PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flashback: when the thought of the Patriots in the Super Bowl seemed crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Whatever you think of Bill Simmons now, when he started he wrote a lot of things that spoke for the typical Boston sports fan.

This was written a couple of days before the tuck rule game (I have no problem calling it that) when it seemed bizarre that the Pats were actually in contention. The last line of this felt likely, really. Something to think about when we’re agonizing over the struggles of our 10-1 team.

ESPN.com: Page 2 : Sad saga of a loyal Patriots fan

Whatever you think of Bill Simmons now, when he started he wrote a lot of things that spoke for the typical Boston sports fan.

This was written a couple of days before the tuck rule game (I have no problem calling it that) when it seemed bizarre that the Pats were actually in contention. The last line of this felt likely, really. Something to think about when we’re agonizing over the struggles of our 10-1 team.

ESPN.com: Page 2 : Sad saga of a loyal Patriots fan
I love the last line about savoring the moment since he may not be able to for a while. Little did he know.

Regards,
Chris

I loved Simmons then and even after he moved to LA for the first couple years, but then he became completely unbearable. And then getting in front of the camera killed him for me.

That article transported me back...so weird to think that was my life. I had been a pretty dogged Pats fan for 10 years to that point, but I almost entirely have memories of the post-2001 franchise when I reflect on my fandom. I have to put a bit of effort to really remember what it was like...but this article took me there.

I loved Simmons then and even after he moved to LA for the first couple years, but then he became completely unbearable. And then getting in front of the camera killed him for me.

Simmons was good through about 2005 but became like a weird parody troll after that.

Simmons was good through about 2005 but became like a weird parody troll after that.

I'm still a big fan. He doesn't write anymore and I agree his HBO show was pretty weak, but I still listen to most of his podcasts and enjoy a lot of the content on the Ringer (really good football stuff for the most part).

I can see why people don't like him, to each their own, but it should be noted he is an unabashed Patriots fan and probably the most prominent national media figure who has the same mindset as we do when it comes to defending the team (i.e. F Goodell, Pats get screwed continually, who cares what you think about us we have six rings, etc.)

but it should be noted he is an unabashed Patriots fan and probably the most prominent national media figure who has the same mindset as we do when it comes to defending the team (i.e. F Goodell, Pats get screwed continually, who cares what you think about us we have six rings, etc.)

I mean I find that stuff pretty obnoxious even on this board, listening to a guy who gets paid to do that shtick is even worse.

cool read... thanks

In 2001, I got my Super Bowl tickets in November. I had 4 seats in the south endzone, section 12, row 6... We signed up for seats the day the Patriots announced hiring Bill Parcells. One of the guys who went in with us, and one of my go to dive buddies, Bob G, had a brother who wound up working on a project that was supported/sponsored by the NFL.

So Bobs brother called him one day and asked him if he wanted a ticket for Super Bowl XXXVI. The deal was the NFL would comp 1 ticket, and he could purchase a ticket for $400.00. The team was hovering around .500 at that point, but he said sure, why not. Bob called me that day and asked if i was interested... I was like hells yes ...

Now the Pats were not all that great at this point. As I said, they were hovering around .500 ... On the other hand, if anyone remembers, the Kordell Stewart led Steelers were ripping it up... early on it looked like it would be a Steelers/Rams game... A week after we got confirmatio, the Rams came to Foxboro and took the home town team down...

Then the magic happened... That Super Bowl will always be my favorite ...

I mean I find that stuff pretty obnoxious even on this board, listening to a guy who gets paid to do that shtick is even worse.

Fair enough, I'm one of the obnoxious ones though. Give us back our draft picks!!

cool read... thanks

In 2001, I got my Super Bowl tickets in November. I had 4 seats in the south endzone, section 12, row 6... We signed up for seats the day the Patriots announced hiring Bill Parcells. One of the guys who went in with us, and one of my go to dive buddies, Bob G, had a brother who wound up working on a project that was supported/sponsored by the NFL.

