PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fletch Lives: Second Offseason Mock

I.M. Fletcher

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Alright, it's time for my second of three offseason mocks. The last one will just be a draft mock the week of the draft, so we will have all the offseason signings taken care of by then, and we can hopefully make more accurate draft selections.

When building the roster, I tried think through what type of defense we are trying to build. We have historically been a front 7 team, with a monster front 4 and great linebacker work. Behind them, we typically would have a great safety and a good corner. I feel like that is starting to change, as more and more teams are using more spread and quick passing routes. We are becoming more and more reliant on our safety to not just cover, but tackle in space at a very high level. I tried to work my offseason mock around the idea of beefing up our front 4, and increasing the long term depth of the safety, putting protections in place for a single injury. I don't want to even think what would happen if McCourty had a significant injury for us.

On offense, I feel like we finally have the weapons to run what we have always wanted to be able to do. Any offense, against any defense. We aren't built to play one style, but to punish any teams weakness. We have a great oline, great receivers for both deep and over the middle, blocking and catching tight ends, and multidimensional running backs. When you have the great Brady Puppetmaster, it is a beautiful thing to watch. Now, it's just about finding the talent to surround what already exists.

So, as a reminder, here is what my first mock looked like

JimmyG for 10, 42
10 for 19, 50

19: Vita Vea (didn't declare)
32: Budda Baker
42: Zay Jones
50: Donta Foreman
64: Chad Wheeler
96: Kevin King
132: Haasan Redick
170: Pharaoh Brown
207: Janarion Grant
240: Blank

So, let's get started

We start the offseason with 65mil (or so) in cap space, with 40 guys currently under contract.

Release:

Amendola 6.5 saved
Vollmer 2.25
Richards .5
Waddle 1.2

Amendola has been a good soldier for a long time, but we are at the point where his production and role don't justify the cost. If can be re-done for 1.5 or less, sure, but they can find a replacement level player in the draft. If Vollmer is healthy enough, and willing to backup our two tackles, it's a worthwhile cost to bring him back, but all signs are pointing towards retirement. Richards hasn't broken through at all in our secondary, as he's a clear step slow, and may never have enough to justify growing his role beyond as a special teamer. Waddle is the 4th tackle, making the cost above value, imho.

Re-signed

Hightower: Franchise tag 14.8mil
This time last year, I would have thought this decision was a given. Now, I am 50/50 at best. We are going on 3 years of Hightower being dinged up enough to miss significant time, or severely hampered performance. They definitely can't extend him right now, and have his contract around their necks for the next 4+ years. But, I wonder if they even see the value in tagging him. I truly love the player, and went with the tag given the amount of cap space we have, even at the hefty cost, but they could easily balk at that and see what they can find in the draft. He is such a unique talent when healthy, I am just not sure how much healthy Hightower we will see going forward.

If not franchised
Karlos Dansby 1yr 2.5mil

Blount 1yr 4.5
Branch 1yr 4.5
Floyd. 1yr 3.5
Bennett 2yr 14
Develin 2yr 2mil

I see all 5 of these guys in the same boat. Outside of Floyd, they all clearly love it here, and have been used effectively in their roles. It's entirely possible they try for a last big payday elsewhere, but I can't see them getting much more than this. Floyd gets a single year to rebuild his value, but he may get a significant deal from someone else. I think he could be a really interesting weapon with a full summer of training with Brady (if he's not sitting in prison, that is). We don't have anyone on the roster like any of these 5 guys, so having them around to fill a role, while we find replacements is imperative.

Replacements if not signed:

Darren McFadden 1yr 4mil
Johnathan Hankins 4yr 28mil
Robert Woods 4yr 24mil
Jack Doyle 4yr 24mil
Kyle Juszcczyk 3yr 6mil

Butler 3.65 1st round tender
If I was to guess about a long term deal, Butler seems to fit the mould of who we tend to pay. Extremely hard working, never misses time, shows up in big moments, and competitive as anyone in the league. I think he gets tendered, and they work on a long term deal over the summer.

Replacement if signed above tender:
Prince Amukamera 3yr 21mil

Long/Mingo 1yr 3m
I still think it's an either or situation. Long fit the team like a glove, but his production was never much to write home about. Mingo flashed his athleticism, but not really to the point you would want him in a regular role. I could see either, but I doubt they pay both. Long could also ride off into the sunset if we win this Super Bowl.

