PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft thoughts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconGrundleCandy

Not the kind of guy to say I told you so ...
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Won't comment on everyone. Just point out who I think has done well so far and monitor the rest of the weekend ...

Baltimore - A
Queen, Dobbins, Madubuike, Duvernay, Harrison & Phillips (G)

I mean it's hard not to like this haul. Queen is instinctive, smart, raw but already makes big plays. Reminds me of a cross between Thomas Davis & Roquan Smith. So fresh to the position he looks like a natural.

Harrison I thought could be a KVN replacement. Or Roberts for that matter. He can do a little of everything. Very smooth shuffling and moving laterally. Violent aggressive when hitting the a and B gaps. He has range, can Shuffle scrape, shoot and make a tfl.

Duvernay is like a RB with a ball in his hands. Think Deebo and golden tate. Huge get. That's the slot to go with Brown. I really wanted Duvernay here. Hes a tough, physical player. Nice 1-2 combo with Brown. Both have 4.4 speed.

And man now defense have to account for Dobbins?? Think Travis Henry, Frank Gore nasty type of runner. Powerful, tough runner. Thick, dense runner. Really developed his patience and vision setting up his blocks. Probably his best traits. Very good following his puller, coming off combos, setting up his lanes for the 2nd level. Doesn't have big speed but rather he'll gash for chunks and rum behind his pads all game. + wiggle for his power. He might never lead the league in missed tackles but hes loose. He's hips are loose and he can easily make 1-2 defenders miss. That's all you need. ++ in pass pro. Great example of how to build around Jackson. Brown, Duvernay, Smoke Brown isn't bad at all to go along with an entire team coming back. Dobbins, Hill, Ingram & Jackson is a scary rushing attack

Obviously really like Madubuike amd Phillips. Both Balt type guys.

They've done really well so far imo. 3 picks left.

Carolina - A
I'm looking at the big picture here. Brown & Short playing inside with Burns & YGM coming off the edge. That could be a great DL. Burns was very good last year but just didn't get the run. Add Chinn as their enforcer in the secondary. 3 picks with a clear definition, picture behind them. Sort of like ours.

Broncos - A
Idc how it happens or how you define it. Just get contributions from players. Don't worry about "starter" label or if your WR got a 1000 yards. Just get big time contributions from guys.

Ok remember how I talked about "big picture" ... Sutton, Fant, Jeudy, Hamler, Lindsey & Gordon. Add Cush to that OL. Ojmudia & Agim. I thought Ojmudia was an option here. Physical, nice size. Good in press and redirecting. That offense is legit though.

Remember when you'd talk about ... "We need 2 solid/good corners"??? Forget about 2 good CBs. Now you need 5-6 DB's that can cover for 4 seconds which is an eternity in this league. It's not uncommon to see this situation around the league nowadays. Just tons of weapons everywhere.

Cowboys -B
Again big picture. I'm higher on Dak than most out there and this has to be good news for him. Every QB is different. Dam wants his targets running precise routes. Cooper, Lamb & Gallup will own the MOF/Seam & sidelines. This will be a fun trio to watch. Elliot in the 4th quarter after passing 30 times a games through 3 quarters.
Lamb is filthy if you haven't seen him. Chris Chambers like with better rr. Others compared him to Hopkins. Hes a great rr! I mean most elite WR are great with spacing but he's really good at a young age. Great off the line. Will give you deadly little fakes in route. Will change up his tempo. Nasty releases man. Sticky hands. Can work all 3 levels. Might never be a true alpha #1 WR but he's so good. And combined with the rest of that offense good luck stopping them. Brings you back to DB's. You need a bunch. Not a huge fan of Diggs. Can't imagine how he'll deal with some guys but he has a special makeup. Like Gallimore where they got him. He's fun. Kinda one trick pony. Gets beat up inside but he's a decent one trick prospect.

Indy could be fun?? Taylor and Mack behind that line? Pittman and TY. I think Rivers is done but if he's not that team is ready to roll. They need a true CB1 but that roster is in good shaoe rn. Interesting they picked Blackmon. Anyway I liked how they went about this draft so far. Taylor and Pittman in the 2nd round is perfect and how you play those positions. Pittman is very underrated. Nasty, aggressive swipes and swats coming off the line. Aggressive at catch point. Very agile for 6'4/225. Sub 7 3C. 4.5 speed. He can separate on all 3 levels. Him and Taylor really help that offense and give that side some identity. Pittman is a + blocker as well. Buckner and Nelson would be so fun to watch in practice. Buckner got the better of him more than a few times as a rookie but Nelson definitely stood out even still.

