PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football has changed a lot in 100 years

mosslost

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
NFL's Most Notable Changes Over the Past 100 Years

The forward pass? That was a duzy

The draft? woe that changed things quite a bit

Passing yards? In the 1932 season, no quarterback threw for more than 640 yards or nine touchdowns.

In the old times teams were called clubs.. well because they were literally clubs, like "Cincinnati sports club"

exciting message board talk for sure

Boston Patriots started in 62. That makes the thread relevant.

I believe the Patriots got their start in 1960.

It makes sense football has changed in the past 100 years.

What blows my mind is how much is has changed over a timespan as short as Tom Brady’s career. This is a significantly different league today than it was back then.

What blows my mind is how much is has changed over a timespan as short as Tom Brady’s career. This is a significantly different league today than it was back then.

And not for the better.

I believe the Patriots got their start in 1960.

You are correct, winner, I am 85 and was a season ticket holder and at the first game. Football has changed a great deal to draw fans. It blows my mind that 1 billion was spent to build a stadium in England. What's next for owners' revenue? Maybe the NFL will go into massage parlors, Kraft was exploring the opportunity.

Reactions: Ian
I'm now 78 but my memory sometimes even surprises me. And as I recall the weather that day at B.U.'s Nickerson Field was very pleasant with temperatures in the mid 70's, but unfortunately the Patriots lost that game to the Broncos. And I still remember Butch Songin who was one of my favorite players from the early years.

giphy.gif

"Do you realize that toilet paper has not changed in my lifetime? It's just paper on a cardboard roll, that's it. And in ten thousand years, it will still be exactly the same because really, what else can they do?"

We’ve all changed. Even you, @mosslost ! You used to ALWAYS include RLKAG.... look at you know, starting polls with no mention of the killer.

If you go back more than 100 years, to the late 19th century and the time of Walter Camp, the "father of American football," you would see the really radical transformation of the game. Camp introduced the gridiron, the line of scrimmage, and alternating possession between teams among other innovations. There is some fascinating reading about how the game evolved from a sport resembling a mixture of rugby and soccer.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back