Calais Campbell 2yr 12mil (a Belichick fav)

Re-signed below qualifier
Michael Williams
Brandon King
Cameron Fleming

Free agents signed by other teams:
Harmon
Sheard
Ryan

Harmon makes the most sense to bring back, as he has his own role on the defense, and is in a crowded safety class this summer . Ryan would be great to have back, but I don't see them paying big dollars to two corners, and I don't want my second corner making top dollar before my CB1

Trade:

We have talked about JimmyGs value for months and months, and I am not sure if we are any closer to understanding what a team will truly pay for him.

Since it's my mock, I am trading him to:

Chicago
For
2017 2nd
2018 conditional 1st based on certain achievable standards (I.e. 3000+passing yards, or 30 TDs)

I feel Chicago makes the most sense, as they have a great offensive line, some decent skill position players, and fox has remade his defense over the last two years. Also, two years in, he can't risk drafting a guy like Trubisky and waiting 3 years for him to mature. He needs a QB yesterday.

Second trade:

Trade the Chicago pick (35)
To Denver for (51) and (83)

Cap Room:
Started at 65mil, finish at 25 taking in to account all the signings and draft picks, with roughly 15 wanted/needed for in season trades and signings. That leaves 10mil for camp bodies, UDFAs and other extensions that may want to be done

The Draft

Budda Baker 5'11 195lbs.
Washington, FS

This is a pick that doesn't change from the previous mock, and nor should it. Baker emerged, along with the whole Washington defense, during his third campaign. The Washington defense relied heavily on its safety play to limit big plays down the field, and forcing QBs to hold the ball longer than they would like, to allow the pass rush to get home. It was a winning recipe, and a lot of the credit should go to Baker. He is definitely smaller than you would like at the free safety position, but his level of aggression, intelligence, ball skills, and athleticism made him a nightmare all over the field. He had responsibilities everywhere, from deep center field, TE and running back, and slot coverage as well. In most years, a player of his skill-set is usually getting picked 10 choices earlier, but the defensive depth is so strong, it will allow him to slip down in to our range.

With Harmon leaving via free agency, and McCourty and Chung both around 30, finding young talent to be mentored is necessary. Our defense is built upon strong safety play, and can't afford any drop off. Baker will help carry that responsibility.

Comparable: Earl Thomas/ Honey Badger
If they fall: Taco Charlton, OJ Howard, Sidney Jones

Budda baker

Vincent Taylor 6'3 310lbs
Oklahoma St. DT

My Vita Vea dream died a slow death, but the position remains a critical need. I have loved everything that the defensive front has been able to accomplish, but we are still lacking someone who can break through with penetration with any sort of consistency. Part of that is strategically taking away the running game first, but we don't have anyone who can consistently do both.

Enter Vincent Taylor. For two years now, Taylor has been wrecking offensive lines. He was top 5 in the Big12 in sacks, TFL, and kicks blocked. He has a very strange frame, with a wide barrel chest, long tree trunk arms and good bubble, but with tiny calves. While that might seem like a negative, it seems to help with his explosion, cause he pops guys off the snap, and never slows down. He constantly finishes around the ball, and even when held up, finds a way to get an arm around the ball carrier. He can also chase guys out of the pocket, showing real athleticsm for the position.

There were a lot of questions if he would go back for one more year, but after a very long journey to get to this point (family transplanted by Katrina), he decided to commit. There are about 4-5 guys you could plug in to this draft position, but Taylor's growth as a player, aggressive style, ability to move around the line with ease, pass rushing and run stopping qualities, he broke my tie breakers with the other players available at this point

Comparable: Mo Wilkerson
If they fall: Gareon Conley, Takk McKinley, Charles Harris

Vincent Taylor- watch number 96

Obi Melifonwu 6'4 220 lbs
UCONN SS

This is terrible timing, because it looks like I am picking a workout warrior after the Senior Bowl measurements, but I love what Obi could be in our defense. While he does have everything you would look for in the SS position, I think he could be used quite effectively in a similar manner as Jabrill Peppers was in college. We have talked for years about the star backer, and even have taken some swings lately (Sua Cravens, Grugier-Hill both last year) Obi seems to meet the measureables and skills required better than most. We have consistently struggled with TEs and running backs over the past few years, so finding someone who can step in to the middle of the field, or track out wide in coverage is necessary with the amount of nickel and dime we now play. With Baker already drafted, it would seem safety would be an odd position to go to so soon, but with both players having the ability to move around in both nickel and dime packages, their diverse skillsets will only create greater levels of confusion, and force teams to pick their poison.

