PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

I've stated previously that if any of the two teams drafting before us just like Daniels style or perceived upside more than Maye, then Maye would be there at #3. If so, we might not see a better prospect (with the right coaching and a build up of the offense while he sits a year or two) in the next draft or two. Your assessment of Daniels is pretty good though and in line with what I've been seeing as well. There seems to be a debate regarding Daniels arm strength, that just because he can throw deep, his arm strength is nowhere near Maye or Williams (which might take into account his lack of throws to the middle of the field as you mentioned. You also want a QB to hit the quick slants and sideline throws that Brady excelled at. A QB needs excellent velocity and accuracy on those throws (which TB had, even though TB wasn't an elite overall arm talent). Maye has a cannon for an arm, and already has the size and strength. He's also mobile and will probably even run a faster 40 time than Josh Allen. And, he put up great numbers despite having a subpar OL, and maybe only one decent WR. Nice breakdown of Daniels though! I hope we get Maye and build an OL and weapons while he sits and learns (like the Bengals did and are doing with Burrow).
It is stated Daniels has a strong arm but not as much on velocity
Velocity will matter on those cold windy days
Also over middle of field in thise tight windows

Rather have Marvin or Alt myself. I think those guys are going to do more for whatever QB we have back there. That and I don't feel any of the 'top' QBs are worth the #3 pick.
Problem is where are you getting a QB? You like Nix or JJ? Next years QB draft class isn't very good.

Problem is where are you getting a QB? You like Nix or JJ? Next years QB draft class isn't very good.

I'd probably go with somebody I haven't read about yet. Somebody who gets overlooked since he's not prototypical.

Or use the extra pick on the OT in the original slot.

Outside of Alt and Fashsnu there still seems to be really good depth at OT.

Why waste a prime pick moving up?
I would love it if a group of guys that fit their scheme will definitely be there
If one grades higher and will go before 34. Then trade up
My guess is a second this year would have to be part of the trade package
If you stay at 34 you can get a QB, OT and WR in first 2 rounds

I'm warming up to Maye.
I've been against picking QB in the 1st, in favor of trade down for LT & WR...
But if we're taking a swing, the more I hear about him, he might be the best gamble. Because they'll all be a gamble.

I truly believe it'll be determined by who they can land in FA first.

I think we have all seen over the past few years that even good wr's look pretty pedestrian when coupled with a poor qb. Poor offensive lines make it tough for even good qb's to look ok. It would be cool to get all the positions filled, but I would much rather go with a qb or an o-lineman over a wr.

QB position is the most important. But LT is next in line. Who we got there? VLowe and Mr. Myocarditis Anderson?

I don’t want a repeat of Jim Plunkett.

I think we have all seen over the past few years that even good wr's look pretty pedestrian when coupled with a poor qb. Poor offensive lines make it tough for even good qb's to look ok. It would be cool to get all the positions filled, but I would much rather go with a qb or an o-lineman over a wr.

WR is the most likely to be filled in FA, top end LT and QB are both difficult to fill outside of the top of the first round, and QBs have a huge bust rate at the top of the 1st when team take a guy because they HAVE to have a QB. If Maye is there take him, other wise trade back a couple of picks and take the LT the team likes, pick up a 2nd 2nd and more.

This goes for Daniels too if the team likes him, I just don't personally.

It doesn’t need to be at #3.
You think JJ McCarthy or Penix is Good enough in a loaded conference with great QB's everywhere?

If you want to win, you need an elite QB. A guy who can make players better than they were/are. Brady/Mahomes are examples of this.

It doesn’t need to be at #3.
The lower you go the lower the chance that the pick works out and he probably won't play initially so you will need a semi decent FA as a placeholder.

You think JJ McCarthy or Penix is Good enough in a loaded conference with great QB's everywhere?

If you want to win, you need an elite QB. A guy who can make players better than they were/are. Brady/Mahomes are examples of this.
You mention Brady and Mahomes because they stand out.

Just wanting the top three QBs to be elite doesn’t make them so.

I am liking McCarthy, Penix not so much, but there are players at other positions that I like better than either of them, that is why I am a proponent of trading down and getting more high picks, along with the risk of McCarthy.

All of the QBs are risks, and there are good reasons to like McCarthy.

You mention Brady and Mahomes because they stand out.

Just wanting the top three QBs to be elite doesn’t make them so.

I am liking McCarthy, Penix not so much, but there are players at other positions that I like better than either of them, that is why I am a proponent of trading down and getting more high picks, along with the risk of McCarthy.

All of the QBs are risks, and there are good reasons to like McCarthy.

This !! Considering all risks trading down and getting Mccarthy at 8 is probably the riskier and safer option .

I am liking McCarthy more and more as opposed to daniels . We don't need a starter this year. So McCarthy can sit .

Maye has the size of a Burrow, Allen Mahomes. I would need to know about his competitiveness. McCarthy is too small IMO.

This !! Considering all risks trading down and getting Mccarthy at 8 is probably the riskier and safer option .

I am liking McCarthy more and more as opposed to daniels . We don't need a starter this year. So McCarthy can sit .
Sign Flacco and let McCarthy learn for a year.

Sign Flacco and let McCarthy learn for a year.
We have two months until the draft and will be filtering through lots of info and misinformation.

Hopefully AVP and McAdoo are up to the task. It seems they were hired with QB selection and development in mind.

I saw his size listed elsewhere as 6-3 and 180.

Remember Brady sat for a year and built himself up.

Isn’t Brady 6-4? McCarthy is ballpark.

If McCarthy surges up the charts that helps the Pars whether we draft him or someone else,

Or get teams competing for our pick.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back