PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman retirement. Statement video:

As a fan, it's not often you are truly thankful for a pro athlete's performance on the field bringing enjoyment to one's life. Tom, Bird, Bourque, Tim Thomas in 2011, Patrice, Papi, Pedro, etc.

There is no doubt JE11 belongs in that company.

Thanks, JE11. You undoubtedly made being a NEP Fan more fun.

I knew there was more to the story than “cut”.
It’s hard not to like JE. His effort and his production in the most vital times in the biggest games. Screw gaudy statistics. That is the guy I prefer : when we need you.

I said this in the other thread but Jules retires as the greatest receiver in Patriots history. Instrumental in many big games, playoffs, Super Bowls. You name it he's done it.

Rest up and heal that body Jules. Hall of Fame player in my eyes.

I knew there was more to the story than “cut”.
It’s hard not to like JE. His effort and his production in the most vital times in the biggest games. Screw gaudy statistics. That is the guy I prefer : when we need you.
The cut can potentially get him more money than if he had just retired.

Last edited:
I said this in the other thread but Jules retires as the greatest receiver in Patriots history. Instrumental in many big games, playoffs, Super Bowls. You name it he's done it.

Rest up and heal that body Jules. Hall of Fame player in my eyes.
Read Bill's statement. Not many players have gotten a statement like this one:

“By any measure of what constitutes an elite NFL career – wins, championships, production – Julian has it all. Few players can match Julian’s achievements, period, but considering his professional trajectory and longevity, the group is even more select. It is historic. This is a tribute to his legendary competitiveness, mental and physical toughness and will to excel. Day in and day out, Julian was always the same: all out. Then, in the biggest games and moments, with championships at stake, he reached even greater heights and delivered some of his best, most thrilling performances. For all Julian did for our team, what I may appreciate the most is he was the quintessential throwback player. He could, and did, do everything – catch, run, throw, block, return, cover and tackle – all with an edge and attitude that would not allow him to fail under any circumstance. Julian Edelman is the ultimate competitor and it was a privilege to coach him.”

“By any measure of what constitutes an elite NFL career – wins, championships, production – Julian has it all. Few players can match Julian’s achievements, period, but considering his professional trajectory and longevity, the group is even more select. It is historic. This is a tribute to his legendary competitiveness, mental and physical toughness and will to excel. Day in and day out, Julian was always the same: all out. Then, in the biggest games and moments, with championships at stake, he reached even greater heights and delivered some of his best, most thrilling performances. For all Julian did for our team, what I may appreciate the most is he was the quintessential throwback player. He could, and did, do everything – catch, run, throw, block, return, cover and tackle – all with an edge and attitude that would not allow him to fail under any circumstance. Julian Edelman is the ultimate competitor and it was a privilege to coach him.”

It will be a TALL TASK trying to replace champions like Jules or Patrick Chung. You're talking about perfect Patriots leaving, they have HUGE shoes to fill....

I'm an original Patriots fan. Well,almost,by 1year: 1961
JE11 is my All-time favorite Patriot. Just ahead of TB12.
Warrior. Mensch.
On and off the field.
Matter of fact, hes my All-time favorite Boston pro athlete. Think about that.
I was at Fenway for Ted Williams last game as a little kid. Cant count all the times at the Old Garden with Russell,Cousy, Hondo,Tommy H., Cowens, Bird,McHale,Chief,DJ,Truth,Orr etc.
Yaz,Radatz, Tony C, Pedro,Pedey etc.
Was at Game 7 of the Impossible Dream 1967 Sox.
Gino,Antwine, Jim Nance, Earthquake,Larry E., Nick B, Stanley Steamer,Grogan, Hannah, Coates,Tippett,
TB12, Troy Brown, Tedy, Willie Mcg.,Ty Law etc
But Jules is my favorite. Pure class.
A great heart. The way he handled Anti-semitism in other nfl players was awesome. He was kind and understanding and as a result left a huge imprint in some of those guys.
Funny. Fiery,Tough.Kind.Compassionate.
Extremely talented. Entertaining.
He is/was all of those.
I am so thankful I got to watch this dude.
I dont idolize athletes- or anyone else for that matter. We're all equal and all people.
This is something Edelman also gets. A lot of wealthy atheletes,entertainers,etc dont.
But I would hold him up to both my son and my daughter as a role model.

My reaction to this (esp. the first three sentences): whatever anybody else thinks, Belichick at least believes Edelman deserves a spot in Canton.

My reaction to this (esp. the first three sentences): whatever anybody else thinks, Belichick at least believes Edelman deserves a spot in Canton.

Imo, he does belong in Canton. He was a key player in multiple championship teams. Chain mover. Clutch. Tough as nails. Led by example is too weak a statement for him rather it should be he's the rare guy who's example inspired those around to put it all out there. There was no quit in that kid. Unfortunately they can't measure most of that and the old curmudgeons on the HOF, who couldn't figure out Seymour's value, will miss out on another worthy recipient. Jules is the definition of a football player.

Imo, he does belong in Canton. He was a key player in multiple championship teams. Chain mover. Clutch. Tough as nails. Led by example is too weak a statement for him rather it should be he's the rare guy who's example inspired those around to put it all out there. There was no quit in that kid. Unfortunately they can't measure most of that and the old curmudgeons on the HOF, who couldn't figure out Seymour's value, will miss out on another worthy recipient. Jules is the definition of a football player.
Its too hard for receivers. Even all time greats had trouble getting in, some took years and years. Just a lot of players at that position and yeah, I would take him over most all of them in a big game or with a play on the line, but I just can't see it in our lifetime.

Its too hard for receivers. Even all time greats had trouble getting in, some took years and years. Just a lot of players at that position and yeah, I would take him over most all of them in a big game or with a play on the line, but I just can't see it in our lifetime.

Who did they throw to on third and ten? Edelman.

One day I will retire like this. Very classy, complimentary. Even the selected audio were all not about him. It is amazing how I visualized the moments from just the audio.

I can't say anything to what he said and what you guys said. He is hands-down my favorite Patriot ever. He brought it every down and was a key piece in a lot of glorious outcomes. There are those who were more key... not TOO many... but all in all, he's my favorite. Every facet I ever saw of him had class stamped all over it. "This one goes to 11" no longer. Good luck with whatever comes next Jules & here's hoping that what he's got left is just not pro-athlete level... not a painful post-football life , as too often happens.

I think Edelman belongs in the Hall of Fame. Just too many big moments and plays and games to ignore. When the history of the NFL is told and they look at the 2010’s, who are they gonna talk about? A guy with a bunch of catches like Julio Jones or a guy who was in the middle of the biggest games and contributed some of the biggest plays of the decade. His stats are very good, maybe not all time good, but his playoffs were well above anyone else other than Rice.

quite sad to wake up with such news, feels like it was just yesterday when he was drafted, great warrior on the field love his attitude and love the player, all time great

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back