Beyond that, the one skill that has consistently shown to BBs favourite among CBs and safeties is tackling. There isn't a better tackler in this secondary class than Obi Melifonwu. Also, I am not sure there is any coach in the country that loves one of their players more than UCONNs coach loves Obi. He might just be a cheerleader, but he can't shut up about the kid. I know there will be talk about him moving up draft boards in to the 1st, but I have my doubts he gets that high. He doesn't have ball skills of the other top safeties, and that will push him to the second.

Comparison: Kam Chancellor
If they fall: Ryan Anderson, Jourdan Lewis, Carlos Watkins

Obi melifonwu

83. Tanoh Kpassagnon 6'7 280lbs
Villanova, Defensive End

This is certainly the least surprising pick in my mock. I have been talking this guy up for months, and is now my solo binkie. Simply put, he is the rarest of physical freaks. His size and strength combo are almost unfair, and make him an ultimate chess piece. He can line up as a traditional DE, as his ability to disengage from blockers and bend should make him a terror setting the edge. At the same time, his burst off the line, both inside and outside, should allow him to get on the field early in the season for pass rushing situations. His arm length (84.5inch) is in the top percentile, and his expected explosive numbers will place him in the upper echelon as well. With that said, he also had a tremendously productive season. He finished with 16TFL, 11 sacks and a forced fumble. He ended up winning the FCS defensive player of the year, and rightfully so, as he lead a Villanova team in almost every category.

Now, those are all largely positives. The downsides are also very obvious. He has been playing against a lower level of competition, which has stalled his fundamentals. He is winning almost exclusively with size and athleticism, which won't get him very far as a pro. He can lose balance very easily when his bull rush is countered, and he doesn't have much in his pass rushing repertoire yet. At the same time, he is lauded by his coaches for his high level of intelligence, which has shown in other ways by working through his MBA this season.

There is an awful lot to like about the prospect, who may slingshot up boards in the coming weeks through a strong Senior Bowl game and interviews with teams. At the moment, FCS stars usually don't go much higher than the back end of the 3rd round, so I feel this is fair rating.

Comparable: Carlos Dunlop/Tommy Kelly
If they fall: Marcus Williams, Elijah Qualls, Cooper Kupp

Tanoh kpassagnon

96. Chad Wheeler 6'6 3'10
USC, Swing Tackle

I had flirted with different interior lineman, but with Karros, Jackson on the 53, and Douglas on the Practice squad, I couldn't justify the cost in this draft. On the other side, I am still not sold on this tackle class, and am finding it difficult to locate one that really checks the boxes we usually require. That brings me back to Wheeler, who didn't have the best year, but still fills a necessary hole, with the required skill-set. What really slowed him down from becoming the dominant linemen I expected were a slew of injuries, which had him in and out of the lineup a lot. At the same time, you can't deny the skill-set that he holds. He has great movement skills, being able to pull with ease, and the length to be able to engage with outside blockers. He doesn't have quite the punch you would love to see, but he does a great job of keeping his man in front of him. Probably a better pass blocker than run blocker to start.

If his injuries check out (it should, he seemed just to get nicked up) this could be a great buy low situation. We have taken similar risks on talented linemen before ( Vollmer, Cannon) and I see a lot of reasons to consider Wheeler here. Not my favourite pick, but necessary.

Comparable: Seabass
If they fall: Pat Elfein, Jordan Leggett, Jordan Willis, Daeshon Hall

Chad wheeler

102. Zay Jones 6' 201lbs
Eastern Carolina, Wide Receiver

The wide receiver position has become one of its strengths over the past 4 seasons, and has totally morphed the offense into the juggernaut we see today. With that said, if you aren't consistently finding new talent, you will be left relying on older players to do a job they can no longer do. We will find ourselves in that situation this summer, as Amendola is coming to his close with the team, while also leaving an important hole in the offense. I have been sorting out the different receivers to find someone who
diverse route tree
reliable hands
Multiple receiver positions
Size to handle the middle
Willing blocker

Zay Jones just kept being the player I came back to, even as different receivers continued to climb up most boards. We know all about his record breaking season and career, but I loved how E. Carolina used him in so many different formations to try and get him into as many different looks as possible. In the slot, outside go's, curls, drags, posts and seam routes. There isn't a route he didn't run, and it allowed him the ability to see a plethora of balls.

