PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favorite Free Agent target this year aka sign the beast #008: Travis Benjamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how much he'd cost, don't have much cap to spend.
Almost $30 mm (assuming we are $6mm under) if they rid of Mayo (sorry but it is time. Make him a coach) , Cannon, LaFell, Dobson, Scott Chandler, Chris Jones and restructure Danny and Volmer.
We don't have to spend high on Draft picks because we don't have a #1. Some should go toward Hightower, Butler and Collins. Some say Jones but he is at a buy low with his drug crap and season ending drop off.

I have a question. I think Benjamin is good but yet another smurf. Deep threat isn't a top need with TB's arm, and his game is more accurate short and intermediate. A tall WR with a big catch radius and Red Zone threat or a big talented TE with moves would seem better.

Megatron is a dream and Alshon Jeffrey might cost too much, but Mohammad Sanu (or Jones from the Bengals) or a young kid like TE Coby Fleener at 6'6" and 251 more of an "H" back like AH seems a better fit? Fleener has had over 50 receptions the last three years for non-believers that he can't catch. Preposterous! He also has 4.45 speed! "H" backs are not expected to block but just get in the way. He can get better there.

Real good O-Iinemen might at the right price might be the practical move. Okung has been hurt. He is representing himself and says he is good to go for 2016. He has been a solid starter for Seattle. He might be a little pricey.

The OT that intrigues me is Kelvin Beachum. He is young and was on the rise in Pittsburgh before an early season ACL. As we know....they throw the ball!

From PFF:
"The Steelers really stumbled into a franchise left tackle, right? Not many would have seen the seventh-round pick as the solution back in 2012, but he has proven that with his best year to date. He’s not a dominant run blocker, but you want your left tackle to slow edge rushers down and giving up just 24 quarterback disruptions all year shows Beachum is more than capable of that.

His career arch is rising. Beachum took over as the team’s left tackle in Week 6 of the 2013 season, and, outside of a few games missed due to injury, he’s been the team’s undisputed starter."

PFF Ranked him 67 out of the top 101 players in 2015. Pittsburgh does not have CAP space. Recovering from surgery should lower the ask for us. He is an upgrade and a possible Solder to RT and Beachum to LT idea. Or with Volmer, three decent OT rotation if Beachum needs a few months to work his way in because of the recovery. He is only 26.

Other reasonable pick up for a younger player might be Stefen Wisniewski. He plays Guard and Center and BB like versatility. He has to be better than Kline! He is still young. He improved the Jags O-Line. He's only 26.

If you can get some of those four or five and speaking of the "D", resign Hicks, I still see us needing LB depth. Zach Browm or Orlando McClain come to mind. I still think of Chung as a perfect fit OLB (he did a lot at LB anyway in 2015) so in that case you need a Saftey. My dream scenario add back there (IMO!) is Weddle teamed with McCourty if you move Chung to OLB. I have said that ad nauseum but............
DW Toys

Once again I'll defer To you. Who better to discuss stupid and 12 year old behavior than the board troll?
Funny...why, because I said Denver wasn't a walkover???? Um, OK.....:rolleyes:

Before a series of moves that should free up at least 20 Million. Mayo and Chandler alone free up 10 Million.

Add Marcus Cannon - LaFell and and possibly often injuried Amendola we should have $$$$ to burn. The Patriots need Two Legitimate WR's via FA.

He balled out in a contract year and was nowhere to be found before that. He also vanished like a fart in the wind in the last quarter of the season. Buyer beware. Someone will back up the Brinks truck for him and it won't be the Patriots.

The Pats do not need a deep threat, but if he is proficient at short to intermediate passes then he is consideration.

But his deep threat capabilities is most likely going to make him too expensive.

The Pats don't need a deep threat because they flamed out ie...Bethel Johnson - Chad Jackson and Aaron Dropson it's not for a lack of trying. These guys are fast and can threaten down field...you are telling me you are ok with RB JAmes White running go routes??

That's why I'm asking...what the f does it mean? I mean, I'm certainly no SJW but someone could take "sign the beast" as equating a player to an animal...just sounds silly to me, unless this board is populated by 12 year olds...

Oh come on.

That's why I'm asking...what the f does it mean? I mean, I'm certainly no SJW but someone could take "sign the beast" as equating a player to an animal...just sounds silly to me, unless this board is populated by 12 year olds...

Is that the last time you had fun?

The Pats don't need a deep threat because they flamed out ie...Bethel Johnson - Chad Jackson and Aaron Dropson it's not for a lack of trying. These guys are fast and can threaten down field...you are telling me you are ok with RB JAmes White running go routes??

I am telling you that Brady even when he had Moss and Stallworth wasn't the best deep ball passer and he is now 8 years older.

Also, neither Chad Jackson nor Aaron Dobson were/are deep threat burners. They are big body outside receivers. Bethel Johnson was the only deep threat they ever tried to bring in via the draft and he was drafted early in Brady's career.

And I don't want any Patriots receivers running those routes. Again, Brady isn't Joe Flacco. Brady is a surgeon who will carve a defense up by surgically moving the offense down the field. He doesn't need to throw 50 yard bombs like Flacco does. By trying to make this offense a vertical offense, you take away Brady's strengths and forces him to rely on his weaknesses.

I never got why people want deep threat WRs with Brady. Brady's greatest strength is his mind, not his arm. You use a deep threat WR when you have a less intelligent QB with a cannon for an arm like Flacco.

If you can get the Cowboys to trade Dez Bryant for a seventh rounder or the Steelers to trade Antonio Bryant for a fifth, then I am on board. But this team doesn't need a deep threat.

I don't know enough about Benjamin to know his strengths and weaknesses. Who has the stomach to watch Browns games. If he is a smart WR who can catch short to intermediate passes and make more yards out of it, I am all for it. But if he is mostly a deep threat, then he is a waste in this offense. And I am always weary of a player who does little until his contract year.

Stick around! It's what we do.
I think I'm gonna take the high road on this one

n3Gn04.gif

What is with the "sign the BEAST" stuff on this board? It sounds really ****ing stupid.....
It has become a common thread title that helps board members, who don't want to read baseless rumors, get to the threads with facts or credence to them. Basically, "Sign the beast," means, "Who wants to get overly excited about a guy that we probably won't sign?!" Maybe we should label them that if it agrees with you more.

I find it useful, because I usually pass on reading 9 out of 10 of them. But I actually find Benjamin intriguing.

He balled out in a contract year and was nowhere to be found before that. He also vanished like a fart in the wind in the last quarter of the season. Buyer beware. Someone will back up the Brinks truck for him and it won't be the Patriots.
I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for now considering who his quarterbacks have been for the past few years. I'd say he has potential going forward, but this year could've also been his peak.

The only reason I know Travis Benjamin is because I had him on my fantasy team early in the season hehe

He had a good start, but became very average as the year went on.. he has some skills though and that Cleveland offense was a mess

The only reason I know Travis Benjamin is because I had him on my fantasy team early in the season hehe

He had a good start, but became very average as the year went on.. he has some skills though and that Cleveland offense was a mess
Look who was throwing to him later in the year though. It was Austin Davis half of the time and Johnny Football the other half of the time. Seemed like Josh McCown knew how to hit him more.

I'd rather they trade a 2017 4th for Gordon to come play with his favorite QB

there is only one guy on my list Matt Forte, we all seen how good this offense is when the run/pass game was unpredictable with Dion Lewis at RB when Blount or Jackson was in there teams knew the pats were running and when white was in teams knew it was a pass.

so if Lewis could make the offense that great I can only dream of what Forte could do for this offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes