. I'm 6'3 and I was looking UP at him. Big freakin' guy, in fact ALL those Rams were huge. I did the Dolphins pregame meals and they were HALF the size of the Rams, or so it seemed.

In 1980 the Rams played the Patriots in Foxboro. I worked the Biltmore in catering at the time and the hotel had the NFL contract for visiting teams, food and lodging. The morning of the game I was responsible for the entire meal. Bowls of mashed potatoes, stacks of 1 pound sirloins, cereals. fruits etc. Dryer was a vegetarian. At the outset of the breakfast meeting he asked me to provide him with the best salad I could whip up. He ate nine bowls of freakin' lettuce, tomato and assorted raw veggies. I'm talking big bowls here, mixing bowls. We shook hands afterwards and I remember he had a pair of frigging bear paws. I'm 6'3 and I was looking UP at him. Big freakin' guy, in fact ALL those Rams were huge. I did the Dolphins pregame meals and they were HALF the size of the Rams, or so it seemed.
That's an awesome story. Amazing to think that an NFL player that big could have been a vegetarian back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back