He is a little bit thicker than I would've guessed, but he doesn't play like a big guy. He goes down a bit easy, but his first thought is ball security, which I always prefer from my receivers. I don't think he ends up being a superstar, but when you get to this point in the draft, finding someone reliable who can play day 1is far more valuable to me.

Comparable: Greg Jennings/Robert Woods
If they fall: Justin Evans, Eddie Jackson, Rasul Douglas, Kevin King

Zay jones

Michael Roberts 6'4 260lbs
Toledo, Tight End

I went back and forth on what TE to consider, and Roberts ended up on top for a few reasons. For starters, the inline blocking role is going to be critical for the Pats going forward, as I'm acting under the assumption that Gronk will be used primarily as a move TE going forward. If Gronks playing off the line more so than he already is, having someone on the roster to back up Bennett becomes incredibly important. We saw throughout the year Bennett take an awful pounding, but also be able to bounce right back. I am not going to assume that is going to change now that he's a year older. A blocking TE is so incredibly important to our offense, we need some protection behind our two stars. So, enter Roberts. At 6'4 and a half, with really long arms, he's shown the ability to wrestle down just about any edge rusher that he's faced. He can absolutely stonewall defensive players, and blocks really well down field as well.

What separates Roberts from a player like Kittle (who would be a fine choice later) is his catching radius. Roberts hands measured at 11 6/8ths. To put that in perspective, that's an inch larger than Gronkowski's, and larger than any receiver/running back/Tight end in any database I can find. And it isn't as if he has tombstones for hands. He was the most productive red zone target in College football, with 16 TDs. To put that in perspective, it was double the second place TE. He isn't the greatest athlete, but he will surprise with a little bit of shake on occasion.

It's such a deep class for TEs, it would be silly not to take one, and Roberts is probably the best combination of talent, size, production and affordability.

Comparable: Clive Walford (but thicker)
If they fall: Tarrell Basham, Taywan Taylor, Jarron Jones, Amba Etta-tawo

Michael Roberts

Kareem Hunt 5'10 210lbs
Toledo, Running Back

With all of our running backs with only a year remaining on their deals, finding fresh blood is critically important to protect against the following season. When looking at backs, I prioritized backs who can run inside and be effective catching the ball in a number of different ways. Hunt fits the bill quite well, although I am a little unsure about about drafting a back from a lower level of competition. Nonetheless, he provides a very unique skillset, with a very high upside. He has great balance, very strong elusiveness, with a big back mindset. That last part can't be understated. It is what allows Dion Lewis to be so successful with a smaller frame.

There is a lot to like from Hunt, and I think in a different year, with a different running back class, he goes much higher. Patience wins out in this case, and Hunt provides great value for his draft location.

Comparable: Joseph Addai
If they fall: Jamaal Williams, Travis Rudolph, Vince biegel, Jeremy Sprinkle

Kareem hunt

Jeremy Cutrer 6'2 180lbs
Middle Tennesee (LSU transfer), Corner

Another position that is so deep, it pushes very talented players down the board. Cutrer hasn't had a ton of buzz this season yet, but he is an extremely underrated CB, in a draft with a lot of talent at that position. He is very long and rangy CB with fantastic length to disrupt any type of passing play. He is also extremely tough, and plays a lot bigger than his listed weight. He has no problem throwing his weight around, and wraps up every tackle with great execution. He fits the Patriot mould of being as adept at tackling as he is in coverage. He also has great hips for a longer athlete, which allows him to play in the middle if need be, or in deeper safety coverage.

With Butler, Rowe and the Jones brothers already set on the roster, finding one more compliment to their skillsets, while having the ability to mix and match him in different coverages makes him a very intriguing option.

