PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fletch's First Offseason Mock

I saw the latest cbs sports mock had Barnett of tenn. falling to us at 32.

I would be very happy if that happened.

I think we need to do a much bigger overhaul than I first thought.

Pats cut McCellin saving 1.5M & Extend/Restructure Amendola saving 4.5M.

Lets assume the Pats have 75M. Take out 10M for draft picks and emergency fund so 65M

Defense

Hightower 11M/yr (5 year)
Ryan 4M/y (3 year)
Long 2M/y (2 year)
Branch 3M/y (2 years)
Mingo 1M/y (2 year)

Offense

Bennett 7M/y (3 year)
Cannon 5M/y (2 year)
Bolden 1M/y (2 year)
Develin 1M/y (2 year)

So that is 35M with 40M more to spend and the team would look like this. For FAs i get the D some help.

Kawann Short - DT (finally we get a pass rushing DT) 9M
Calais Campbell - DE/DT (We will need to draft a pass rusher but this guy reminds me of a poor man's Seymour) 6M
Zach Brown - LB (Someone to start opposite Hightower) 6M
Melvin Ingram - DE (this is your pass rush help) 6M

I would look to get these guys and inject talent and then move your front 7 around to make it work.

Last edited:
I think we need to do be a much bigger overhaul than I first thought.

Well I am not going to be as detailed as you but i will give a quick general outline of what I'd like.

Pats cut McCellin saving 1.5M & Extend/Restructure Amendola saving 4.5M.

Lets assume the Pats have 75M. Take out 10M for draft picks and emergency fund so 65M

Defense

Hightower 11M/yr (5 year)
Ryan 4M/y (3 year)
Long 2M/y (2 year)
Branch 3M/y (2 years)
Mingo 1M/y (2 year)

Offense

Bennett 7M/y (3 year)
Cannon 5M/y (2 year)
Bolden 1M/y (2 year)
Develin 1M/y (2 year)

So that is 35M with 40M more to spend and the team would look like this. For FAs i get the D some help.

Kawann Short - DT (finally we get a pass rushing DT) 9M
Calais Campbell - DE/DT (We will need to draft a pass rusher but this guy reminds me of a poor man's Seymour) 6M
Zach Brown - LB (Someone to start opposite Hightower) 6M
Melvin Ingram - DE (this is your pass rush help) 6M

I would look to get these guys and inject talent and then move your front 7 around to make it work.

Great call on short. I love his game.

Short would be a great get.

Makes sense considering the Pot Roast signing.

I'd take the rest in a minute but for a little cheaper. At least Campbell and Brown I'd like around 4-4.5 million.

Campbell is someone that BB at one point raved about, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they made an attempt to sign him.

Short is another interesting player, but he has had a very up and down career production wise. Not sure you will see BB give big dollars for a guy with one season of top level play. It is the type of guy they desperately need though, so worth keeping an eye on.

42nd

Zay Jones WR 6'1 197lbs

Amendola is most certainly going to be released this offseason, but his role is as important as ever. We will need someone who can step in and have the ability to play over the middle, in the slot and outside when necessary, with diverse route tree. Zay Jones is all of those things and more. He has good size at 6'1 197, great feet, and a real feel for soft spots in coverage. He comes back to the ball well, but can find himself open over the top of coverages. Maybe not quite the athlete of some of the other options, but he does all the little things that will let Brady trust him early. He's also on track to end his NCAA career with the most receptions in college history, and possibly the most catches in a single season.

Just watched him and he's my type of receiver. Terrific. He lacks a bit of athleticism and I don't really see a need for him with Mitchell and, maybe, Floyd on the roster but he'd have been an excellent LaFell replacement. I like your Jennings comp, but his WR smarts, hands and body control remind me of Marvin Jones, one of my all-time faves. I'd grade him a fair bit lower than you because of his lack of athleticism (late day 2/early day 3) but I still really like him.

Last edited:

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back