Raiders - B
Completely transformed their WR corp. Look like classic (Z) Ruggs, (X)Edwards & (slot) Bowden. Not bad in one draft. I always say you can really change a lot if you double dip, triple dip, for the better. Muse is a big time Mayock Gruden pick.

Rams - B
I love Akers. He can do everything. + in pass pro, rec and can make you miss. Vg vision and packs a punch. Him and Henderson will make a sweet duo. Van Jefferson is probably a top 5 rr in this class. Just deadly off the line. Woods will be a good mentor to him along with Kupp. Again 3 guys that can really do damage across the short-intermediate parts of the field. I like Burgess a lot. I think him and K Wallace could be really good nickel defenders from this class.

Saints - B
Again big picture ...
Armstead, Peat, McCoy, Ruiz, Ramczyk
That's a pretty nasty OL. Add Trautman to Thomas, Kamara & Sanders. Off course T-Hill! That's an improved offense. Mostly bc of T-Hill but the other new prospects help a lot. Saints have been killing it lately.

Don't know about Washington yet but ... Chase, Kerrigan, Allen, Payne, Sweat, Settle, Ioannidis ... Is nuts. Literally everyone of those guys can ruin your day. That's insane. Can't wait to watch. Gibson added to TM, Harmon & a RBBC in Peterson, Guice & Love.

LOL @ GB Pack. Hopefully they listen to Rodgers and get Love some weapons.

Who's done the best/worst? Thoughts on certain teams? Picks? Picks for certain positions or position groups?

I like Jags' picks. CJ Henderson as a CB. Last years they had very legit DE and Chaisson would be a real deal at that position. Additionally Davoj Hamilton is another brick in bolstering their front seven. Lavisca Shenault will help Minshew in passing game since day 1.
I do not want to grade their effort but I really like these picks.

Looking at our picks ...

It's clear Bill had a plan coming in. Obviously they had their board but it seems to me Bill planned a year ahead like he did last year. He has to have a 3-5 year plan in mind approaching 70?

JoJo Williams, Wino, Dugger (Chung), Jennings (Wise), Uche (Collins) all look like what we'll see on a 2021 starting defense.

I really like the TE's. I probably would have gone Trautman at some point but I really can't complain.
Trautman, Kmet, Bryant, Claypool, Asiasi (TE5) & Keene all graded out similar
Screenshot_2020-04-25-06-30-57.png

This is where I'd love to have someone that knows what they're talking about look at my grades and adjust. Like "You have so & so here but maybe you didn't account for his size enough or how bad he was underutilized"

Anyway I really like these two. Both have the ability to play anywhere and I hope the gods we use that way. Wheels out of the backfield for Keene. I think Keene has a ton of potential here as an all around TE.

You can easily see he moves ... Has acceleration, speed to beat most LB/S for at least large gains. I think Bill will turn both into much better blockers. Remember the Tony Gonzo clip about blocking? Keene has that attitude, nastiness and effort. He can definitely get there.

Asiasi is 6'3/260, not enormous but plenty big enough let's be honest. He needs to clean up his initial footwork/steps , really utilize and take advantage of what length he has and use that 6'3 to get underneath his man. Play like he's 260 and get aggressive when you need to.

Now we need speed/quicks on offense. How about Mooney, Hightower, G Davis, Hill, Proche, Swain, DPJ

AGG as a big play red zone threat?

Who's left that you want?

QB?

I like Jags' picks. CJ Henderson as a CB. Last years they had very legit DE and Chaisson would be a real deal at that position. Additionally Davoj Hamilton is another brick in bolstering their front seven. Lavisca Shenault will help Minshew in passing game since day 1.
I do not want to grade their effort but I really like these picks.
Good one!

Chark, Shenault, Westbrook, Oliver for targets isn't bad. GM will make it work.

Then you have Josh Allen coming off the edge. Chaisson replacing Smith?
Henderson and Harrison in the secondary.

Not bad if that OL can take another step and the internal bs stops.

Looking at our picks ...