Comparable: Dre Kirkpatrick
If they fall: Corn Elder, Nazair Jones, James Conner

Jeremy cutrer

James Onwualu 6'1 232
Notre Dame, Linebacker

This isn't the sexiest pick, but it is a patriot pick. Onwualu came to Notre Dame as a star receiver, but arrived at a loaded position. He decided to try his hand at the defensive side of the ball, being moved around the secondary, before finding a home as a linebacker. His stats don't fly off the page, but he was a team leader the passed two seasons, with great special teams value on all 4 teams. He lead the team with 77 tackles, and 11.5 TFL, with 2 sacks and 5 Passes defensed as well. He is definitely a coverage linebacker, but the question will be whether his athleticism will be good enough to carry him on the next level. I think he ends up being a very important special teamer with an opportunity to carve out a role on passing downs. At this point in the draft, you are just trying to find players that either fall through the cracks, or provide a skill-set that will provide a specific role from day one. His special team play and leadership makes Onwualu my last choice.

Comparable: Jonathan Castillas
If they fall: Ryan Switzer, KD Cannon, Bryan Cox, Xavier Woods

James onwualu

UDFA

Janarion Grant

I still think he ends up a Pat, but without attending any draft camps or all star games, it will be nearly impossible for him to get drafted. With that said, his kick and punt return skills make him very intriguing, and could be enough for him to make the roster. Had he played the full year, I imagine he would be getting drafted in a similar position as Donell Pumphrey. It was only his first year being worked in to a regular role in the offense, but in the 4 games he played, he accounted for 1/3 of Rutgers offense. I think this is a potential home run player, but it's really hard to gauge his value with the injury, and only having a pro day.

Comparable : Devin Hester/Tyreek Hill
Other options: George Kittle, Joe Mixon

Janarion grant

2018 Draft choices
1st - Chicago
1st
2nd
3rd
3rd - Logan Ryan
4th
4th - Duron Harmon
4th - Jabaal Sheard
5th
6th
7th

(We lose our 3rd if Rowe plays 50% of snaps next year. Or it's a 4th.

That leaves us with:

54 Man roster
QB2: Brady, Brissett
RB4: Blount, Lewis, White, Hunt
FB1: Develin
WR5: Edelman, Hogan, Floyd, Mitchell, Jones
TE3: Gronkowski, Bennett, Roberts
OT4: Solder, Cannon, Wheeler, Fleming
OG4: Mason, Thuney, Karros, Jackson
C1: Andrews
Offense: 24

DT4: Branch, Brown, Valentine, Taylor
DE4: Long, Ninkovich, Flowers, Kpassagnon
OLB3: Van Noy, McClellan, Onwualu
ILB3: Hightower, Freeny, Roberts
CB5: Butler, Rowe, Jones, Jones, Cutrer
FS2: McCourty, Baker
SS2: Chung, Melifonwu
Defense: 23

ST4: Slater, King, Ebner, Grant
P1: Allen
K1: Ghostkowski
LS1: Cardona
ST: 7

Floyd starts off suspended, and we make a choice on the last roster spot after that.

Have at it.

Last edited:
First of all, huge respect for the time and effort that went into this project. Nice work.

Tanoh is starting to get first round buzz right now. He's looked pretty good (not dominant, but has had flashes of brilliance) at the Senior Bowl and I'm seeing a ton of publications hype him up right now. I'm not sure he's available in the second, let alone pick 83. I wouldn't mind having him on this team, though. Might as well shoot for the stars.

Lots of other thoughts, but I'll have to circle back around. Busy day at work and I'm behind.

First of all, huge respect for the time and effort that went into this project. Nice work.

Tanoh is starting to get first round buzz right now. He's looked pretty good (not dominant, but has had flashes of brilliance) at the Senior Bowl and I'm seeing a ton of publications hype him up right now. I'm not sure he's available in the second, let alone pick 83. I wouldn't mind having him on this team, though. Might as well shoot for the stars.

Lots of other thoughts, but I'll have to circle back around. Busy day at work and I'm behind.

I hear you. I do think he will end up being one of those prospects that everyone gets excited about from their testing numbers, but then there's two months where reality sets in for scouts.

There just isn't much track record of fcs players going that high on the defensive side of the ball. Gotta go back almost a decade to find one that went first round.

I'd be more than willing to take a shot at the end of the 2nd, but a 1st even seems crazy to me, given the depth in this draft.

Here's another write up on him from SI that gives some extra background. The writer seems to see a lot of the same pluses I do.

Meet the next small-school sensation of the NFL draft

Sign me up for Buddy Baker, Kareem Hunt and Zay Jones. Those three picks nail it.

Excellent work as always.

