PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expected cuts this year or next

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbell31

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Mankins, Wilfork, Arrington, Connolly, A. Wilson....restructures/cuts needed on overpaid are Mankins, Wilfork, Mayo, Arrington, Connolly

Next year- Amendola, Arrington (if Revis re-signs), Mankins (if he doesn't restructure)

Expected cut? Jerod Mayo?

Put down the booze :bricks:

Mankins, Wilfork, Arrington, Connolly, A. Wilson....restructures/cuts needed on overpaid are Mankins, Wilfork, Mayo, Arrington, Connolly
  • Adrian Wilson
  • Jake Bequette
  • DJ Williams
  • Tavon Wilson
  • Danny Amendola
  • Kyle Arrington
  • Kenbrell Thompkins
  • Armond Armstead
I only added Armstead to the list because if he does not play again this season or suffers any setbacks I think that will spell the end of the road for him.

The rest of the players could be gone in 2014 or 2015 due to cap reasons, health, or lack of production.

Bequette still being on the roster is already a shocker.

In 2012, Jerod Mayo ranked second among 4-3 OLB behind just Von Miller.
Run Defense18/20
Jerod Mayo tracks the ball well coming off the edge. His past experience at inside linebacker allows him to see and read his keys well, which puts him into position to make plays moving inside-out. Mayo’s vision makes him a tough player to beat on the corner, but he moves with deceptive speed and fluid hips when tracking the ball laterally. He’s not exceptionally fast when closing on the ball, but he has good strength to put runners down.

Pass Rush14/20
Mayo is an impressive athlete and all-around linebacker. If there’s a hole in his game, it’s when he's asked to rush the passer. He doesn’t have the quickness or burst to bend the edge and get to the quarterback, but he plays with strength and can beat blockers when they get their hands on him. Mayo will make an impact in the passing game by cleaning up trash and flushing the pocket.

Coverage17/20
An underrated cover man, Mayo surprised us with his ability to drop into zones and then shift to plant and close on passes. He has good balance and light feet. His agility allows him to change direction to get to the ball in the air. When matched up one-on-one, he’s able to keep pace with tight ends and backs throughout transitions.

Tackle37/40
A hard hitter with the size and strength to stop runners in their tracks, Mayo closes on the ball well and has the upper- and lower-body strength to hit and stick ball-carriers. He won’t miss tackles if he can get into position to put his pads on the ball.

Overall86/100
Mayo is a versatile linebacker in that he can play inside and outside linebacker. But as the Patriots have moved to a 4-3 defense, his stock has taken off as a premier player on the edge.
I do not mean any offense, but if you actually believe Mayo will be cut in the next two season you are out of you freaking mind. He is a top five overall LB in the NFL, I think that you mix up his being a complete LB and not a pass rush LB with his performance being poor, that is not the case I assure you.

• Armond Armstead
I only added Armstead to the list because if he does not play again this season or suffers any setbacks I think that will spell the end of the road for him.

I don't think Belichick holds last season against Armstead.

I don't think Belichick holds last season against Armstead.

I don't either, I'm just saying if it continues to be an issue the team may have to let him go. I personally do not anticipate that and consider Armstead a potential breakout player this coming season but I wanted to list all possibilities to be fair.

Amendola is on a prove-it year, I think.

Mankins will have to restructure next year or will likely be cut.

In 2012, Jerod Mayo ranked second among 4-3 OLB behind just Von Miller.

I do not mean any offense, but if you actually believe Mayo will be cut in the next two season you are out of you freaking mind. He is a top five overall LB in the NFL, I think that you mix up his being a complete LB and not a pass rush LB with his performance being poor, that is not the case I assure you.

I meant mayo restructured

notice the "restructure" word in there before u try to be a smart guy..

Formatting and organizing your post a little better would help.

Mayo is not getting restructered. The guy is one of the best LB in the game, it's not happening

Mayo is not getting restructered. The guy is one of the best LB in the game, it's not happening

Which is why he's going to get restructured, I hope. Cutting Mayo would save the Pats 9m+ in both 2016 and 2017 (he's signed through 2017).

"Restructure" isn't a bad word for a player and doesn't necessarily mean a pay cut. Everyone thinks Brady took a pay cut to "help the team," but the truth is, a 36-year-old (at that time) QB renegotiated his contract to get MORE guaranteed money.

If Mayo's still playing at a high level, as everyone expects, at the end of the 2015 season, he'll be 30 and counting 9m+ against the cap for the next 2 years.

My HOPE, because I really like the way the guy plays and handles himself, that at that point, the Pats and Mayo will sit down and extend him out a couple of years to lower the cap hits for 2016 and 2017.

Which is why he's going to get restructured, I hope. Cutting Mayo would save the Pats 9m+ in both 2016 and 2017 (he's signed through 2017).

"Restructure" isn't a bad word for a player and doesn't necessarily mean a pay cut. Everyone thinks Brady took a pay cut to "help the team," but the truth is, a 36-year-old (at that time) QB renegotiated his contract to get MORE guaranteed money.

If Mayo's still playing at a high level, as everyone expects, at the end of the 2015 season, he'll be 30 and counting 9m+ against the cap for the next 2 years.

My HOPE, because I really like the way the guy plays and handles himself, that at that point, the Pats and Mayo will sit down and extend him out a couple of years to lower the cap hits for 2016 and 2017.

If I had to guess they would extend Mayo after the 2014 season; at that point, they will resign him to a contract that totals five years and convert about $8M-$10M of his salary remaining on the existing contract (2015, 2016, and 2017) to a signing bonus. This will make his cap number more manageable.

On the other hand, LB is not a position where we have to worry that a decline is coming in the moment when they turn 30, like RBs or WRs. So I fully expect Mayo to continue to play in a high level, thus making his contract worth.

But as someone said, i could see the Pats extending his deal and turning a bit of his cap into guaranted money

On the other hand, LB is not a position where we have to worry that a decline is coming in the moment when they turn 30, like RBs or WRs. So I fully expect Mayo to continue to play in a high level, thus making his contract worth.

But as someone said, i could see the Pats extending his deal and turning a bit of his cap into guaranted money

I agree, especially in Mayo’s case, I actually met him at the Health and Fitness Expo this past spring and I stood right next to him, he is in impeccable shape, I was actually shocked at how little body fat he had (if any).

If you look at his, contract the prorated bonus (specifically the prorated bonus part).
- 2014-$3,600,000
- 2015-$3,600,000
- 2016-$2,400,000
- 2017-$0

What I would do is have him play through 2014 and then convert $12M of his salary to a signing bonus as part of a new 5-year deal. Lower his base salaries to –
- 2015-$2,250,000
- 2016-$3,250,000
- 2017-$4,750,000

Making his prorated bonuses –
- 2015-$6,000,000
- 2016-$4,800,000
- 2017-$2,400,000
- 2018-$2,400,000
- 2019-$2,400,000

Including his LTBE bonuses his new cap figure would be –
- 2015-$8,687,500
- 2016-$8,487,500
- 2017-$7,587,500

From there you would want to determine his salary if you just kept him at his same APY which is around $7.2M you would make his base the same for 2018 and 2019 as I did in 2017 ($4,750,000). Those are very manageable cap numbers in my opinion for a player of Mayo’s level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes