PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final looks at "pro" mock drafts

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I figure it might make sense to have a thread for the "final predictions" made by various mocks.

Chad Reuter at NFL.com has a 7-rounder:

» Round 2, No. 36 overall (from 49ers in projected trade): Irv Smith, Jr., TE, Alabama
» Round 2, No. 56 (from Bears): Zach Allen, edge, Boston College
» Round 2, No. 64: Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt
» Round 3, No. 73 (from Lions): Will Grier, QB, West Virginia
» Round 3, No. 97: Kingsley Keke, DL, Texas A&M
» Round 3, No. 101: Jamal Davis, LB, Akron
» Round 4, No. 134: Gary Jennings, WR, West Virginia
» Round 6, No. 205: Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor
» Round 7, No. 239 (from Eagles): Rodney Anderson, RB, Oklahoma
» Round 7, 243 (from Chiefs through 49ers and Browns): Terez Hall, LB, Missouri
» Round 7, 246: Saquan Hampton, S, Rutgers
» Round 7, 252: Nick Allegretti, C, Illinois

For the record, the trade appears to be for unspecified picks in 2020.

Last edited:
I figure it might make sense to have a thread for the "final predictions" made by variou smocks.

Chad Reuter at NFL.com has a 7-rounder:

» Round 2, No. 36 overall (from 49ers in projected trade): Irv Smith, Jr., TE, Alabama
» Round 2, No. 56 (from Bears): Zach Allen, edge, Boston College
» Round 3, No. 73 (from Lions): Will Grier, QB, West Virginia
» Round 3, No. 97: Kingsley Keke, DL, Texas A&M
» Round 3, No. 101: Jamal Davis, LB, Akron
» Round 4, No. 134: Gary Jennings, WR, West Virginia
» Round 6, No. 205: Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor
» Round 7, No. 239 (from Eagles): Rodney Anderson, RB, Oklahoma
» Round 7, 243 (from Chiefs through 49ers and Browns): Terez Hall, LB, Missouri
» Round 7, 246: Saquan Hampton, S, Rutgers
» Round 7, 252: Nick Allegretti, C, Illinois

For the record, the trade appears to be for unspecified picks in 2020.

1. I like “various smocks”
2. Reuter certainly pays attention to pre-draft contacts.
3. I could get on board with that. The first four picks are fine and Jennings/Hurd is an interesting WR tandem to add although seem to duplicate each other as primarily slot guys.

Not a fan of the first three picks, and not enough focus on the offense early. One of our biggest needs is OT and it isn't addressed at all. I like a trade down to 36 though. Just not for Smith. He's a late second/early third rounder for me.

R. J. White at CBS Sports, with another 7-rounder:

1 32 WR A.J. Brown, Ole Miss
2 56 TE Irv Smith Jr., Alabama
2 64 CB Joejuan Williams, Vanderbilt
3 73 WR Andy Isabella, UMass
3 97 to Tampa Bay for 107 and 147
3 101 DT Kingsley Keke, Texas A&M
4 107 ILB Blake Cashman, Minnesota
4 134 to San Francisco for DE Arik Armstead
5 147 S Sheldrick Redwine, Miami from
6 191 RB Trayveon Williams, Texas A&M
6 205 to Baltimore for 191
7 239 QB Gardner Minshew II, Washington State
7 243 LB Jamal Davis II, Akron
7 246 to Baltimore
252 to San Francisco

Wow, these mock took quite a few of my guys. Entertaining, but a bit strange. Usually I'm way off in my own universe when it comes to the players I really like for the Patriots. Maybe that means I've given in too much to groupthink.

How many players that we had in for one of our 30 visits will bb take in this draft?

Wr Samuel?
Te sternburger?
Qb Jones?

How many players that we had in for one of our 30 visits will bb take in this draft?

Wr Samuel?
Te sternburger?
Qb Jones?
Last year he only took 3 out of 30. Dawson, Sam, and Berrios. Only one pick (Dawson) visited and was picked in the first TWO days. Watching who have predraft visits isn't likely to be a key factor in who actually shows up here post draft.

Last year he only took 3 out of 30. Dawson, Sam, and Berrios. Only one pick (Dawson) visited and was picked in the first TWO days. Watching who have predraft visits isn't likely to be a key factor in who actually shows up here post draft.

I think we drafted 4, but I'd have double check. Regardless, even 10% is pretty good odds compared with trying to narrow down the entire pool of prospects. Might as well follow the only few clues we have.

I think we drafted 4, but I'd have double check. Regardless, even 10% is pretty good odds compared with trying to narrow down the entire pool of prospects. Might as well follow the only few clues we have.
so much harder to predict the Pats draft choices because of how low they consistently have to draft in EACH round

It was 3 visits but we worked out Crossen and met with Michel at the combine.

so much harder to predict the Pats draft choices because of how low they consistently have to draft in EACH round

I have always round this argument strange. The patriots pick one pick before the worst team, and we pick within 3 or 4 of the worst team every year. The obvious difference is their first pick.

Why is is it more difficult to predict 32 than 33 or 62 than 63?

The top notch scouting service Our Lads doesn't do mocks, but here is their assessment of this draft's TE, WR, and QB

Tight Ends
1 Noah Fant Iowa
2 TJ Hockenson Iowa
3 Irvin Smith Jr. Alabama
4 Kahale Warring San Diego State
5 Dawson Knox Mississippi
6 Josh Oliver San Jose State
7 Jace Sternberger Texas A&M
8 Caleb Wilson UCLA
9 Foster Moreau LSU
10 Drew Sample Washington

Wide Receivers
1 DeKaylin Metcalf Mississippi
2 Deebo Samuel South Carolina
3 Marquise Brown Oklahoma
4 A.J. Brown Mississippi
5 N'Keal Harry Arizona State
6 J.J. Arcega-Whiteside Stanford
7 Hakeem Butler Iowa State
8 Parris Campbell Ohio State
9 Miles Boykin Notre Dame
10 Andy Isabella Massachusetts

Quarterbacks
1 Dwayne Haskins Ohio State
2 Kyler Murray Oklahoma
3 Ryan Finley North Carolina St
4 Daniel Jones Duke
5 Drew Lock Missouri
6 Will Grier West Virginia
7 Jarrett Stidham Auburn
8 Tyree Jackson Buffalo
9 Clayton Thorson Northwestern
10 Brett Rypien Boise State

There’s barely a mock nowadays that doesn’t have Big Dex going to the Pats. No-one has bought into the interest in OL it seems.

I think o-line is the most likely pick at 32, followed by WR then DL.

I think o-line is the most likely pick at 32, followed by WR then DL.

It will be an interesting test of BB’s love for big fatties if Big Dex is available though. Only last year he traded a 3rd for one year of big fatty play and now we’ve got a possibility of drafting a better one for five* cost controlled years. An interesting choice.

* Obviously the 5th year isn’t so cost-controlled.

It will be an interesting test of BB’s love for big fatties if Big Dex is available though. Only last year he traded a 3rd for one year of big fatty play and now we’ve got a possibility of drafting a better one for five* cost controlled years. An interesting choice.

* Obviously the 5th year isn’t so cost-controlled.

The game of football is win and lost in the trenches. Whoever controls the line of scrimmage usually wins the game.

I am 100 percent ok with us taking Lawrence, Simmons, Wilkins or some other DT at 32.

The game of football is win and lost in the trenches. Whoever controls the line of scrimmage usually wins the game.

I am 100 percent ok with us taking Lawrence, Simmons, Wilkins or some other DT at 32.

Me too. Any of those three would be terrific.

His reason for drafting him is terrible

William's slow 40-yard dash times probably won't hurt his stock too much. New England must add youth to the secondary in this draft.

I would completely agree with his reasoning if he had a Saftey. But he has a CB.... last time I checked these were the CBs on the Pats roster

McCourty -31
Gilmore- 28
Jones- 25
Jackson- 23
Crossen- 23
Dawson- 23

Jason McCourty is the only player over 28 years old

Safety is the position where both starters over 30 but even there I feel like Pats did get younger signing Melifonwu who will have half a season and a full training camp going into next season.

His reason for drafting him is terrible

I would completely agree with his reasoning if he had a Saftey. But he has a CB.... last time I checked these were the CBs on the Pats roster

McCourty -31
Gilmore- 28
Jones- 25
Jackson- 23
Crossen- 23
Dawson- 23

Jason McCourty is the only player over 28 years old

Safety is the position where both starters over 30 but even there I feel like Pats did get younger signing Melifonwu who will have half a season and a full training camp going into next season.

We’ve spoken to three CBs including Joejuan and all are 6’2” or over. BB might not want the defensive backfield to get younger, but he’s certainly interested in them getting taller. He may not draft any of them, but there’s clearly some level of interest in Talib/Browner type CBs.

CB is one of the 4 premium positions in football. Taking one there is smart.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back