Nice work! Lots of time and effort for sure. Keep it up.

Right now I'd be more happy w/ Taco, Jones or OJ at 32 tbh.

OJ is the clear cut #1 TE. Great value and need there. Great kid. Thats a home run.

Sid Jones doesn't get the love he deserves imo either. He's a top cb this year and I'd say last year as well.

I think Tanoh will fall. Hes raw as raw could be imo. Def one of the most talked to players by coaches this week.

Big yes to Zay and Cutrer! Been a fan of Cut's for a while. For a while he looked like a starving child you'd see on TV.

I'd welcome Onwualu in the late rounds

Tremendous effort! Wow I am blown away by everything you put into this.

And I am with you on vea. It would have made my day to win the Super Bowl and draft vea at #32.

But I love your draft!

Tremendous effort! Wow I am blown away by everything you put into this.

And I am with you on vea. It would have made my day to win the Super Bowl and draft vea at #32.

But I love your draft!

I can't help my love for Vea. Part of me hopes with an extra 2018 first, we will be drafting in the right area to snag a more polished version of him.

Thanks for the compliments. I find it interesting thinking through the entirety of roster building. Looking at traits the team focuses on in free agency, types of contracts we give out, both short and long term thinking, and then drafting habits for us, and league wide

It takes awhile, but its enjoyable.

I am an avid Pats Football Fanatic, but every year am humbled when I view a thread such as this as I cannot process this much information on potential Patriots.. nice job.

I do think that a 2nd and 1st for Jimmy G is a tad high, seems more like two number 2's and a mid round pick... but this is a crappy QB class so the value might be higher, but will be surprised if there are teams who will give up their #1's +...

Im just thinking about the offseason and was looking at DT options that can be had through free agency. What do you guys think of nick fairley? I was really hoping we got him last year and should be cheaper than say a dontari poe.

Im just thinking about the offseason and was looking at DT options that can be had through free agency. What do you guys think of nick fairley? I was really hoping we got him last year and should be cheaper than say a dontari poe.

It kindve depends on what you are looking for.

If branch doesn't come back (surprising at this stage) they would have to look at another NT to fill his place.

That list is
Poe
Brandon Williams
Hankins
Peko
Williams
Abry jones
Benny Logan
Wilfork

If it's a pass rush specialist, that's a different list

Short
Fairley
Dorsey
Alualu
Klug

I honestly don't know if many of those guys will even hit the market. I see Hankins going to free agency with JPP getting a new deal with NYG, but it's hard to know where his contract might end up.

Dorsey seems like the most likely free agent in the second group, having been drafted by pioli, and someone we looked at around the trade deadline.

Kindve slim pickings or really expensive options, which makes me think we bring back branch and use a top 100 pick on an interior rusher.

Calais Campbell I could also see as out "big free agent" signing. BB has raved about him for years, and could be a perfect 5 tech for us.

Might take some big dollars to get him though.

Fantastic work. Not much else to say :p

I hope bb gets a dt via the draft and the guy I think he makes into a rock solid patriots type player by year two is Adams of auburn. I think Adams has a lot of two gapping to learn in year one and then look out, he should be in the rotation full time in year two.

Post super bowl off season plan used with Miguel's numbers to help of course.

Cap - 61.2M

Rework Amendola - Save 5M
Vollmer retires - Save 2.2M
Harmon walks
Blount walks

Cap - 68.4M

Sign

Sign Branch 1yr 3.5M
Sign Hightower 5 yr 12M per
Sign Butler 5 yr 12M per
Sign Develin 2 yr 1.5M per
Sign Chris Long 1 yr 2M
Sign Ryan 3 yr 9M per (I am now convinced you want to keep the core of this D together. Say what you will about Ryan but he is out there every game and does a lot of the things you like to see as far as tackling and run D and usually turns it on. Why shake up this D and have a huge question mark to replace in Brady's last years?)

Cap Now at 28.4M

Calais Campbell 2 yr 6.4M per
Sign Jarad Cook 1 yr 5M

Cap now at 17M used for odds and ends and draft picks and emergency funds.

You need help at starting LB particularly and cuts there could save you money but that comes later.

