PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early guess: who's after O'Connell on the depth chart?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who's next after O'Connell on the depth chart?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's safe to pencil in O'Connell at #2. So, who will be after him?

• Matt Gutierrez: he has two seasons in the system, but did get cut last fall, so I wouldn't call him a lock by any means
  • Brian Hoyer: The Pats liked him, he likes the Pats—but why didn't they just draft him?
  • Julian Edelman: if they decide they want to save the "WildPat" for Q4, perhaps? [OK, so this isn't likely, but it's still technically a possibility.]
  • A vet not currently on the roster
  • Nick Caserio: Apparently, he's still got it. And it would be funny. :)

I think Hoyer & Edelman, though Edelman won't be listed as a QB..;)

Bye Bye Matt, he would have been gone ;ast year if not for the TB injury.

What makes you think they won't carry four?

No option for Favre? ;)

I couldn't fit "A vet not currently on the roster whose signing would probably cause me to throw my remote through my television" in the box. ;)

I'm not excluding that possibility (although I see it as remote); I'm just asking who's third.

BTW—speaking of Edelman, here's something from his draft profile:

As senior at Woodside in 2004, led the Wildcats to a 13-0 record and Central Coast Section championship and was named first-team all-league and all-county … totaled 2,237 passing yards and 29 touchdowns in high school career and also rushed for 964 yards and 13 TDs.

I guess we can't dismiss the Wildcat option after all. ;):eek:

Personally, I'd have Gutz as the back up to TFB.

Personally, I'd have Gutz as the back up to TFB.

Second backup, I hope you mean. . . . if BB had faith in Gutz, he would have been the #2 QB, not the #3.

Second backup, I hope you mean. . . . if BB had faith in Gutz, he would have been the #2 QB, not the #3.

It's much easier to cut a UDFA though, rather than a third round pick.

I think the fact he keeps being brought back speaks more about what BB sees in him, than him being repeatedly cut does.

That's not to say BB does rate him higher though. Personally I'd rather see the third year guy back up the QB than the second year guy

It's much easier to cut a UDFA though, rather than a third round pick.

I think the fact he keeps being brought back speaks more about what BB sees in him, than him being repeatedly cut does.

That's not to say BB does rate him higher though. Personally I'd rather see the third year guy back up the QB than the second year guy

But that's my point. Last year Gutierrez was the designated emergency QB, and O'Connell was Cassel's primary backup.

But that's my point. Last year Gutierrez was the designated emergency QB, and O'Connell was Cassel's primary backup.

I think that was more a function of circumstance than anything though. Had Cassel struggled that might have changed. I think O'Connell will have to earn it this year by showing the requisite development within the system and not just talent, and Hoyer will have to show something to knock Gutierrez off the roster just by virtue of his experience in the system. Unless he succombs to the pressure of the numbers again, which I think was his downfall last year. He knew O'Connell wasn't headed for the PS by virtue of his 3rd round selection. So Gutierrez was essentially competing against Cassel who was getting the lions share of snaps behind Brady. And he tried too hard to impress the staff by making plays (and mistakes) rather than just running the system.

Hoyer could easily land on the PS. And that would be the ideal outcome from a Patriots standpoint. Particularly since the guy who helped develop Brady and Cassel (and O'Connell and Gutierrez) has moved on and a new first year QB coach is doubling as a first year defacto OC. Been a while since we were able to select a developmental QB and just get him to the PS so we could essentially carry 4...

I voted for Hoyer. I'd like to see him make the cut, plus my doctor the other night at the hospital was a Dr. Hoyer LOL

I don't think you carry four when neither three or four is a particularly

good quarterback.

Hoyer. Gutierrez seemed to regress last year. Hoyer was a two

year starter. He had a real solid year as a junior. His stats were

not as good as a senior but his supporting cast was not very good.

His receivers dropped 73 passes.

Hoyer has a chance at beating out Gutierrez if he keeps playing solid. Hmm.

I can see them taking the chance and not keep either Hoyer and Gut and just go with Edelman as the third QB with Hoyer coming back as a practice squad member.

I have nothing against Gut but I don't see him fitting into the system anymore and don't see the need to keep him on the practice squad if he is still eligible.

I can see them taking the chance and not keep either Hoyer and Gut and just go with Edelman as the third QB with Hoyer coming back as a practice squad member.

The problem with that is that you can't use Edelman until the fourth quarter unless you carry him on the 45-man roster, which sort of negates the purpose of the emergency QB.

Also, the Patriots don't seem to see him as a full-time QB.

The problem with that is that you can't use Edelman until the fourth quarter unless you carry him on the 45-man roster, which sort of negates the purpose of the emergency QB.

Also, the Patriots don't seem to see him as a full-time QB.

Not quite for the emergency quarterback: "After declaring its 45-man roster one hour before gametime, a team can designate a 46th player as its emergency quarterback. The emergency quarterback can enter the game if the first two are hurt. The first two quarterbacks cannot enter the game again once the emergency quarterback is inserted."

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19910523&slug=1284967

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick