PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

JuJu Smith-Shuster Sucks-Sucks.

Reagor & BoneyT aren’t worth even mentioning.

And who’s Gibson?

EDIT-EDIT-EDIT: Sorry for the brainfart regarding Antonio Gibson. I think of him more as a RB than a WR, so I just didn’t recognize him among the WRs…
TARGETS FOR A BETTER QB THAN IN 2023

WR Bourne, Douglas, Osborne
TE. Henry, Hooper
WR. Gibson
Competitors for #4 WR. Thornton, Reagor, Shuster
====================
We will draft a WRor two, and continue to try to trade for a #1 WR.

I don’t think that this is terrible in the second week of free agency.

Next years QB class sucks, and they won’t find a QB in free agency, so they can pass on the QB, just as long as everyone is fine with them losing for the next 3-4 years.
And if they pick a qb who sucks, they will be bad for the next 3 years and also have missed out on the chance to add lots of draft picks.

And if they pick a qb who sucks, they will be bad for the next 3 years and also have missed out on the chance to add lots of draft picks.
Their best shot at getting a QB who doesn’t suck is taking one with a high first round pick, just like the actual contenders in the AFC have done. You can have all pro receivers, but if you don’t have a QB then you still suck. Example, Cincinnati, who went to the Super Bowl and have been a contender since Burrow got there - but who couldn’t make the playoffs when he got hurt. Buffalo, who has dominated the AFCE now that they have a really good QB. K.C., who had one of the worst, if not the worst receiving units in football this season - but won a 2nd Super Bowl in a row, because they have the best QB in football.

If the Patriots don’t like the quarterbacks at the top of the Draft they should trade out for 3 first round picks - but if they like them, but trade out for the picks - then they will screw themselves for years. And to this point not one person has been able to tell us where they get their franchise QB if not at the top of the draft - because once you get to the second half of the first round the odds of getting one go down dramatically. Next year’s QB class sucks, and they don’t come available in free agency. So by all means go ahead and pass up the franchise QB- but don’t cry about them losing every year after they do so, because you don’t win in the NFL without a really good quarterback.

Washington is taking Maye.

Could be, but right now most believe they will go Daniels because of the offense Kingsbury runs. I’ll take any one of the top 3, and even McCarthy. After that we will just have to wait for them to suck as bad as they did this year for another shot at a franchise quarterback, or give up 3 first round picks to trade up for one, because it’s all dogshit after that.

Moot point Was is taking Maye.

You keep saying that, but never give any reason as to why. Daniels is a better fit for the offense Washington is going to run, which is why most have Daniels going there. So what is your reasoning?

I have an order of:
Maye, Williams, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix, Travis, with no other QB being a potential NFL starter so that's it for draftable QB's.

NFL scouts seem to focus on the wrong things with QB's. Can they make "NFL throws" is so overrated.
PFF showed that when NFL QB's throw to open windows (at least a yard of separation) :
Open Window: EPA: .35 Completion %: 77.9%, YAC 5.4
Tight Window: EPA Negative .41, Completion % 24.5%, YAC: 2.3

Highest Pass attempts to open windows:
#1: Chiefs: 88.7%
All 4 AFC and NFC finalists were over 84% and in top 8 in league.

What you need is a QB that can process quickly and be accurate to open guys. If you stink at getting guys open you need to get better receivers or a better scheme. Chiefs receivers were not great but Reid was great at getting them open, Mahomes was great at buying extra time until they came open and Mahomes had the accuracy and arm strength to get the ball there.

Guys like Purdy process really well, and are very accurate. The issue is the arm strength removes some throws to the outside and down the field. Tua gets by because he has Tyreek Hill and his separation numbers are elite, and Tua processes and releases really fast. But also with Tua arm strength limits some throws. This is why Purdy and Tua are top 15 QB's but can never be top 5 QB's.