Trade Jimmy for #12 and #65

#12 - traded for #21 & #53

#21 - Charlton - DE
#32 - Davis - LB
#53 - Awuzie - CB
#64 - Jaleel Johnson - DT

#65 - Traded for a 2nd round pick next year (I had Mixon here before but got so much negative feed back so i will wait on that.. You could trade this pick if you get it up gain value on the JG trade which i like).

#96 Smithson/Thompson - FS
3rd comp - Jake Butt - TE (long term TE back up/replacement?)

4th - Taylor Morton - G/OT
4th - James Cooner - RB

Rest of draft is IDK?

Offense 24

QB - 2 - Brady Brissett
TE - 3 - Gronk Cook Lengel
RB/FB - 6 - White Lewis Cooner Develin Foster Bolden
WR - 4 - Edelman Mitchell Hogan Amendola (maybe sign Floyd maybe not... IDK)
OL - 9 - Solder Mason Andrews Thuney Cannon Flemming Karras Morton Jackson (maybe Waddle is gone? We will see)

Defense 25

DE - 5 - Flowers Charlton Champbell Long Nink
DT - 4 - Branch Brown Valentine Johnson
LB - 5 - Hightower Davis Van-Noy McClellin Mingo
CB - 6 - Butler Ryan Rowe Awuzie Jones Jones
S - 5 - McCourty Chung Thompson Ebner Richards

STs 4

Gost, Ryan Cardona Slater

Post Super Bowl opinion.

Maybe RB needs a better plan but that will be worked out i believe.

Last edited:
Post super bowl off season plan used with Miguel's numbers to help of course.

Cap - 61.2M

Rework Amendola - Save 5M
Vollmer retires - Save 2.2M
Harmon walks
Blount walks

Cap - 68.4M

Sign

Sign Branch 1yr 3.5M
Sign Hightower 5 yr 12M per
Sign Butler 5 yr 12M per
Sign Develin 2 yr 1.5M per
Sign Chris Long 1 yr 2M
Sign Ryan 3 yr 9M per (I am now convinced you want to keep the core of this D together. Say what you will about Ryan but he is out there every game and does a lot of the things you like to see as far as tackling and run D and usually turns it on. Why shake up this D and have a huge question mark to replace in Brady's last years?)

Cap Now at 28.4M

Calais Campbell 2 yr 6.4M per
Sign Jarad Cook 1 yr 5M

Cap now at 17M used for odds and ends and draft picks and emergency funds.

You need help at starting LB particularly and cuts there could save you money but that comes later.

Trade Jimmy for #12 and #65

#12 - traded for #21 & #53

#21 - Charlton - DE
#32 - Davis - LB
#53 - Awuzie - CB
#64 - Jaleel Johnson - DT

#65 - Traded for a 2nd round pick next year (I had Mixon here before but got so much negative feed back so i will wait on that.. You could trade this pick if you get it up gain value on the JG trade which i like).

#96 Smithson/Thompson - FS
3rd comp - Jake Butt - TE (long term TE back up/replacement?)

4th - Taylor Morton - G/OT
4th - James Cooner - RB

Rest of draft is IDK?

Offense 24

QB - 2 - Brady Brissett
TE - 3 - Gronk Cook Lengel
RB/FB - 6 - White Lewis Cooner Develin Foster Bolden
WR - 4 - Edelman Mitchell Hogan Amendola (maybe sign Floyd maybe not... IDK)
OL - 9 - Solder Mason Andrews Thuney Cannon Flemming Karras Cooner Jackson (maybe Waddle is gone? We will see)

Defense 25

DE - 5 - Flowers Charlton Champbell Long Nink
DT - 4 - Branch Brown Valentine Johnson
LB - 5 - Hightower Davis Van-Noy McClellin Mingo
CB - 6 - Butler Ryan Rowe Awuzie Jones Jones
S - 5 - McCourty Chung Thompson Ebner Richards

STs 4

Gost, Ryan Cardona Slater

Post Super Bowl opinion.

Maybe RB needs a better plan but that will be worked out i believe.

Some interesting ideas. I do have my doubts about both spending all our free agent dollars and our top draft capital on defense.

If we do end up bringing back the Ryan/HT/harmon combo, I wouldn't be surprised if they go and get some skilled players earlier.

And as an FYI, with an extra first, our draft cost is a little over 7mil. Add in an extra 7-15mil for camp bodies and vet signings, plus the usual 10 mil for in-season signings/trades/extensions. Bill does a great job of evaporating our play money

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back