PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First Let's Sign Our Own (we have 22 UFA's)

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Every year folks want to spend big on free agents on other teams. The first priority is ALWAYS to look to our own first. Otherwise, we will create holes. As always, I pre-sume he ERFA's will be back, at least for camp. Jackson (RFA) will be tagged at the highest level. He'll be back or we'll have a first to use.

OL
Thuney, Andrews, Eluemunor, Ferentz ]also Cannon will likely retire]

RB
White, Burkhead

WR
Byrd
[Edelman could retire]

QB (consider them gone)
Newton
Hoyer

DL
Guy, Butler, Simon, Wise, Davis

LB
Calhoun [Hightower is likely retiring]

DB
Brooks
J McCourty
[D McCourty could retire]
{Chung could retire]

ST
Folk
Bethel
Davis
Copeland

Almost any not signed would need to be replaced, and that would cost cap money, similar to re-signing.

BOTTOM LINE
We all want to add a QB, WR, TE, NT and LB (or two at each of these positions. The first issue is do our best at night creating holes by letting our FA's leave. After we finish making decisions on our re-signing our own, including money for the RFA's, there will be a lot less left than folks think is there.

Every year folks want to spend big on free agents on other teams. The first priority is ALWAYS to look to our own first. Otherwise, we will create holes. As always, I pre-sume he ERFA's will be back, at least for camp. Jackson (RFA) will be tagged at the highest level. He'll be back or we'll have a first to use.

OL

RB
White, Burkhead

WR
Byrd
[Edelman could retire]

QB (consider them gone)
Newton
Hoyer

DL

LB

DB
Brooks
J McCourty
{Chung could retire]

ST
Folk
Bethel
Davis
Copeland

Almost any not signed would need to be replaced, and that would cost cap money, similar to re-signing.

BOTTOM LINE
We all want to add a QB, WR, TE, NT and LB (or two at each of these positions. The first issue is do our best at night creating holes by letting our FA's leave. After we finish making decisions on our re-signing our own, including money for the RFA's, there will be a lot less left than folks think is there.
The value of the cap space bonanza is that many of those players can be let go and upgraded. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the DL are mostly free agents. I think 2021 cap space and the draft has been the target to rebuild the DL. It has had to be piecemealed because of the lack of cap room and other needs.
I think it gets addressed bigly this off season.
When you look at the front 6 it really is 2 DTs and differing combinations of 4 lbs and des.
Personally I think on early forms we have been playing all out DTs out of position because we haven’t had a true NT since branch’s head was in the game. I think cowart really projects as an off the C, 3 tech type DT who could do some damage.
We get the NT this year and another DT for rotation (maybe guy or butler) and the 4th is probably an undersized passing down guy.

The other 4 really needs to be 6 for the versatility.
I think winovich, uche and Jennings are part of it and if Hightower returns it could be a nice group. Bentley has a role but it should be smaller than this years.
Simin could be back but ideally in a smaller role, and is like to see wise back. If Hightower retires this will be a spot for a major addition.

The value of the cap space bonanza is that many of those players can be let go and upgraded. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the DL are mostly free agents. I think 2021 cap space and the draft has been the target to rebuild the DL. It has had to be piecemealed because of the lack of cap room and other needs.
I think it gets addressed bigly this off season.
When you look at the front 6 it really is 2 DTs and differing combinations of 4 lbs and des.
Personally I think on early forms we have been playing all out DTs out of position because we haven’t had a true NT since branch’s head was in the game. I think cowart really projects as an off the C, 3 tech type DT who could do some damage.
We get the NT this year and another DT for rotation (maybe guy or butler) and the 4th is probably an undersized passing down guy.

The other 4 really needs to be 6 for the versatility.
I think winovich, uche and Jennings are part of it and if Hightower returns it could be a nice group. Bentley has a role but it should be smaller than this years.
Simin could be back but ideally in a smaller role, and is like to see wise back. If Hightower retires this will be a spot for a major addition.
I agree that we need a NT.

However, I would note that many of us believe that Guy and Butler have done a good job, and are worth re-signing.

Have to hit free agency for a #1 WR and a TE upgrade.

DL needs some impact youth. Need a well rounded LB to replace Bentleys onetrickponiness. Find a RT in the mid rounds. Really like RB Larry Rountree from Mizzou to go with D. Harris. Also need a #2 corner to go with Jackson, as it seems Gilmore is out the door.

The only QB I’d target rather early is Mac Jones in round 2.

I’m ok letting them all leave. Obviously, they’ll sign some, but really... White is producing lately, but we could move on.

Guy is getting older, but he’d be nice to have. I’ve always liked Butler, so if the $ makes sense he could be pursued.
Bethel & Folk wouldn’t break the bank.

I think Thuney is gone and he’s the #1 guy I’d want back at manageable dollars.

Have to hit free agency for a #1 WR and a TE upgrade.

DL needs some impact youth. Need a well rounded LB to replace Bentleys onetrickponiness. Find a RT in the mid rounds. Really like RB Larry Rountree from Mizzou to go with D. Harris. Also need a #2 corner to go with Jackson, as it seems Gilmore is out the door.

The only QB I’d target rather early is Mac Jones in round 2.
Acquire LB to upgrade Bentley. UCHE, JENNINGS
mid round RT: HERRON

Acquire LB to upgrade Bentley. UCHE, JENNINGS
mid round RT: HERRON
I’ll give ya Herron.
Still don’t see either of those two as Bentley replacements. More John Simon and Donta replacements. But they could roll with them as well and upgrade other spots.

I do like Herron as more of a swing tackle/6th OL. But he could be solid at RT

Thuney would be great to have back, just don’t see them spending the money. Anyways...

My Top 5 re-signs:
L. Guy
A. Butler
D. Andrews
J. White
D. Byrd
I would add Folk as he should be available for Not much money and he convinced me this season. Have a much better feeling when we line up for 3 points. The other ST guys i would like to get back as well. We need at least some continuity or whatever the Word for that is

Thuney would be great to have back, just don’t see them spending the money. Anyways...

My Top 5 re-signs:
L. Guy
A. Butler
D. Andrews
J. White
D. Byrd
It's a bit scary. I agree 100% with your list. I would add Folk and Eluemunor.

Perhaps, the solution is to re-sign Eluemunor. He could compete for the RT starting positions, and be the backup OG.
Agree with this. I thought he played well prior to injury. Then was out of place at LT yesterday. Eluemunor and Herron battling for RT would be good.

Guy, Butler, Cowart, dare I say Beau Allen (if he is a real person) and a higher draft pick would be a solid DLine. If no Allen a true NT is a must.

Byrd and Meyers would be so much better if neither had to be our #1 WR. We'll have Lee, Ford, Harry, and gunner competing for #4 and #5 (plus any minor draft choices and free agent signings.

For me, a true #1 WR would make a big difference, perhaps THE big difference, presuming a functional QB.

I’m a broken record on this butttttttt
Go out and sign K. Golladay and G. Everett
Edelman returns, re-sign Byrd. Turn Harry into a move TE. Roll with:

WR
Golladay
Edelman
Meyers
Byrd

TE
Everett
Asiasi
Keene
Harry???

I could live with that.

Byrd and Meyers would be so much better if neither had to be our #1 WR. We'll have Lee, Ford, Harry, and gunner competing for #4 and #5 (plus any minor draft choices and free agent signings.

For me, a true #1 WR would make a big difference, perhaps THE big difference, presuming a functional QB.
Right there with ya on your thought process:D

WR
Golladay
Edelman
Meyers
Byrd

TE
Everett
Asiasi
Keene
Harry???

I could live with that.
I suspect that we'd like those 2 signings.

WR
Golladay
Edelman
Meyers
Byrd

TE
Everett
Asiasi
Keene
Harry???

I could live with that.
Harry would compete for the #4 WR position with Lee, Ford and whoever else we bring in. I would him to beat our 3 real TE's for a TE position, not even counting Izzo.

Of course, the unsaid issue is that many of don't expect to see Edelman in 2021.

OL

RB
White, Burkhead

WR
Byrd
[Edelman could retire]

QB (consider them gone)
Newton
Hoyer

DL

LB

DB
Brooks
J McCourty
{Chung could retire]

ST
Folk
Bethel
Davis
Copeland
OL Cannon retires. Thuney will not re-sign here unless BB is willing to shell out top dollar. Quentin Nelson is projected to get $20, so Thuney will probably get $16-$18M. He knows there aren't many big contracts and a ton of cap space so it's either pay him or let him walk.

RB
White will not have a big market as he's a gimmick back. He either re-signs or goes to Miami (which I think he does). I would've kept Burkhead over White until the injury.
White, Burkhead

WR
Don't really care. He's a 3rd or 4th option at best. Edelman should retire.
Byrd
[Edelman could retire]

QB (consider them gone)
They can hit the bricks.
Newton
Hoyer

DL
I didn't need PFF to tell me that there is only one person worse than Simon at his position. He can't set the edge, can't rush the passer but occasionally will bat a ball down. He also loves to run where the pile is to make it look like he did something. I'd keep Butler as he'll be cheap and maybe Guy. Front 7 needs an overhaul.

LB
Calhoun can hit the bricks.

DB
Brooks and JMAC need to go. The diapers need to come off for SloJuan or he can hit the bricks.
Brooks
J McCourty
{Chung could retire]

ST
Need a kicker. The rest are replaceable.
Folk
Bethel
Davis
Copeland

Last edited:
I suspect that we'd like those 2 signings.

Harry would compete for the #4 WR position with Lee, Ford and whoever else we bring in. I would him to beat our 3 real TE's for a TE position, not even counting Izzo.

Of course, the unsaid issue is that many of don't expect to see Edelman in 2021.
Agree. Lets just draft Jaylen Waddle then

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back