PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

Rick Spielman was on the committee for the Commanders that led to the hiring of Peters and Quinn. He has stated Maye is going before Daniels.
Spielman text from Maye's pro day: “You’re crazy if you think Jayden is going before Drake.”"
So rumor that Adam Peters was enamored with Drake Maye at the combine.
Now Spielman, who worked for the Commanders this off season says they are taking Drake Maye.
Have seen nothing stating the Commanders prefer Daniels.
I'm going to wager some money on Maye to the Commanders.

Nothing changes as much AFTER the college season is over than QB evaluations. I have read where Maye was rated by some gurus as having the best arm of the three AND the worst, depending on who you read. McCarthy has gone from being a noodle arm, to a rifleman based on a proday.

The mis, and disinformation is rampant. AND you can find a different narrative that suits your ever changing needs every day of the week.
No doubt
Depending on how you word your google question.
You get total ends of the spectrum answers

Rick Spielman was on the committee for the Commanders that led to the hiring of Peters and Quinn. He has stated Maye is going before Daniels.
Spielman text from Maye's pro day: “You’re crazy if you think Jayden is going before Drake.”"
Now Spielman, who worked for the Commanders this off season says they are taking Drake Maye.
I seen that article but Spielman has not been there through the whole draft process
They could take Maye and they acted overly excited at Maye’s Pro day
This is the season for red herrings. Seems funny that the Commanders have been so secretive up to this point but are doing cartwheels at a Pro Day
Remember, Caleb most likely is going first overall. The Commanders still have to worry about them changing their mind and taking their preferred choice. With the assumption that they do not want Caleb,
The only team that can do cartwheels at a Pro Day is the Bears. When a team not in total control of the guy they want is chanting “Money, Money, Money at a Pro Day. They could have had to many martini’s at lunch. Most likely a smoke screen

I seen that article but Spielman has not been there through the whole draft process
They could take Maye and they acted overly excited at Maye’s Pro day
This is the season for red herrings. Seems funny that the Commanders have been so secretive up to this point but are doing cartwheels at a Pro Day
Remember, Caleb most likely is going first overall. The Commanders still have to worry about them changing their mind and taking their preferred choice. With the assumption that they do not want Caleb,
The only team that can do cartwheels at a Pro Day is the Bears. When a team not in total control of the guy they want is chanting “Money, Money, Money at a Pro Day. They could have had to many martini’s at lunch. Most likely a smoke screen
Maybe but he does not work for Commanders but was at the pro day and has a relationship with them so if he's strongly out there with Maye #2 I believe he thinks that's what is happening and think he probably has a better feel for Washington of anyone not inside.
The quote "Crazy if you think Daniels before Maye" was from a private text, which was a shared in the interview by the guy interviewing him, he seemed like he was not really wanting to discuss that text. So far everyone actually at the pro days has said Maye had the best one FWIW.
IMO Williams to Chicago is a lock.
Man, the draft seems such a long way away now that pro days are over LOL. Speculate, speculate, speculate..

So to reduce risk you want to trade down where it's riskier?

Yes, but you get multiple picks and not all will be flops; you are sure to hit home runs with one or more of them. If you put all your eggs in one basket, you risk losing them all.

Maybe but he does not work for Commanders but was at the pro day and has a relationship with them so if he's strongly out there with Maye #2 I believe he thinks that's what is happening and think he probably has a better feel for Washington of anyone not inside.
The quote "Crazy if you think Daniels before Maye" was from a private text, which was a shared in the interview by the guy interviewing him, he seemed like he was not really wanting to discuss that text. So far everyone actually at the pro days has said Maye had the best one FWIW.
IMO Williams to Chicago is a lock.
Man, the draft seems such a long way away now that pro days are over LOL. Speculate, speculate, speculate..
I don’t disagree that they may be taking Maye
Strong possibility
Just Red Herring Season
Yes. These last 4 weeks is going to be like the last 4 weeks when you were a kid before Santa was going to come to give you that new high tech Super Blade for your Hockey stick

Pick the quarterback at #3, trading is great if you want to get to 8 wins and build a roster that will never be a contender.

The best roster in the league just lost the Super Bowl because the other team with the average roster has the best QB in the league, a team with pro bowlers all over the field lost to a clearly inferior team at most positions.

If you don't get the QB you're dead, swing for the upside if he busts you'll be right back swinging at the top of the draft anyway.

What's more likely get an elite QB picking outside the top 10 or getting an elite OT and WR picking outside the top 10? It's the latter by a lot.

Pick the quarterback at #3, trading is great if you want to get to 8 wins and build a roster that will never be a contender.

The best roster in the league just lost the Super Bowl because the other team with the average roster has the best QB in the league, a team with pro bowlers all over the field lost to a clearly inferior team at most positions.

If you don't get the QB you're dead, swing for the upside if he busts you'll be right back swinging at the top of the draft anyway.

What's more likely get an elite QB picking outside the top 10 or getting an elite OT and WR picking outside the top 10? It's the latter by a lot.

Or...pick the QB at 3, get Zack Wilson and get 4 wins and set the franchise back 5 years. Can you imagine what another 4 win season would do to this team? It would rip it apart. All the coaches and GM types would be fired and the team would have to start from scratch with a new coach and coordinators and GM. Then pick another QB at 3 and get another flop. It is the Jets model.

Too risky to pick a QB at 3.

Better to build the team incrementally by trading back....but, of course, this will not happen since Kraft, being a typical fan type, will force the taking of a QB at 3.

Last edited:
Nothing changes as much AFTER the college season is over than QB evaluations. I have read where Maye was rated by some gurus as having the best arm of the three AND the worst, depending on who you read. McCarthy has gone from being a noodle arm, to a rifleman based on a proday.

The mis, and disinformation is rampant. AND you can find a different narrative that suits your ever changing needs every day of the week.
The thing about McCarthy is that he actually participated in the speed throwing measurements at the Combine, and that's when the script flipped on him. Throwing 61mph is no joke (just 1mph slower than Milton) and that's concrete data. We have no such measurements for MayJayCay except for estimating air yards. I currently have no evidence that May and Jay are better than JAGs in that regard having watched a slew of games, highlights, and throwing sessions. Cay (of whom I'm not a big fan) has evidence from games that he can launch it.

Imho, I think the tell is the Howell trade. No way they could have the 2 best friends in there battling it out for the starting position.

Watched Milton here at UT. Ridiculous cannon for an arm….not accurate at all. At ALL
Cade McNamara beat him out and was dropped to third string before transferring. Enough said.

Imho, I think the tell is the Howell trade. No way they could have the 2 best friends in there battling it out for the starting position.
I think that’s a very strong possibility.
Or they just wanted to move on from him because they know eh wouldn’t be the type to sit on a bench.

Mac Jones was intense and dedicated to hard work

When he returned for his second year he was asked about the work he put in over the offseason, and his response was that he had cut down on ice cream. If he ever put in the work it didn’t show up.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back