PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger on Moss....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on that is an excuse. The guy hustling the hardest out there on all accounts was Welker and Stallworth wasn't far behind. Heck, Brady called Welker a Labadore because of his hustle. There were a lot of new guys busting their asses out there and Moss wasn't one of them.

I don't think it is a huge deal that Moss was dogging it in minicamp, but if it goes into training camp it is going to become a problem. Moss has also had injuries each of the last three years and some of them may be attributed to conditioning. I wonder if Moss dogging it in the past may be affecting his ability to stay healthy. Maybe, maybe not. But Moss hasn't been a dominant player in three years and maybe what he has done in the past isn't working now that he is getting up there in age.

Making excuses for the guy only goes so far. First, his effort problems was he was playing for a horrible team. Now it is he is working at his own pace. At some point if he continues to dog it, people have to accept the facts that Moss is just lazy in practice.

You and I must have watched a different feed of Sports Final. DeOssie was mocking Felger's hysteria laced diatribe. He tried to explain what mini camp was, told him all receivers dog routes now and again, and (half jokingly but to make his point) told him guys who pant and sweat (ala Welker) often do so because they aren't in shape.

Felger tried to get Don Banks to join him in the light Monday on his radio show, but Banks continued to say that this is the way Randy has always approached the game - including when he was putting up sick numbers in Minnesota. He's not a leader, he wasn't hired to tutor the youngsters, he's a talent who was brought in to catch passes and score TD's and help create matchup nightmares for opposing DC's. Banks said his attitude is obviously upbeat and he looks happier than he has since his early years. And he is here when Belichick told him he didn't have to be working hard at what he (and apparently his teamates) believe he needs to work on. He's in the weight room mornings when Rodney arrives, and in the meeting rooms and at the charity events with his teamates and even attending wakes for guys he never knew.

Felger is just playing his Dillon card. He's being contrarian because that gives him the best chance of getting his opinions noticed. He has become the epitome of that old adage that there is no such thing as bad press, only press. His ratings have been taking a beating of late, and he's sinking to new lows to drum up callers. The other day they were talking about the Vick case. Felger is on record mocking the concept of punishing someone for killing pit bulls, including the other Falcon to do so (Babineaux), saying they do society a service. His idiot sidekicks were saying he only felt that way because of his irrational hatred of a breed, and if it were golden retrievers being maimed and killed he'd feel differently, wouldn't he...well...Mike... His snappy retort was, I'm thinking. Apparently about his ratings.

Felger is all about being a sports radio shock jock now.

Yesterday he said he's fine with Moss not talking to the media. He's fine with none of them talking, because if they don't then he's free to write or say whatever he wants about them without having to listen to their pathetic blah blah blah...

As fans we would be well served to care about what Bill and his team have to say about players. You won't get that from Felger. All you will get from him is what he says he thinks or as "heard" based on an overwhelming need to boost ratings ESPN the parent company is likely chewing his ass over. By his own admission he is no longer a member of the Herald staff, rather he is on hiatus and freelancing the occasional column for them. His entire focus is on hanging on to his little media empire and that's all about the ratings.

You and I must have watched a different feed of Sports Final. DeOssie was mocking Felger's hysteria laced diatribe. He tried to explain what mini camp was, told him all receivers dog routes now and again, and (half jokingly but to make his point) told him guys who pant and sweat (ala Welker) often do so because they aren't in shape.

Felger tried to get Don Banks to join him in the light Monday on his radio show, but Banks continued to say that this is the way Randy has always approached the game - including when he was putting up sick numbers in Minnesota. He's not a leader, he wasn't hired to tutor the youngsters, he's a talent who was brought in to catch passes and score TD's and help create matchup nightmares for opposing DC's. Banks said his attitude is obviously upbeat and he looks happier than he has since his early years. And he is here when Belichick told him he didn't have to be working hard at what he (and apparently his teamates) believe he needs to work on. He's in the weight room mornings when Rodney arrives, and in the meeting rooms and at the charity events with his teamates and even attending wakes for guys he never knew.

Felger is just playing his Dillon card. He's being contrarian because that gives him the best chance of getting his opinions noticed. He has become the epitome of that old adage that there is no such thing as bad press, only press. His ratings have been taking a beating of late, and he's sinking to new lows to drum up callers. The other day they were talking about the Vick case. Felger is on record mocking the concept of punishing someone for killing pit bulls, including the other Falcon to do so (Babineaux), saying they do society a service. His idiot sidekicks were saying he only felt that way because of his irrational hatred of a breed, and if it were golden retrievers being maimed and killed he'd feel differently, wouldn't he...well...Mike... His snappy retort was, I'm thinking. Apparently about his ratings.

Felger is all about being a sports radio shock jock now.

Yesterday he said he's fine with Moss not talking to the media. He's fine with none of them talking, because if they don't then he's free to write or say whatever he wants about them without having to listen to their pathetic blah blah blah...

As fans we would be well served to care about what Bill and his team have to say about players. You won't get that from Felger. All you will get from him is what he says he thinks or as "heard" based on an overwhelming need to boost ratings ESPN the parent company is likely chewing his ass over. By his own admission he is no longer a member of the Herald staff, rather he is on hiatus and freelancing the occasional column for them. His entire focus is on hanging on to his little media empire and that's all about the ratings.

DeOssie did admit Moss dogged it, but he felt Felger was going overboard with his trashing of Moss. He agreed that Moss was not trying as hard as other players, but he thought Felger was going overboard when Felger took that and basically implied that Moss was going to be a problem. So what I said was correct. Actually, DeOssie straddled the fence of Felger being overly pessimistic and Burton being overly optimistic (both guys went way overboard reading into what in the grand scheme of things will be very minor events).

Personally, I think him going to Hill's funeral and the charity events are overplayed. Moss did more than what what was required of him, but everyone on the team attended those events including Welker, AD, Morris, and all the new additions. I'm not going to judge Moss' commitment to being an intrical member of this team by how many outside team activities he has been in.

I am also concerned that Moss is approaching this as business as usual. Whether if it was his circumstances or not, his approach to the game hasn't worked the last three year as it did when he was 25. He has had nagging injuries the last three years and hasn't been a dominant player since 2003. Maybe Tom Walsh is right and he just isn't accepting that his skills have eroded some and that he needs to work harder to get similiar production.

I hope I am wrong and the Randy Moss of 2003 is playing for the Patriots this year, but I do fear that he has relied on sheer talent alone and now his body isn't letting him do it anymore on sheer talent. Even Banks said Moss isn't going to change and he may just have to change to be a top WR in the league once again.

DeOssie did admit Moss dogged it, but he felt Felger was going overboard with his trashing of Moss. He agreed that Moss was not trying as hard as other players, but he thought Felger was going overboard when Felger took that and basically implied that Moss was going to be a problem. So what I said was correct. Actually, DeOssie straddled the fence of Felger being overly pessimistic and Burton being overly optimistic (both guys went way overboard reading into what in the grand scheme of things will be very minor events).

Sorry, I didn't get that at all. He was allowing for it perhaps, but Steve didn't attend the mini camp from what I gathered.

Personally, I think him going to Hill's funeral and the charity events are overplayed. Moss did more than what what was required of him, but everyone on the team attended those events including Welker, AD, Morris, and all the new additions. I'm not going to judge Moss' commitment to being an intrical member of this team by how many outside team activities he has been in.

Then you probably shouldn't judge him based on the potentially pre determined impressions of a few guys who have never played the game beyond highschool observing a three day mini camp the first week in June, either.

I am also concerned that Moss is approaching this as business as usual. Whether if it was his circumstances or not, his approach to the game hasn't worked the last three year as it did when he was 25. He has had nagging injuries the last three years and hasn't been a dominant player since 2003. Maybe Tom Walsh is right and he just isn't accepting that his skills have eroded some and that he needs to work harder to get similiar production.

Moss has in the past trained on his own in the offseason, as do many players. Bill cleared him to do the same following the trade. The fact that he is here and working with our staff and players is a sea change in attitude. Tom Walsh should talk about eroding skills...is he still coaching or back to managing that bed and breakfast?

I hope I am wrong and the Randy Moss of 2003 is playing for the Patriots this year, but I do fear that he has relied on sheer talent alone and now his body isn't letting him do it anymore on sheer talent. Even Banks said Moss isn't going to change and he may just have to change to be a top WR in the league once again.

Don disagrees with you though. He thinks Randy is fine physically and more importantly better than he's been in years mentally post trade. Randy's downfall wasn't solely a matter of over reliance on talent or bad attitude. His surrounding casts had a little something to to with it. Incompetence breeds discontent. Just ask guys like Taylor and Thomas who are apparently running short of patience with a franchise pissing away their careers in Miami. Randy won't have to deal with that here.

