PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

They could condition the trade on AZ not trading it, and for that we give them a good deal.

Good thought. If they’re willing to then something better than nothing.

Swap with AZ, they take Harrison and we still get Maye.
And just why would the Cardinals give up draft capitol to move up and draft a guy who will likely fall to them anyway?

And just why would the Cardinals give up draft capitol to move up and draft a guy who will likely fall to them anyway?
We'd have to work it but it's within the realm that Wolf could act interested enough in Harrison to scare AZ. The Cards have more picks than anyone in this draft so it may not be that hard to pry one or two away, or at least work a swap of our 34th to their 27th.

I think it's hilarious that guys who have spent three years whining about Mac Jones crappy mechanics want the Pats to focus on a guy whose mechanics are worse than Mac Jones.
Well hopefully this time the coaching staff gives a **** and teaches him.

Now who could want Maye go slide?

Hmmmmm….

Pats maybe?

Maybe the Giants floating the rumor that they badly want McCarthy and get the Pats to trade down with them, but they really want Maye?

Wolf starts acting like a lot of GM's and lies his ass off in public that Harrison is the best player, that the QB's at the top aren't worthy of top 3, yada yada. That messaging is pretty credible.
There's zero chance of not only that ever happening but also another team actually believing if it did.

My opinion, McCarthy is more of an athlete than a football player. He has a strong arm, but I believe he lacks touch and accuracy, but that’s just my view
Absolutely at this moment in time he does lack touch, but layering passes can be taught. I feel like if he sits for a year or most of the 1st year and learns and practices well with the staff that he can reach a higher ceiling than JD. I feel the same about Maye, that he needs to sit and learn for awhile.

Absolutely at this moment in time he does lack touch, but layering passes can be taught. I feel like if he sits for a year or most of the 1st year and learns and practices well with the staff that he can reach a higher ceiling than JD. I feel the same about Maye, that he needs to sit and learn for awhile.
The age thing is huge IMO as well.

Mayo won’t get blamed if Wolf makes the final decision. He will get blamed if they play sloppy football. One of my biggest criticisms of Belichick’s final years here was his willingness to stand by unit coaches like Cam Achord, when their ST units were playing like ****, despite being loaded up with really good ST players. Mayo can’t allow that to go on, and will need to hold his coaching staff as accountable as he does the players.
I agree that Wolf will have final say
What will be interesting is. Since Wolf will be making such an important and high (#3j pick his first time out of the gates with his name all over that pick. Long term survival demands he get it right
Does he play it safe or go with his instincts at all costs
Playing it safe would be OT or WR
We need a QB and the draft is said to be a good class. I have heard that before and have seen one failure after another.
Reason being most of College ball is a simplistic form of Offense. 1 or 2 reads without any progressions or audibles.
A lot of QB’s look great in College and on film but bust in the Pro’s because their talent does not translate to the Pro’s. Even those that do translate to the Pro’s they also must have the intangibles.
Hopefully Wolf see’s a QB that he will roll the dice on, If he does not truthfully believe he has that guy. Then hopefully he trades down a little and gets roster spots we desperately need filled.
As fans and his survival. Don’t stray from your gut

What will be interesting is. Since Wolf will be making such an important and high (#3j pick his first time out of the gates with his name all over that pick. Long term survival demands he get it right
We need a QB and the draft is said to be a good class. I have heard that before and have seen one failure after another.
Reason being most of College ball is a simplistic form of Offense. 1 or 2 reads without any progressions or audibles.
A lot of QB’s look great in College and on film but bust in the Pro’s because their talent does not translate to the Pro’s. Even those that do translate to the Pro’s they also must have the intangibles.
Hopefully Wolf see’s a QB that he will roll the dice on, If he does not truthfully believe he has that guy. Then hopefully he trades down a little and gets roster spots we desperately need filled.
Playing it safe is to trade down.

I agree. Many here keep pretending that calling for the Patriots to draft the QB at #3 means that they should take the QB at 3 even if they don’t believe in them, and literally no one is saying that. What people are saying is that if they see a franchise caliber QB at 3 they should absolutely take them, and not screw around with trading out or taking another position. A franchise caliber QB is essential to winning Lombardi’s, and it really doesn’t matter how good the rest of your team is if you don’t have one. And in the Patriots case all they have to do is use one first round pick for them , whereas they will almost certainly have to use multiple first round picks to move up for one if they don’t get one with this pick. So the arguments about “ taking a haul” in trade for that pick are completely negated when they would have to turn around and give a haul to go back up and get one in a year or two,

It has been mentioned before that we are really going to lean on our QB whisperers.

If we traded with the Giants so that they could take McCarthy at 3, then one of the big three QBs presumably gets past Arizona, and another desperate team trades up to 5 and the top 4 QBs are gone.

Would the Giants give the Pats enough to make it worthwhile?

I was a proponent and hopeful for a Giants trade, but if that means losing out on the Top 4 QBs, I think we have to stay put at 3 and pick a QB.

Last edited:
McCarthy is absolutely not interchangeable with Daniels. His bet bet is maybe someone takes a chance on him in the last third of the first round. But by that point, we would be in striking distance to trade up. Daniels is legitimately viewed as the third best prospect in the draft and someone who is likely to be taken by anyone who needs a QB after Williams and Maye are gone.

Taking Penix or McCarthy at 8 is nuts. You are basically throwing away the 3rd overall, not getting a high quality player, then overdrafting a QB who shouldn't be drafted that high because you feel like you need a QB all to get maybe an extra second? That insane.

Yeah there are other good WR's, but none are generational prospects that are complete layups. Whatever you net in a trade down isn't getting you something comparable to him at WR or another position later on. Too much of a dumb risk to stockpile assets that will be 50/50 plays anyways.

This team has one strategy that makes sense. Love the QB at 3 and get him or get MHJ and use your second overall to trade up and grab one of the other QB's in the late first.

McCarthy will not fall past the Giants at #6. Not a chance. McCarthy is the only QB in the draft that ran a NFL style offense in college (under Harbaugh), and he did it pretty well for a 20 year old. McCarthy has a chance to be a great NFL QB. He showed, by winning a national title under Harbaugh, that he will not bust. How much more McCarthy grows is in question, but his ability to run a NFL offense is not in question. You are being unrealistic.

Maye and Daniels could bust as neither ran a NFL style offense in college so all projects are guesses. Daniels had great weapons like Mac did, and Maye's stats were worse this past year than the prior year. Maye is younger so he might improve. Daniels is skinny (would not weigh in at the combine - huge red flag) and older so he has less upside.

Now who could want Maye go slide?

Hmmmmm….

Pats maybe?

Maybe the Giants floating the rumor that they badly want McCarthy and get the Pats to trade down with them, but they really want Maye?
Add the report the Patriots would trade down if Daniels is not there at 3, all seems like a smoke screen to make Washington think Pats don't think much of Maye? Maybe?
Seems like overall scouts like Daniels over Maye now but Washington GM likes Maye. Will the GM give into the scouts or take Maye?
The personal workouts are going to go a long way in the Maye/Daniels debate.

McCarthy will not fall past the Giants at #6. Not a chance. McCarthy is the only QB in the draft that ran a NFL style offense in college (under Harbaugh), and he did it pretty well for a 20 year old. McCarthy has a chance to be a great NFL QB. He showed, by winning a national title under Harbaugh, that he will not bust. How much more McCarthy grows is in question, but his ability to run a NFL offense is not in question. You are being unrealistic.

Maye and Daniels could bust as neither ran a NFL style offense in college so all projects are guesses. Daniels had great weapons like Mac did, and Maye's stats were worse this past year than the prior year. Maye is younger so he might improve. Daniels is skinny (would not weigh in at the combine - huge red flag) and older so he has less upside.
Completely agree. McCarthy should be the pick at 3. He has good mobility & drives the ball with pinpoint accuracy & will be lethal in the short passing game. Deep passing with touch will come with time, just like it takes time for a young NBA player to develop the three ball.

McCarthy & Maye (who will take longer to develop and is the riskier pick) will be the top 2 pros out of this draft.

Maye has been working out with Eli and it seems that the Giants are infatuated with both Maye and JJ, I think. I have player comps to Baker as a prospect. AVP has been in several play action offenses, so if he implements that, JJ seems comfortable turning his back to the defense. Maye does not have as much experience turning is back to the defense. I know it sounds like a small thing, but if QBs are not comfortable with it then the Play action is not convincing. Mac is horrible at play action. We are also drafting the QB for 2025, imo. I would be happy with JJ or Maye in that order.

No one knows and that's the problem.

For all the noise, Williams is still #1 and Daniels has moved up, but Maye is probably still considered the #2. For all we know, Chicago might not get what they want for Fields and decide to keep him...then dangle pick one...and for all the noise, I'll bet a bunch of teams would jump there to get Caleb Williams.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back