PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio speculates on a BB to Commanders trade

If Cam Newton is right that the Panthers are targeting Belichick, they are pry trying to get the whole staff.

Obrein for Young and a Mayo or his sons to coach the D.

That would be interesting and cost the Panthers some picks.
The Panthers are a holy mess.

If Cam Newton is right that the Panthers are targeting Belichick, they are pry trying to get the whole staff.

Obrein for Young and a Mayo or his sons to coach the D.

That would be interesting and cost the Panthers some picks.
Teams can only trade for head coaches. There’s no way to get picks for assistant coaches other than trying to include that value in the head coach trade, which sounds messy and probably against the rules.

Teams can only trade for head coaches. There’s no way to get picks for assistant coaches other than trying to include that value in the head coach trade, which sounds messy and probably against the rules.
That’s what I was thinking Kraft could go look your not just getting Belichick your getting Obrein and Mayo that’s worth more than what you are asking for.

I would be happy with a third conditional second in that situation.

In my book, BB is untouchable. Patriots fans are spoiled by 2 decades of excellent teams and now that the Patriots are halfway through a down year, everyone wants to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Trading or firing BB is crazy talk. Another Hall of Fame coach is not walking through that door.

That being said, I don't have an easy answer for BB's atrocious GM moves the last few years. I doubt that Bill would continue to coach here if you took away his GM duties. This year's draft was excellent, but the team got cheap and whiffed on DHop.
Until recently I was where you seem to be @FredFromDartmouth, but have a different opinion now. I think the results over the past 4 seasons indicate that BB is no longer able to produce results at anything close to his previous level.

I am not in the “all Brady” camp that some here seem to be, I respect tremendously what BB has accomplished in his career and additionally I find the whole attitude insulting to all of the other players, coaches, football organization members, and franchise organization members.

BB has a particular set of philosophies he believes in about how to win championships in the NFL. He has said many times that the Patriots are a “game plan team” in contrast to, for example, the Steelers who “do what they do.” To make that work he needs players who are smart and have positional and “operational” flexibility so that the Patriots can adjust their game plan to attack their opponents. He needs people who are effective teaching and coaching the players to function that way as a unit and not just as a collection of individuals. He needs scouts who have the ability to identify and properly rate prospects who can function that way. He needs to be able to do all that within a certain salary/compensation structure and have sufficient contingencies for replacement when guys get injured.

BB was masterful in being able to lead the organization to succeed in dealing with such challenges for many years but in my opinion (with very little knowledge and information as its basis) the results indicate to me that he no longer has the players, coaches, and people in his organization that he can trust and rely on to deliver the way they used to, which includes helping him to recognize his own shortcomings and biases. I would never count against him turning things around but don’t really have a great reason to believe he will.

Even Red Auerbach got to a point where his impact on the Celtics was a detriment. It happens to all of us, we just aren’t as sharp about everything as we used to be. I think BB is more likely to be in that position than he is to go somewhere else and oversee the accomplishment of another set of championships

It’s time for BB and the Patriots to move on. If he goes elsewhere I will wish him well but won’t care that he’s gone. I felt the same way about Brady. If BB stays I hope it’s in an advisory capacity only and that someone else has “final say.”

Until recently I was where you seem to be @FredFromDartmouth, but have a different opinion now. I think the results over the past 4 seasons indicate that BB is no longer able to produce results at anything close to his previous level.

I am not in the “all Brady” camp that some here seem to be, I respect tremendously what BB has accomplished in his career and additionally I find the whole attitude insulting to all of the other players, coaches, football organization members, and franchise organization members.

BB has a particular set of philosophies he believes in about how to win championships in the NFL. He has said many times that the Patriots are a “game plan team” in contrast to, for example, the Steelers who “do what they do.” To make that work he needs players who are smart and have positional and “operational” flexibility so that the Patriots can adjust their game plan to attack their opponents. He needs people who are effective teaching and coaching the players to function that way as a unit and not just as a collection of individuals. He needs scouts who have the ability to identify and properly rate prospects who can function that way. He needs to be able to do all that within a certain salary/compensation structure and have sufficient contingencies for replacement when guys get injured.

BB was masterful in being able to lead the organization to succeed in dealing with such challenges for many years but in my opinion (with very little knowledge and information as its basis) the results indicate to me that he no longer has the players, coaches, and people in his organization that he can trust and rely on to deliver the way they used to, which includes helping him to recognize his own shortcomings and biases. I would never count against him turning things around but don’t really have a great reason to believe he will.

Even Red Auerbach got to a point where his impact on the Celtics was a detriment. It happens to all of us, we just aren’t as sharp about everything as we used to be. I think BB is more likely to be in that position than he is to go somewhere else and oversee the accomplishment of another set of championships

It’s time for BB and the Patriots to move on. If he goes elsewhere I will wish him well but won’t care that he’s gone. I felt the same way about Brady. If BB stays I hope it’s in an advisory capacity only and that someone else has “final say.”
Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

This is the best post I have seen on this. Thank you for being a voice of reason instead of ranting Bill Sucks like so many others.

Well said. It couldn't last forever. Nothing does.

The HC and GM positions should be about what they can do to help the team in the future not as some monument to the past. That's for red jacket day and for Canton.

that's pretty much all Florio does....speculate

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Not sure why Bill would want to go there. He would rot with the Cobra Commanders. He also needs the right QB and Tom was the perfect match for Bill. I don't see a QB in the NFL that is as obsessed as Tom was.
They're changing the teams name in the off-season. Historically Washington is a top 5 destination for HC's, in the greatest division in football. They need to be turned around, and BB being the heir appearant all time winningest HC will be a draw in the TV market.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
Hate to disappoint the BB haters, but I believe he’s back next year.

I really doubt he leaves New England. If he does, Chargers make the most sense, and he’ll take Henry with him.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back