PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fairley at DE if he drops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbiologist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
He started off as the top pick and has lost momentum and percieved value has dropped. How far can he drop in the draft and how high would you trade up to get him? If he gets to Dallas I'd say he's worth the move.

He started off as the top pick and has lost momentum and percieved value has dropped. How far can he drop in the draft and how high would you trade up to get him? If he gets to Dallas I'd say he's worth the move.

He's worth the move.

No! No! No! He is a pure 4-3 under tackle and does not possess the skill set to read and react from one of our DE positions.

Just say no!!!!!!!

No! No! No! He is a pure 4-3 under tackle and does not possess the skill set to read and react from one of our DE positions.

Just say no!!!!!!!

What have you seen to make yourself believe he can't do it? He played 43 in most of the snaps at Auburn. This kid is so athletic and talented I don't think you could truly tell what he could do in a 34 alignment if they put him there. All i saw was some guy in a 43 wrecking defenses all last year in the SEC. And that included pelting double teams all along the way.

I think Dareus is the most ready product for our system but I'm not going to rule Fairley out because he couldn't play our defense due to the coaches picking their alignment. He is well worth the risk imo. If he falls and the Pats trade up for him I'd be overjoyed knowing we may of just got another steal on draft day. I'd be willing to bet BB is watching his status closely.

I wouldn't trade up to 16 for him. In fact, if he fell to 17, I'd rather trade the pick to a team that wants him rather than draft him.

I think its been said before but we are in sub packages well over 50% of the time with some 4-3 and different alignments? He looks athletic and disruptive, just what we need next to the man mountains

According to some reports he lacks mental toughness and work ethic (isn't a big weight room guy). If there's one thing we know is that guys drafted that high can not be a miss and there is no better way to get a MISS than drafting a guy who doesn't have the heart and desire. Remember, BB drafts guy to whom football is important and a life priority.

This guy's talent is unquestionable, but he's a one year wonder. He stepped up and gave it his all when it mattered. Who's to say when gets to the league and gets paid he won't succumb to mediocrity? Not to mention getting blocked by NFL linemen. That factor will always be there. Suh and Dareus both have mental toughness - if they hit a road block they will work to go through it. Fairley is a question mark for a price that will probably be much to steep (2 1sts).

So unless I interviewed the guy, looked in his eyes and saw dedication, heart, effort, and believed it would carry through I wouldn't draft him.

The issue I have is that he's been a strictly up-field penetrator. I've seen nothing that indicates he can play 2 gaps, read and react, and stay home. Maybe he can do it but trading up for somebody who may or may not be able to start in your defense isn't a great idea.

Last edited:
There are other's pointing out the draft rumors about Suh a year ago and noting the parallels. I doubt he slides that far, if he does, I think NE is an excellent landing place where Nick would have Vince and Ty and Pepper and BB setting the tone, I think he'd develop just fine.

There are other's pointing out the draft rumors about Suh a year ago and noting the parallels. I doubt he slides that far, if he does, I think NE is an excellent landing place where Nick would have Vince and Ty and Pepper and BB setting the tone, I think he'd develop just fine.

Maybe - but I think one consistent sign I can point to in our first round picks is their love of the game and work ethic. Look at guys like Maroney and Merriweather. BB's always said Maroney worked hard, and Merriweather is a film rat.

I think a substantial lack of work ethic/love of the game disqualifies one from being on the NE board.

Maybe - but I think one consistent sign I can point to in our first round picks is their love of the game and work ethic. Look at guys like Maroney and Merriweather. BB's always said Maroney worked hard, and Merriweather is a film rat.

I think a substantial lack of work ethic/love of the game disqualifies one from being on the NE board.
Again, those reports all started surfacing after the Combine, classic timing for disinformation. Neither of us are in a position to know the truth, all we can do is look back to TV broadcast and his stats, either of which I can live with.

he wont drop far. Remember, any information you hear now is most likely a smokescreen.

What have you seen to make yourself believe he can't do it? He played 43 in most of the snaps at Auburn. This kid is so athletic and talented I don't think you could truly tell what he could do in a 34 alignment if they put him there. All i saw was some guy in a 43 wrecking defenses all last year in the SEC. And that included pelting double teams all along the way.

I think Dareus is the most ready product for our system but I'm not going to rule Fairley out because he couldn't play our defense due to the coaches picking their alignment. He is well worth the risk imo. If he falls and the Pats trade up for him I'd be overjoyed knowing we may of just got another steal on draft day. I'd be willing to bet BB is watching his status closely.

You have to ask yourself if Fairley can stand up an opposing OT on running plays. Read and control the B abd C gaps and disengage and wrap up the ball carrier the second the RB enters his gaps.

Or is Fairley a guy that thrived in college by being quickest off the ball and shooting gaps to cause major disruption in the opposing backfield.

What happens if Fairley shoots the B or C gap at the snap in our 3-4 defense, the RB adjusts and heads straight for the huge unmanned holes Fairley just created. One cutback and the RB is gone. The ILBs have been wiped out by the OG and OT since neither had to block Fairley.

Just say NO!

You have to ask yourself if Fairley can stand up an opposing OT on running plays. Read and control the B abd C gaps and disengage and wrap up the ball carrier the second the RB enters his gaps.

Or is Fairley a guy that thrived in college by being quickest off the ball and shooting gaps to cause major disruption in the opposing backfield.

What happens if Fairley shoots the B or C gap at the snap in our 3-4 defense, the RB adjusts and heads straight for the huge unmanned holes Fairley just created. One cutback and the RB is gone. The ILBs have been wiped out by the OG and OT since neither had to block Fairley.

Just say NO!

What if he comes in on 3rd down and blast between the tackle & guard and sacks the QB?

I think they would find a way to "waste his talent" on early downs and let him earn his money on the 57%+ plays they shift out of their base 3-4.

Anyway, this is the usual annual interesting although impossible scenario that has no chance of happening.

Just say NO!

lol If I can teach my dog to stay, I'm sure Belichick can teach Fairley not to overshoot his gaps. Don't make it any more diffucult than it is. You make it sound like he will never learn anything else football wise as long as he lives. Even with a good coaching staff like the Patriots.

As far as him standing up vs a tackle? I saw him do it many times with a guard helping that OT.

I think its been said before but we are in sub packages well over 50% of the time with some 4-3 and different alignments? He looks athletic and disruptive, just what we need next to the man mountains

Well, we WERE in 40-front sub-packages more than 50% of the time in 2010. The question is, was that by design or simply because we didn't have the healthy personnel to effectively run the base 30-front?

Why would Fairley be worth more to us that a 43 team. If we trade up, it should be for Jordan or Watt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back