PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Brees Final Season this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amfootball

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Looks like Sean Payton let it slip that this is Drew's last season, Is this Drew Brees' "final season"? - ProFootballTalk

Not surprisingly, I am sure they want the farewell tour so verbal bouquets can be thrown at each and every game. That is assuming we even have football.

I said this in the other thread this was brought up, so I'll say it again. I think there's a reasonable chance Payton just wasn't thinking too hard when he said it. Could have misremembered the contract length, could have remembered it correctly but what came out of his mouth wasn't what was in his head.

I just don't see why this would override the enormous amount of guaranteed 2021 money Brees literally just signed on for.

I said this in the other thread this was brought up, so I'll say it again. I think there's a reasonable chance Payton just wasn't thinking too hard when he said it. Could have misremembered the contract length, could have remembered it correctly but what came out of his mouth wasn't what was in his head.

I just don't see why this would override the enormous amount of guaranteed 2021 money Brees literally just signed on for.
No sure but Payton has been touting Taysom as the Saints starter beginning next year so I don't think it was a verbal misstep. Perhaps the second year was just to spread out the cap hit ...

No sure but Payton has been touting Taysom as the Saints starter beginning next year so I don't think it was a verbal misstep. Perhaps the second year was just to spread out the cap hit ...

I guess it wouldn't be unlike the Saints to take out a mortgage on their salary cap.

I know Payton loves Hill as a QB (or at least wants other teams to give up a 1st round pick for him) but I think it's kind of silly to read into something he said in a video call to the media with airpods in as proof something is going to happen. The stakes were low and he probably didn't stay up all night writing/rehearsing what he'll say.

I guess it wouldn't be unlike the Saints to take out a mortgage on their salary cap.

I know Payton loves Hill as a QB (or at least wants other teams to give up a 1st round pick for him) but I think it's kind of silly to read into something he said in a video call to the media with airpods in as proof something is going to happen. The stakes were low and he probably didn't stay up all night writing/rehearsing what he'll say.
Sure but he has also not corrected it and neither has Drew. I would think if it was a slip up, it would have been corrected by now by him or Drew as it has been all over the place.

Greatest irrelevant player in the league.

Brett Favre's last season too. o_O

Greatest irrelevant player in the league.
I'm expecting another Brees underperformance in the playoffs. Would be funny if it's in the first game though because that would make his playoff record 8-9 if he goes one and done

... Could have been on one?

He was on Twitter drawing up plays so it's possible he was feeling nice from the time at home and like you said just let it slip?

Brees is definitely there though in terms of time. It's year by year.

What I can't wrap my head around is any real HC trotting Hill out as QB?

I can't believe that. Not with the team they have, that's ready to win now.

I think the Saints would be left with a larger cap hit if Brees signed a one year deal and retired next offseason. Thus the reason they gave him two. It was something like that.

Brees has been very unimpressive in the postseason lately.

2017: Throws a few picks. Falls behind 17-0. (Thus why he threw for 5k yards a few times. Always playing catchup. Some empty stats). They are leading late. He can't get one yard. They kick a fg. And we all know what happened a few plays later.

2018: Unimpressive in the Eagles game. I'm sorry but I don't care you came back from a 14-0 lead. You should've waxed that team. And in the end you should've lost sans Jeffery drop.

2018: Rams. Yes you got screwd on the call. But how many times did this guy/team do nothing in the red zone? Wasted drive after wasted drive. And couldn't pick up key yards to get the 1st down that would've effectively ended the game. Then he throws a pick in OT. What did Tom Brady do in OT a few hours later? Those two games illustrated the differences between the two guys.

2019: Once again fell down big early. A consistent theme of this guy's postseason career. Unable to get the winning TD in the waning moments of regulation.

This guy will lit up the stage in October on ESPN. But nobody remembers those games. That said, he's been a great QB. HOFer. But I hope he is never mentioned as being on the same level as Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes