PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

It only takes one idiot. And there is no shortage of idiots in the NFL. Keep in mind Trey Lance.
So their draft strategy is to bet on stupidity? You can bet on that if you want, I won’t.

Hopefully the Pats are better at playing “chicken” then the other team.

If the Cardinals believe the Pats will take MHJ at 3, which should not be hard to convince, then maybe Arizona is willing to pay “insurance money.”

Ossenfort isn’t an idiot, and you can’t create your draft strategy on the hope someone else will do something stupid. You have to go into a draft with a clear plan not only for the players you want, and where you want to get them, but what to do when the plan goes off base, which is always going to happen, You can’t base that plan on other teams being stupid.

Ossenfort isn’t an idiot, and you can’t create your draft strategy on the hope someone else will do something stupid. You have to go into a draft with a clear plan not only for the players you want, and where you want to get them, but what to do when the plan goes off base, which is always going to happen, You can’t base that plan on other teams being stupid.
Then the Pats can take the generational player in MHJ themselves and get the QB later.

The Pats can clearly make a case for MHJ, and if MHJ means enough to Arizona, then they will step up. Is it a crazy idea that the Pats would take MJH?

He may be the best player in the draft.

I am not locked into QB at 3 and I hope the Pat’s aren’t either.

Your draft strategy also needs to be flexible. You can’t force the draft, you play the draft as it develops.

Unless you have the #1 pick, the draft is not entirely under your control.

Then the Pats can take the generational player in MHJ themselves and get the QB later.

The Pats can clearly make a case for MHJ, and if MHJ means enough to Arizona, then they will step up. Is it a crazy idea that the Pats would take MJH?

He may be the best player in the draft.

I am not locked into QB at 3 and I hope the Pat’s aren’t either.

Your draft strategy also needs to be flexible. You can’t force the draft, you play the draft as it develops.

Unless you have the #1 pick, the draft is not entirely under your control.

Sure, just get say Trevor Simien, or maybe Jared Stidham. . That will be great. They might be able to stay in the playoff race until Thanksgiving. Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

They should build around Harrison. Just look at all the success the Lions had building around generational Calvin Johnson, or the Vikings around Randy Moss, or the Texans around Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins. Rings and Lombardi’s all over the place. . Nothing works better than building a team around a receiver. Great idea.

Last edited:
Felger & Mazz we’re talking about someone’s mock draft today that had McCarthy going #3 overall

What a nightmare pick that would be
Talk about a Jordan Richards reach

I am fine with Maye or MHJ at #3 or trade back
The idea of selecting JJM at #3 sends chills down my spine. If he turns into something really good, great for the team that takes him, I just hope it’s not us.

Sure, just get say Trevor Simien, or maybe Jared Stidham. . That will be great. They might be able to stay in the playoff race until Thanksgiving. Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

They should build around Harrison. Just look at all the success the Lions had building around generational Calvin Johnson, or the Vikings around Randy Moss, or the Texans around Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins. Rings and Lombardi’s all over the place. . Nothing works better than building a team around a receiver. Great idea.
Building around Jamarcus Russell or Akili Smith is a much better idea.

MHJ can play. If he can’t, then a whole lot of scouts will be shocked.

There is not nearly a consensus on the QBs this year.

Maybe a trade down for more assets, for a team which needs more than a QB, is a better idea.

Good luck with that. I’m sure Mac Jones will lead you to the Lombardi.

Maybe a trade down for more assets, for a team which needs more than a QB, is a better idea.

Interesting. I cited two first ballot Hall of Fame WR’s who never won a ring to make my point that you don’t win by building around a receiver, yet you had to go to two of the all time biggest busts at QB to try and suggest you don’t build around a high pick QB. That’s called grasping at straws, which people do when their argument is as weak as it gets.

Felger & Mazz we’re talking about someone’s mock draft today that had McCarthy going #3 overall
What a nightmare pick that would be
Talk about a Jordan Richards reach

I am fine with Maye or MHJ at #3 or trade back
What’s there not to like about McCarthy? He seems to have all the tools with good arm strength, decent mobility and all the intangibles. He’s also 3 years younger than Daniels.

If Maye isn’t there at 3, I’d be fine with McCarthy.

I think Maye would be my top choice, but the latest rumors are that Daniels will fall to us at 3. I believe it was Orlovsky that said Maye's 22 tape is better than 23 and in 23 NC instituted a different offense that had issues, not just the fault of Maye for some of the mistakes he was making. His 22 tape is more indicative of the QB he can be.

Orlovsky says Maye needs time to sit and work on his footwork which is necessary to succeed in the NFL. All of the good QBs have been able to improve their footwork in the NFL including, Josh Allen, Lamar, Mahomes.

You win Gr8test. You are right, the Patriots should never draft a Quarterback, because ….JaMarcus Russell. One minute Jayden Daniels is 210, the next minute he’s 385 lbs. They just can’t take a chance like that. So what if their competitors have Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen, the Patriots can just put Marvin Harrison Jr. out wide and have Rhamondre Stevenson throw to him. Thanks for your cutting edge contributions, I’m guessing every team will go to your no quarterbacks model just as soon as they see how well it’s working in New England.

Lazar’s post Combine Mock is the best outline of the way the Patriots should go about this draft imo. He goes with Maye at 3, which is a great pick regardless of any flaws he has, because he has franchise QB upside, and that’s all you can ask for as there are no sure things in the draft. Then he goes with different players than I might go with, but that’s hard to judge because it doesn’t show who is gone when they are picking. However he does exactly what I would like to see them do for positions, as he goes OT at 34, then double dips at WR in rounds 3 &4, and then goes back to OT in round 5. Given their needs, and the difficulty of addressing QB, OT, and WR in free agency this mock is completely focused on loading up with young players on offense, and allows them to spend on the best free agents, instead of overpaying for need.

Lazar’s post Combine Mock is the best outline of the way the Patriots should go about this draft imo. He goes with Maye at 3, which is a great pick regardless of any flaws he has, because he has franchise QB upside, and that’s all you can ask for as there are no sure things in the draft. Then he goes with different players than I might go with, but that’s hard to judge because it doesn’t show who is gone when they are picking. However he does exactly what I would like to see them do for positions, as he goes OT at 34, then double dips at WR in rounds 3 &4, and then goes back to OT in round 5. Given their needs, and the difficulty of addressing QB, OT, and WR in free agency this mock is completely focused on loading up with young players on offense, and allows them to spend on the best free agents, instead of overpaying for need.
I'm not against moving 34 if it gets us another Day 2 pick in the Second or Third Rounds this is shaping up to be a nice Offensive Draft also Ivan we need a TE if H Henry is not in our future.

JJ McCarthy @ 3 ruins Draft Day for me he's not a Top 10 Talent in this Draft. IF that's the case just Draft Harrison Jr @3 he's worth it.

I think McCarthy at 3 is a big risk, but I always come back to the same question, where do you get your franchise QB if you pass on the ones with that upside at 3? It won’t be free agency or a trade, it won’t be a cap cut, which leaves you going back into the following draft’s in the situation where you will most likely have to give up multiple first round picks to take your chances with that year’s top QB’s. Which begs the question- is it better to take the chance with that 3 pick, or have to give up 2-3 first round picks to take a similar chance a year or two from now.

So while I agree that Harrison is a higher rated prospect you can still get a great WR in next years draft with a top 10 pick, whereas it will cost 2-3 first round picks to move up for that franchise QB you don’t have. So I still come down on the same side of the equation, take the QB. It’s a risk, but so is everything.

I think McCarthy at 3 is a big risk, but I always come back to the same question, where do you get your franchise QB if you pass on the ones with that upside at 3? It won’t be free agency or a trade, it won’t be a cap cut, which leaves you going back into the following draft’s in the situation where you will most likely have to give up multiple first round picks to take your chances with that year’s top QB’s. Which begs the question- is it better to take the chance with that 3 pick, or have to give up 2-3 first round picks to take a similar chance a year or two from now.

So while I agree that Harrison is a higher rated prospect you can still get a great WR in next years draft with a top 10 pick, whereas it will cost 2-3 first round picks to move up for that franchise QB you don’t have. So I still come down on the same side of the equation, take the QB. It’s a risk, but so is everything.
I am fine with Maye or Daniels @ 3 not JJ McCarthy I am ok with McCarthy anytime after the Top 10 but I'm sure a QB needy Team like the Giants might think otherwise. You have to the think the second tier of the Penix Jr and Bo Nix's are a good consolation I think both will be good Starters down the road.

I am fine with Maye or Daniels @ 3 not JJ McCarthy I am ok with McCarthy anytime after the Top 10 but I'm sure a QB needy Team like the Giants might think otherwise. You have to think the second tier of the Penix Jr and Bo Nix's are a good consolation I think both will be good Starters down the road.

Lazar's mock would be perfect - all hinges on Suamataia (OT from BYU) making it down to 34. Guy sounds like a beast. I saw another mock where he's taken at 31 so hope he slides.

I am fine with Maye or Daniels @ 3 not JJ McCarthy I am ok with McCarthy anytime after the Top 10 but I'm sure a QB needy Team like the Giants might think otherwise. You have to the think the second tier of the Penix Jr and Bo Nix's are a good consolation I think both will be good Starters down the road.

I get what you are saying, and it’s a perfectly valid take, . And I agree that 3 is too high, but I still prioritize franchise caliber over decent starter. If I’m going to use that pick in a quarterback then they have to have the highest upside, and not the highest floor. Bo Nix and Penix could possibly end up being decent starting quarterbacks, but that only take a team so far, usually ending in the Divisional Round of the playoffs, at best. And McCarthy could end up being a total bust, like Zach Wilson is to this point in time. However McCarthy also has an upside that if coached properly, and he takes to that coaching, could be good enough to win Lombardi’s with. And this is the critical quality for me when it comes to taking the quarterback in the first round, can you win championships with them? If you just thing decent starter is their ceiling then wait until the second round to take them, otherwise you are wasting your first round pick, which imo should always be used for a prospect with ALL PRO upside, regardless of need, and not used just to fill a need. And that isn’t pro bowl upside, because literally anyone can make the pro bowl these days, as the real top players always pass on it, but ALL PRO, the best of the best.

So, while I agree that 3 is a big risk with McCarthy, I would still use it if I believed that he’s a potential top 4 QB in this league. But it’s always better to take the risk than it is to be happy with mediocre.

I brought up Jamarcus Russell and Akili Smith after you brought up Trevor Simian and Jared Stidham

I can use a straw man argument too.

Akili Smith’s case at least has the eerie similarity of the Pats’ situation since he was the third of three QBs picked to start the draft.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back