It's clear Bill had a plan coming in. Obviously they had their board but it seems to me Bill planned a year ahead like he did last year. He has to have a 3-5 year plan in mind approaching 70?

JoJo Williams, Wino, Dugger (Chung), Jennings (Wise), Uche (Collins) all look like what we'll see on a 2021 starting defense.

I really like the TE's. I probably would have gone Trautman at some point but I really can't complain.
Trautman, Kmet, Bryant, Claypool, Asiasi (TE5) & Keene all graded out similar
View attachment 27094

This is where I'd love to have someone that knows what they're talking about look at my grades and adjust. Like "You have so & so here but maybe you didn't account for his size enough or how bad he was underutilized"

Anyway I really like these two. Both have the ability to play anywhere and I hope the gods we use that way. Wheels out of the backfield for Keene. I think Keene has a ton of potential here as an all around TE.

You can easily see he moves ... Has acceleration, speed to beat most LB/S for at least large gains. I think Bill will turn both into much better blockers. Remember the Tony Gonzo clip about blocking? Keene has that attitude, nastiness and effort. He can definitely get there.

Asiasi is 6'3/260, not enormous but plenty big enough let's be honest. He needs to clean up his initial footwork/steps , really utilize and take advantage of what length he has and use that 6'3 to get underneath his man. Play like he's 260 and get aggressive when you need to.

Now we need speed/quicks on offense. How about Mooney, Hightower, G Davis, Hill, Proche, Swain, DPJ

AGG as a big play red zone threat?

QB?

Appreciate all of your insights. Love Proche and Peoples-Jones too. Not interested in any WR who is described as "lacks top end speed but..." today. Need to get more athletic at the position.

Thoughts on Watkins for Southern Miss? Raw but his speed is mouth-watering.

Thoughts on Watkins for Southern Miss? Raw but his speed is mouth-watering.

so he will end up with the Chiefs...:D

I would love also to have some speedy guys, but to be honest I would rather have an WR who can run crisp routes and can get quick separation instead of just downfield speed

lets see

QB?

DT/NT: Leki Fotu, Khalil Davis, James Lynch, John Penisini (UDFA)

WR: James Proche, DPJ, KJ Hill, John Hightower, Darnell Money,
there will be some good WR as UDFA to collect I guess, but many of the listed will be gone by the time Pats are supposed to be back on the clock

In case some of them fall I would even take another TE specifically Albert O, O'Grady, Moss, Parkinson (all in the 6th or 7th round or even as UDFA if anyone by chance is not picked by then)

OG/C, would love Biadasz to slip to us, high risk, potentialy high reward

QB: take a flyer on Cole McDonald or Jake Luton in the 6th round, don't want Fromm

I'm concerned (K) Rodrigo Blankenship might not be there at #159.

Hate the Ratbirds, but they are probably the most well-run organization in the league right now. They have what, two years before Lamar's rookie contract ends. I expect them to be the team to beat in the AFC before then.

Miami is an interesting draft story.

1. GM wants to tank for Tua but signs Flores who's not tanking.
2. GM goes on firesale of best players in key positions (Tunsil, Minkah...) to a) double down on tanking b) grabs ammo for potentially needed significant trade up - compromising short term rebuild of maximising QB rookie contract.
3. Tua gets hurt and falls to Miami anyway - but the QB they want now & only “safe“ franchise QB Burrow is out of reach. Ironically getting Tua leaves them with missing on best QB . but leaving them with plenty draft capital to “replace“ Tunsil and Minkah)
4. Miami continues risky picks (projects/inj.history) with OT Jackson, G Hunt & questionable prospects of DT Davis, S B.Jones while doubling down on strong and very costly CB group giving another 1st round pick on CB Igbinoghene.

After all the FA capital, Draft capital - still plenty of Q-marks at key positions going into first year of Tua with Tua now being one of them..

Flores is strong, no nonsense coach - but this has the making of a tough ride..

ps
can't thank you enough for all the content here

Last edited:
i was interested in BGCs take on the Pats draft...wanted to see his post first before i posted an over reaction lol. I cant stand the constant reach when BB picks. he gets guys in the 2nd and 3rd round that could be there in the 4th or 5th. BGC is right, this is about "red shirting" players and counting on them next year. We should also have a better cap situation to bring in talent. Dont like the trade with the @#$% Jets. Screw them. good content as usual BGC

Hate the Ratbirds, but they are probably the most well-run organization in the league right now. They have what, two years before Lamar's rookie contract ends. I expect them to be the team to beat in the AFC before then.