If a guy has a 1 yard separation 15 yards down field to the sideline form the opposite hash, QB's with limited arm strength can't make that throw. They can make up for it with fast processing, extending pays and accuracy but they do have more limits.

Elite QB traits:
Fast processor, accuracy, arm strength, mobility (in pocket and/or out of pocket).

The #1 trait is their ability to process and get to the open man. Then, can they accurately hit the open man and then can they have the arm strength to hit the open man anywhere on the field.

Scouts should, #1, concentrate on how the QB's go through the reads. How often to they get to the 3rd read, how often do they pick the wrong read first.
Curt Warner does a good job breaking down the routes and where the QB should look. It's exhaustive and time-consuming work but it's pretty easy to see mechanics, see arm strength, check accuracy on film. The most important trait is processing. It's the trait least talked about and hardest to judge. THIS is why QB picks get missed in the draft.

Maye and Williams are pretty close; I like Mayes leadership qualities over Williams, but both should be top 15 NFL QB's as a floor.
I am unsure on Daniels accuracy, he was not very accurate in any year but the last one, but he worked extremely hard at it. He still had some weird short throw misses. McCarthy was accurate on the run and had average accuracy from the pocket.
They all have some questions in terms of their processing. Maye and Williams have all the other needed traits and Maye and Williams, seems to process at an above average, but not elite level.
Jordan Travis is the most underrated QB in the draft. Worth a shot later in the draft.

I have an order of:
Maye, Williams, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix, Travis, with no other QB being a potential NFL starter so that's it for draftable QB's.

NFL scouts seem to focus on the wrong things with QB's. Can they make "NFL throws" is so overrated.
PFF showed that when NFL QB's throw to open windows (at least a yard of separation) :
Open Window: EPA: .35 Completion %: 77.9%, YAC 5.4
Tight Window: EPA Negative .41, Completion % 24.5%, YAC: 2.3

Highest Pass attempts to open windows:
#1: Chiefs: 88.7%
All 4 AFC and NFC finalists were over 84% and in top 8 in league.

What you need is a QB that can process quickly and be accurate to open guys. If you stink at getting guys open you need to get better receivers or a better scheme. Chiefs receivers were not great but Reid was great at getting them open, Mahomes was great at buying extra time until they came open and Mahomes had the accuracy and arm strength to get the ball there.

Guys like Purdy process really well, and are very accurate. The issue is the arm strength removes some throws to the outside and down the field. Tua gets by because he has Tyreek Hill and his separation numbers are elite, and Tua processes and releases really fast. But also with Tua arm strength limits some throws. This is why Purdy and Tua are top 15 QB's but can never be top 5 QB's.

If a guy has a 1 yard separation 15 yards down field to the sideline form the opposite hash, QB's with limited arm strength can't make that throw. They can make up for it with fast processing, extending pays and accuracy but they do have more limits.

Elite QB traits:
Fast processor, accuracy, arm strength, mobility (in pocket and/or out of pocket).

The #1 trait is their ability to process and get to the open man. Then, can they accurately hit the open man and then can they have the arm strength to hit the open man anywhere on the field.

Scouts should, #1, concentrate on how the QB's go through the reads. How often to they get to the 3rd read, how often do they pick the wrong read first.
Curt Warner does a good job breaking down the routes and where the QB should look. It's exhaustive and time-consuming work but it's pretty easy to see mechanics, see arm strength, check accuracy on film. The most important trait is processing. It's the trait least talked about and hardest to judge. THIS is why QB picks get missed in the draft.

Maye and Williams are pretty close; I like Mayes leadership qualities over Williams, but both should be top 15 NFL QB's as a floor.
I am unsure on Daniels accuracy, he was not very accurate in any year but the last one, but he worked extremely hard at it. He still had some weird short throw misses. McCarthy was accurate on the run and had average accuracy from the pocket.
They all have some questions in terms of their processing. Maye and Williams have all the other needed traits and Maye and Williams, seems to process at an above average, but not elite level.
Jordan Travis is the most underrated QB in the draft. Worth a shot later in the draft.
Great post you make your points clearly. I wish my earlier post was as articulate as yours. It also helps that we agree . ;)

All these QBs are physically talented, and I'm sure they ALL say the right things when they interview. The problem in making an analysis is NOT what they are now, but who they will develop into down the road.