I love it when Felger is kissing up to the Pats after every good win like against Cinci. Then he makes these ridiculous articles. Every report I have heard about mini camp was that Brady - Moss was great. Except Felger. No suprise.

I have no trouble with criticism of Moss, as his actions on Oakland last year have left him open to criticism. He may well fail in NE. However, Felger's point of view on the man was formed long before that minicamp, just like his opinion of Dillon was formed before he ever took the field as a Patriot.

The point isn't whether he is right or wrong, the point is everything Felger writes and says is designed to play up drama and create WEEI-style storylines for his newspaper pieces and radio show. He has a right to do that, but anything he "reports" needs to be read with the knowledge that he isn't going to let anything like facts get in the way of his opinion. It is about Felger's agenda and nothing else.

The article Felger wrote was predictable, whether it is accurate or not. I will not use it to judge whether or not Moss is getting with the Patriot program, because it is biased. I do not know if Moss is getting with the program or not, but I know that I can't use Felger's reports to judge it one way or another. Other media sources are still valid.

I love it when Felger is kissing up to the Pats after every good win like against Cinci. Then he makes these ridiculous articles. Every report I have heard about mini camp was that Brady - Moss was great. Except Felger. No suprise.

I recall Felger being an OK guy just a few short years ago. In fact I used to respect his opinion. BTW... does anyone know what happened to Calahan? I like the revolving cast on WEEI's morning show.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1006060

I heard the same thing from Tom Casale but he said its probably cause Moss makes everything look so effortlessly, but take is as you want...

why doesn't felgy see what Len Pasquarelli wrote about AD and BB:

"...There is no question that, as much as any coach in the league, Belichick uses springtime football to mix and match components. For all the complex plotting done in his laboratory, the basics of minicamps and organized team activities sessions revolve around the basic tenets that serve as the bedrock philosophies of the mad scientist.

Belichick views minicamp as a teaching and learning experience, in which the assimilation of doing things the right way supersedes performance. And learning to do things the Patriots' way characteristically entails learning a lot of different positions..."

So what can felgy take from this? how about the 2nd bolded line above, Right way Superseeds performance.

To all the felgys and bor-gusses in the sports world take note, Here in lies the start of 07, not the actuall games played, but the learning...so take a chill.

PD.

Yeah, well put.

Questioning a player's work ethic should not be done lightly, IMO, particularly from commenators/writers who have never played any sports, a la Felger. It's easy to say a guy's dogging it from one's desk chair.

That's why I'd much rather hear what DeOssie has to say then Felger or the ever-increasingly annoying John Dennis, who was on another anti-Moss tirade this morning, thankfully, DeOssie was on and shut him down repeatedly.

Last edited:
As I recall, Dillon also had a more cavalier attitude towards practice when he first got here.

I think this is learned behavior from other more lenient programs.

I'm not trying to be a Moss apologist. It's early yet. He will either get with the program or hit the road.

Hopefully, the core leaders will set him straight about the sense of urgency necessary to win champoinships.

Moss is a 9 yr veteran. Personally I don't care if he goes all out in a pre-season mini-camp, as long as his participation is not a distraction to others. When the season rolls around, he will be there. The guys who will keep him honest in games will be Brady, who won't throw to him if he's not running the route, and Stallworth. Competition is the primary positive reinforcement and he will have it in Stallworth. I really look for Moss to have one of the best years of his career.

Moss is a 9 yr veteran. Personally I don't care if he goes all out in a pre-season mini-camp, as long as his participation is not a distraction to others. When the season rolls around, he will be there. The guys who will keep him honest in games will be Brady, who won't throw to him if he's not running the route, and Stallworth. Competition is the primary positive reinforcement and he will have it in Stallworth. I really look for Moss to have one of the best years of his career.

second that, well put.

PD.

Felger revisited the Moss/Minicamp article on his show yesterday. Once again he insisted that not only was Moss dogging it but more importantly, he wasn't beeating *anybody* and that he looked totally ordinary. This I think is what I was reacting to when I compared Felger with the other people covering the Minicamp. I don't recall anyone other than Felger basically saying "this guy has lost so much that he basically stinks now". Borges kind of touched on it with his last ppiece in the Globe with the comments from Raiders coaches.

This is how I feel as well. I really don't care what Moss does on the practice field as long as he performs well in games and stays out of trouble. He's been around the league long enough to know what works for him, and he is free to do that as long as he isn't causing problems or distracting other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back