So Bobs brother called him one day and asked him if he wanted a ticket for Super Bowl XXXVI. The deal was the NFL would comp 1 ticket, and he could purchase a ticket for $400.00. The team was hovering around .500 at that point, but he said sure, why not. Bob called me that day and asked if i was interested... I was like hells yes ...

Now the Pats were not all that great at this point. As I said, they were hovering around .500 ... On the other hand, if anyone remembers, the Kordell Stewart led Steelers were ripping it up... early on it looked like it would be a Steelers/Rams game... A week after we got confirmatio, the Rams came to Foxboro and took the home town team down...

Then the magic happened... That Super Bowl will always be my favorite ...
When it comes out of nowhere it’s special for sure.

As Simmons says, at that point it was, “Super Bowl? The Super Bowl? Sweet Jesus!” Now we’re hoping to get a 7th ring. It’s bananas.

Puts this dynastic run into perspective.

Great find, thank you. Loved the Beasley Reece reference.

Now I wish I could find Gerry Callahan’s “Loserville” column, published around 2000-2001 And outlining how no Boston/New England teams had a chance of winning i title for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I love the last line about savoring the moment since he may not be able to for a while. Little did he know.

Regards,
Chris
Actually it was the line before it,
""So think about me when you're watching the Pats on Saturday. Maybe you root for the Bengals, Seahawks, Lions, Jets, Falcons, Cardinals or Titans (the old Oilers), so you can totally sympathize"
Nearly 20 years later and not much has changed for those teams...7 teams and a total of one Lombardi"

I can see why people don't like him, to each their own, but it should be noted he is an unabashed Patriots fan

I have a lot listening time at work, so I keep up with a few of his podcasts. For me, it's the Patriots stuff that I find least tolerable, and not because of being obnoxious. It's just that he usually hasn't a clue what he's talking about. At least when he talks about other teams, either I don't know enough to recognize how little he knows, or it's easier to tolerate since it isn't a team he supposedly follows passionately. :)

The article/Simmons lost a bit of credibility for an old fan (who still acts like he's 21) when he got the year wrong for the Ben Dreith Game.

Granted it was 25 years from the time it was written, but still....

giphy.gif

Yup, I remember when a winning season made me happy. 11-5 was an absolutely fantastic season. The 2001 SB was such a stress-free event because that team had already surpassed my expectations. We are living in uncharted territory.

Yup, I remember when a winning season made me happy. 11-5 was an absolutely fantastic season. The 2001 SB was such a stress-free event because that team had already surpassed my expectations. We are living in uncharted territory.
I watched that game at home passing up S B parties because I remembered the 1986 blowout versus Chicago.... When they won, I sat there and stared at the TV. My wife walked in and asked " did they lose" because I was emotionless. I replied that they won but I was too stunned to react.

He definitely goes back a long way. Always find it interesting when some of the senior members on this board go back even farther into the 60’s. I like hearing stories about schaefer?? Stadium from some of the old timers. I think there is even a few fans that remember their first season in 1960.

That was a great little trip down memory lane. It's funny that he doesn't even mention Tom Brady once in that article and the mention of Tecmo Bowl and Irving Fryar sums up my Pats fandom through college. We used to put drinking requirements on little things throughout the Pats games such as doing a shot every time Fryar would signal for a fair catch(hence my name) and of course, who could forget Tecmo Bowl? Tecmo Bowl almost singlehandedly ended my college dreams.

Actually it was the line before it,
""So think about me when you're watching the Pats on Saturday. Maybe you root for the Bengals, Seahawks, Lions, Jets, Falcons, Cardinals or Titans (the old Oilers), so you can totally sympathize"
Nearly 20 years later and not much has changed for those teams...7 teams and a total of one Lombardi"
I feel like the Seahawks have risen above that cesspool of teams. They may only have one SB, but they've been 3 times since and are still in the mix of favorites for now and the foreseeable future with Russell Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down