They've always been in both my top 5 hated and respected teams.

Miami is an interesting draft story.

1. GM wants to tank for Tua but signs Flores who's not tanking.
2. GM goes on firesale of best players in key positions (Tunsil, Minkah...) to a) double down on tanking b) grabs ammo for potentially needed significant trade up - compromising short term rebuild of maximising QB rookie contract.
3. Tua gets hurt and falls to Miami anyway - but the QB they want now & only “safe“ franchise QB Burrow is out of reach. Ironically getting Tua leaves them with missing on best QB . but leaving them with plenty draft capital to “replace“ Tunsil and Minkah)
4. Miami continues risky picks (projects/inj.history) with OT Jackson, G Hunt & questionable prospects of DT Davis, S B.Jones while doubling down on strong and very costly CB group giving another 1st round pick on CB Igbinoghene.

After all the FA capital, Draft capital - still plenty of Q-marks at key positions going into first year of Tua with Tua now being one of them..

Flores is strong, no nonsense coach - but this has the making of a tough ride..

ps
can't thank you enough for all the content here
Yea Miami managed to get lucky and still kinda have holes for the future. That's a big rebuild though. Definitely going into next year like ours.

Appreciate it thank you

he gets guys in the 2nd and 3rd round that could be there in the 4th or 5th.

Apart from blatant situations like Jordan Richards how do you know when people will still be around ? What is a reach ?

Why are the individual as well as averaged common draft boards of "experts" and "armchair experts" out there considered canon in terms of where a player should go ?

The thing that usually gets me is that people think that by taking e.g. Dugger at #37 they missed out on someone those people considered a good prospect without even knowing if that guy was on BB's board to begin with.

For all we know it might have been a decision between Uche and Dugger at #37 with no good trade down option available and they went with the one they thought would be less likely to still be available later.

And this is not a BB defending paragraph but a more general pet peeve when it comes to the term "reach".

Dallas had a beautiful draft IMO.

Last edited:
Dallas had a beautiful draft IMO.

Don't disagree.

The beauty of the draft however is that drafts that look great could end up being mediocre and vice versa.

Really surprised that no one has taken Hunter Bryant. Am I missing something from his game?

Baltimore ..
Queen, Dobbins, Madubuike, Duvernay, Harrison, Phillips, Bredeson, Washington, Proche & Stone.

This is quite the haul at first glance. I mentioned it before but a successful draft imo is multiple contributors. They could have 3-5 starters here if you consider Stone on ST. I think he'll be fine player there. Box S in a pinch. Yea this was quite the haul.
Queen/Harrison at LB.

Duvernay/Proche slot/z/st

Madubuike/Washington IDL

Bredeson/Phillips IOL

Stone ST

That's how you do it.

Anyway without getting into crazy specifics.
Dobbins is the perfect RB. + in pass pro and and big time finisher that make the first guy(s) miss. That rushing attack just got better. Hill/Ingram/Dobbins is quite the trio to go along with LJ.

Proche/Duvernay as slot/z

If anyone hasn't seen these two play go watch them. Proche is a WR3/4 but you need a solid guy there nowadays. Amazing tracking, catching through contact & hand/eye coordination. Possible return man. I was higher in him than most (3rd). Hes limited but I feel like I know he'll be good in certain areas of the field. Against certain coverages and he'll never be going up against CB1/2. Used to working in close quarters.

Duvernay is like a pinball bouncing off defenders. Great RB's will look and ID a tackle. They'll see if a guy is going high or doesn't really want contact. Duvernay has that skill and he'll bounce right off you if he can.

Bredeson in the 4th I love it.

Harrison, Duvernay & Madubuike in the 3rd. Love it.

I wanted all 3 here but esp Harrison & DD. Thought Harrison was a great watch. Mean, nasty coming at you. Can fill, stack n shed, nice cod skills in tight areas playing rpo or zone. Played almost everywhere there.

Sooo...this is officially the new abstract BB meme :D

0CE7C32A-F2F5-44EC-8BBD-A353033E7AAE.jpeg

6B847D96-3544-417B-B48D-828A9400B6C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes