PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Evaluating the offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying Bussey is our savior or anything, but what was the story with him this past pre-season. I seem to remember he had a hard time getting into preseason games. Injured for most of camp?

His college coach gave him rave reviews.

And someone on this board said the "Pats love what they have in Orhnburger". Anyone else hear this? Source?

Seems like the Pats tried to load up on biggies last year, a fair number of which where 4th rounders and on,,,
Bussey had to have his knee cleaned out, he should be competitive in camp. His college O-line coach claimed he was every bit as good as his team mate drafted in the first round by Buffalo - there might be a certain justification for that since he was the LT for a wide open passing offense with a power run component.

Ohrnberger, Wendell, Connolly - I don't think RG is really hurting even without Neal.

The Jest can have him and I spell my name Surly (no "e"). :snob:

Why don't you want him, Mr. Surly Box? You see O'Burger, Wendell & Connelly and don't think that RG is really hurting; I see the same guys and think of 3 piles of poop.

Why don't you want him, Mr. Surly Box? You see O'Burger, Wendell & Connelly and don't think that RG is really hurting; I see the same guys and think of 3 piles of poop.
When I watched Florida's O-line, I usually wound up watching his brother, he was the one who looked and played stronger. Mostly, he never struck me as mobile enough for what NE asks it's O-line to do, that and Center/Guard is pretty weak in this draft class, I'd much rather draft a mid-to-late round Tackle and pull a Mankins with him.

While I am fine with drafting an offensive lineman in the second, I think that we have much more serious needs. I do favor bring in a veteran free agent G/C instead of a draftee to meet the same need.
==========================
I presume that Mankins will play under a tender or extension and that Bodden or another corner will be signed in free agency.
==========================
I think the reality is that the laser focus must be on the front seven of the defense. We all look through the various units from different persepectives. HOWEVER, I cannot understand anyone who would say our major need isn't in our defensive front seven.
======================================================
And yes, I do understand that we need to find some receivers somewhere (WR's and TE's).

You really think Wilfork will not be on this team next year?
When Green was out the Dline did well. Green is not better than Wright and Pryor.

Green is almost certainly better than Wright, if only because Green is better against the run than Wright.

Brace although not a starter yet is a good backup. He has more
to learn but was coming along and did farily well when he was used.

I have absolutely no idea what you are basing this on. Brace played....15? regular season snaps? I'm certainly not giving up on him, but it's absurd to say he is "coming along" and "did fairly well"

Why knock Banta-Cain? Wasn't he one of our Sack leaders?

He's a decent situational pass rusher and great special teams guys. The vast majority of his sacks came against the putrid Bills o-line (5 of his 9.5). At least 1 other was in total garbage time (vs. the Jets). He's not a consistent threat and can be (and routinely was) neutralized by above average lineman. You can do a lot, lot better than Banta-Cain (of whom I'm a fan of, but not as a starter)

Look this
was
a top 10 defense last year and it will be better this year. I am not saying
that there isn't room for improvement

This was also a defense which had an abysmal pass rush and is looking at losing at least one of the limited # of quality starters (Bodden) and maybe a 2nd (Wilfork) and most likely Thomas, who despite falling out of favor was far far better than the current crop of Crable/Ninkovich/Woods.

but the OLINE needs to be a priority.

I don't think anyone would disagree that it needs to be addressed at some point. That said, I'm not entirely convinced that the Light-Mankins-Koppen-Kaczur-Vollmer alignment wouldn't work.

No matter how you fix this defense there will be Offenses it will have problems with. I think it is easier to upgrade this Oline and have
superb pass protection for Brady no matter what defense they face than to fix the defense so it can overpower any offense it meets.

At least at this point and the talent PATs have now.

With that kind of offense PATs can outscore any team even if Pats
Defense isn't number one.

Protect PATs greatest Asset, Tom Brady, should be number one priority!

Again, improving the o-line is important, but the front 7 needs at minimum 2 new starters, that's IF you keep Wilfork and IF you decide Banta-Cain and Guyton are adequate starters. It's a lot more common to find quality o-linemen later in the draft than it is to find starters at DE and LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back