Unfortunately that is unknowable. All we can. do is do the you can an hope for the best using all the data you have on hand AT the moment....And a whole lot of luck..

I am all in on Maye and am pleasantly surprised that Washington may pick Daniels over Maye. The widespread “downgrading” rumor may result in good fortune for the Patriots.
If developed properly he could be Josh Allen like and set Pats up for an extended run.
Seems like a good leader as well and he is young.

Last edited:
The more I think about this, the more I agree with the idea of Maye at 3.
Bottom line, you have ~5 WR's on a roster that are meant to rotate and play matchups.
So, if you spend the #3 overall on a good one, that's great, but that's always just 1 of 5 pass-catchers on the field (avg.)

Spending a #3 on a gamble that you'll get the 1 of 5 1st round QB's that will turn into a franchise guy - being the ONE player on the field that HAS to be good at all times - is a better bet.

So go after Maye at 3. If WAS takes him at 2, trade down to 4-10 spots and get the next best option (McCarthy, Nix) plus a sure-thing with the extra pick - LT. You'll get a great chance at a #1 WR with our original 2nd round pick.

(Maye & McCarthy are more sturdy cold-weather players than Daniels & Penix)

Great post you make your points clearly. I wish my earlier post was as articulate as yours. It also helps that we agree . ;)

All these QBs are physically talented, and I'm sure they ALL say the right things when they interview. The problem in making an analysis is NOT what they are now, but who they will develop into down the road.

Unfortunately that is unknowable. All we can. do is do the you can an hope for the best using all the data you have on hand AT the moment....And a whole lot of luck..

Two really good posts. I haven’t payed much attention to Williams, because he’s going to the Bears - but what I’ve heard about both Maye and Daniels both have the right character you want from your QB, and I think both will progress with good coaching. So I feel bad for the one who gets Kliff Kingsbury.

What Mahomes exemplifies is a QB for whom the game moves slower. And when the game is on the line he never panics, and just takes the guy who opens up. Like Brady he has the composure to make comebacks look routine and easy to manage; as KC Seven said Reid designs plays to get receivers open, and Mahomes hits the open receiver time after time. When you get your coaches and WB in sync like that you almost always have a contender.

The more I think about this, the more I agree with the idea of Maye at 3.
Bottom line, you have ~5 WR's on a roster that are meant to rotate and play matchups.
So, if you spend the #3 overall on a good one, that's great, but that's always just 1 of 5 pass-catchers on the field (avg.)

Spending a #3 on a gamble that you'll get the 1 of 5 1st round QB's that will turn into a franchise guy - being the ONE player on the field that HAS to be good at all times - is a better bet.

So go after Maye at 3. If WAS takes him at 2, trade down to 4-10 spots and get the next best option (McCarthy, Nix) plus a sure-thing with the extra pick - LT. You'll get a great chance at a #1 WR with our original 2nd round pick.

(Maye & McCarthy are more sturdy cold-weather players than Daniels & Penix)
What's your source?
Because most nfl guys believe they're taking Daniels
Just curious where you're getting this from
Butler is a Maye guy, factor in there’s a ton of misinformation out there.
If Was is saying Daniel’s it’s Maye.
Reports are Adam Peters loves Maye.
If reports are the Patriots are cold on Maye it means they love him.
I’m telling you at 3 it’s Maye or Mccarhy.
Only way you can be cute with a trade down is if it’s down To 5.
You only do that if you’re absolutely certain Ari and LA are staying put and taking WRs.

I think you can’t be cute you take your QB at 3.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back