PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First ten starts for Bledsoe, Brady and Jones

Years ago I had a neighbor in his 60's who had a heart attack. While he was in the hospital he met a younger nurse who he left his wife for when he came out of the hospital. He then changed his will and gave everything to his new wife. He was dead within a month.
But what a month!

nurse GIF

Updated after 11th start.

View attachment 37862

suprised mr statue only had 15 sacks thru 11 games
Why is Bledsoe even in the conversation

Might as well add Eason

Plunkett, on the other hand, would be a good comparison

For fun, check out Young's & Aikman's first 11 starts LOL

A little off topic, but this is Jones vs. the other first rounders this year through 11 games.

Mac Jones is the one
Doug Flutie's passing stats were not impressive, but his results & record were at Brady/Jones level: 8-3.

These other stiffs were given the chance to develop, but here's how they started out:

Unitas: 3-4, 9 TDs, 10 INTs
Montana: 2-6, 16 TDs, 9 INTs
Kelly: 4-12, 22 TDs, 17 INTs
Elway: 4-6, 7 TDs, 14 INTs
Young: 3-16, 11 TDs, 21 INTs
Grogan: 1-6, 11 TDs, 18 INTs
Aikman: 0-11, 9 TDs, 18 INTs
Peyton Manning: 3-13, 26 TDs, 28 INTs

Doug Flutie's passing stats were not impressive, but his results & record were at Brady/Jones level: 8-3.

These other stiffs were given the chance to develop, but here's how they started out:

I do not disagree

He made them up to make Tom look better.
He didnt make them up, they use that all the time to compare players in different era's. Passing was a completely different game in 2001 than it is now. If people want to make a one to one comparison so that they think Mac will have brady's career based on their first 11 games, go ahead, but even if Brady had a terrible year that year, he went on to have the best ever, so it really means nothing until Mac does the same. I mean I can show QB's that had better years than both and went on to do nothing in the NFL. Its a guideline, nothing more.
Lets take a look
RG3 rookie season
15 starts 65.6 completion pct 3200 passing yards 20 td's 5 ints 815 rushing yards 7 rushing td's

baker Mayfield
13 starts 64% 3725 yards 27 td's 14 ints

Cam Newton
60% 4051 passing yards 21 td's 14 ints 706 rushing yards 14 rushing td's

Mac is doing great, but he didnt go to a bottom feeder team, he went to a pretty well established team that had been good for a long time and have the same base in place for years. I think it will be awhile before we start comparing him to Brady.

Last edited:

I can see why everyone but (most) Pats fans is praying that Mac has a low ceiling and that he is close to it.

I rewatched Bledsoe's first and last game of his rookie season....and wow, what a difference. The turnover from 1992 to 1993 meant there were tons of guys being cycled in during the early part of 1993. Lots of rookies, lots of guys who would go on to do....nothing after playing for the Patriots. Last game...he wins it on a Hail Mary to Crittenden (I think).
I remember that play like it was yesterday. It wasn’t a Hail Mary it was a bomb. I think it was OT as well. That team won their last 4 straight if memory serves me well.
I think people forget how good of a coach Parcells was and what an impact he had here.

I can see why everyone but (most) Pats fans is praying that Mac has a low ceiling and that he is close to it.
He's better than Bledsoe. Or Mark Rypien. Or Marc Bulger.

But I like to win games, not obsess over misleading passing yards.

I think people forget how good of a coach Parcells was and what an impact he had here.
His irritating persona was such an annoying contrast to Fairbanks, for example. It's why a lot of us (including myself) were relieved & happy to see him go.

Time educated me, though. Without Parcells you can forget about Belichick.

Aside from Kraft, I think the flying elvis/blue jerseys turned off Parcells big time. The very first thing he did when he arrived in NY was to order the restoration of the Jets' uniforms, which was implemented after the 1-year notice.

YEah, but that doesn't mean you make up numbers. that is called creative accounting.. what is your evidentiary basis to quantify the changes??

Could be tom or could be Gardner

NAMEGPCMPATTPCTYDSAVGYDS/GTDTD%INTINT%SCKSCKYRATE
Gardner Minshew1122037958.02,5546.7232.2154.030.82714888.4
Mac Jones1124534970.22,5407.3230.9144.082.32218394.7

I remember that play like it was yesterday. It wasn’t a Hail Mary it was a bomb. I think it was OT as well. That team won their last 4 straight if memory serves me well.
Tuna threw a bomb? :)

I think some people exaggerate Tuna's impact. We had teams just as good in the 70's and 80's and even the Carrol years were close. Tuna's pressers were good though.

His irritating persona was such an annoying contrast to Fairbanks, for example. It's why a lot of us (including myself) were relieved & happy to see him go.

Time educated me, though. Without Parcells you can forget about Belichick.

Aside from Kraft, I think the flying elvis/blue jerseys turned off Parcells big time. The very first thing he did when he arrived in NY was to order the restoration of the Jets' uniforms, which was implemented after the 1-year notice.
I think Chuck Fairbanks could have become one of the greatest coaches in NFL history with better ownership.

I think Chuck Fairbanks could have become one of the greatest coaches in NFL history with better ownership.
He put us on top in four years, with cheap ownership and the smallest of resources and facilities.

Drunk, misguided fans chanting "Good Bye Chuckie!!" after the playoff loss to the Oilers did not realize they were actually saying 'Goodbye any chance of winning the Super Bowl anytime soon'

YEah, but that doesn't mean you make up numbers. that is called creative accounting.. what is your evidentiary basis to quantify the changes??
Of course you can make up numbers. Robo took out entire seasons to show Bill's record to be better w/o Brady. We can make up anything we want here at Patsfans.

Minshew on this team could be good. But he’ll never be on a decent team and will grow up to be a better Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Evidentiary basis? 59% average completion in 2001. 65.4% average completion in 2021 (at the time of original post). 65.4/59 = 1.108 and use that to multiply Brady's completion % stats in 2001. Pretty much the same calculations as inflation - as creative as the stick drawings my kid is doing now. If the basic package at the Bunny Ranch cost $59 in 2001 but costs $65.40 today, and the deluxe cost $66.10 in 2001, what would be a rough guess for the same deluxe package today? We can go fancier (as this is crude), but this is as simple and uncreative as it gets. Like I said, you can disagree with the method (which would be fair), but I couldn't be farther from making it up.

In between, the stuff listed after 2001 happened as we all know:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back