PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eric Rowe vs Jonathan Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Okay, so I'll preface by saying that a) maybe I'm just being a prisoner of the moment based on Sunday's game and b) I do acknowledge that Rowe did just get back into the lineup recently and maybe has to work himself back into game play conditioning and muscle memory. But would anyone necessarily object to keeping Jones in the lineup over Rowe at this point, unless it's match up specific? Rowe didn't have a very good game on Sunday, while Jones has played well (sans a few plays here and there) in his limited action this season. Maybe there hasn't been a big enough sample size, but it just seems like he plays tighter coverage and, maybe because of his ST's prowess, is a superior tackler. I think tackling after the catch (and even in general) is the single biggest reason why Rowe admittedly frustrates me at times. What say you, Patsfans.com? Would you rather see a bit more Jones on the field, even at the expense of Rowe's PT? This isn't a suggestion, so much as me just being interested to see what the consensus would be . . .

Okay, so I'll preface by saying that a) maybe I'm just being a prisoner of the moment based on Sunday's game and b) I do acknowledge that Rowe did just get back into the lineup recently and maybe has to work himself back into game play conditioning and muscle memory. But would anyone necessarily object to keeping Jones in the lineup over Rowe at this point, unless it's match up specific? Rowe didn't have a very good game on Sunday, while Jones has played well (sans a few plays here and there) in his limited action this season. Maybe there hasn't been a big enough sample size, but it just seems like he plays tighter coverage and, maybe because of his ST's prowess, is a superior tackler. I think tackling after the catch (and even in general) is the single biggest reason why Rowe admittedly frustrates me at times. What say you, Patsfans.com? Would you rather see a bit more Jones on the field, even at the expense of Rowe's PT? This isn't a suggestion, so much as me just being interested to see what the consensus would be . . .

Rowe won the game on Sunday, so...

Up until his injury, Rowe was solid.

I didn't get a good look at the 69 yard play, did Rowe get illegally picked on the play? Regardless, he showed a tremendous amount of heart, smarts and athleticism after that huge play to make a huge play of his own on the game clinching interception.

In any event, I trust Bill and Matt to put the best personnel out there every week. It is easy to be super critical of what we may perceive as mistakes or poor play, but we just don't have enough information watching at home to decide.

I'm very happy we have such depth at the position :)

I'd say it's a good situaiton to be in to have both on the roster and active on gamedays. It gives you a lot of flexability in matching up against the opponents WR's. So for me its about matchups. And for Rowe to play his second (?) game after coming back from a nagging groin injury aginst one of the best offensive teams in football isn't an easy task.

I'm happy to have 2 young cb backups who are good. The fact that one is really fast and the other one tall makes me extra happy. They're backups for Pete sake.

I'd say it's a good situaiton to be in to have both on the roster and active on gamedays. It gives you a lot of flexability in matching up against the opponents WR's. So for me its about matchups. And for Rowe to play his second (?) game after coming back from a nagging groin injury aginst one of the best offensive teams in football isn't an easy task.

I should have read your post.

Up until his injury, Rowe was solid.

I didn't get a good look at the 69 yard play, did Rowe get illegally picked on the play? Regardless, he showed a tremendous amount of heart, smarts and athleticism after that huge play to make a huge play of his own on the game clinching interception.

In any event, I trust Bill and Matt to put the best personnel out there every week. It is easy to be super critical of what we may perceive as mistakes or poor play, but we just don't have enough information watching at home to decide.

I'm very happy we have such depth at the position :)
Well he had to run around an offesive player that stood in his way while he was trailing Schuster. There was no contact between the players, so i don't know if this would have been an OPI.

Well he had to run around an offesive player that stood in his way while he was trailing Schuster. There was no contact between the players, so i don't know if this would have been an OPI.
I don't know if Rowe got picked, there's no clear shot of it.

Gilmore was absolutely picked on the play. Bryant straight up blocked him 5 yards upfield.

Very fair . . . I alluded to your second point in my initial post. Again, I just wanted to see what the general feeling would be. But I definitely agree here.

I know injuries are never an excuse, but coming back from a groin injury may cause some hesitation... might be only mental, but the fear of tearing it again can be worrisome.

Prior to the injury was impressed by his play.

Did I hallucinate or were there times when Rowe was covering the slot? I figured it must have been a hallucination because never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that this team would ever set Rowe up to fail like that.

Did I hallucinate or were there times when Rowe was covering the slot? I figured it must have been a hallucination because never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that this team would ever set Rowe up to fail like that.

Thats what @Bruins29 (?) claimed in the post game thread. That he has been a lot in the slot which to me is.. well lets call it less than ideal.

Thats what @Bruins29 (?) claimed in the post game thread. That he has been a lot in the slot which to me is.. well lets call it less than ideal.

Yeah, that's a terrible misuse of his strengths. At the beginning of the season, I wanted to see Gilmore and Rowe on the outside with Butler lining up in the slot a lot of times. I'd also prefer Gilmore and Butler on the outside with Jones/Bademosi at nickel over Rowe. Rowe's skillset translates horribly at nickel corner. I'd have to believe the Steelers schemed to get him into that position. I don't believe the coaching staff would actually be stupid enough to line him up there.

Between hurting Brown and the last play, not sure how you can say anyone but Rowe was game MVP.

Because Rowe had a pretty bad game prior to the game-winner. So he only saved himself from being on of the goats on defense.

ok for those saying Rowe had a bad game, lets see a list of plays where thats the case? back up your claims, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes