PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Stock: JJ McCarthy Game Manager to 2nd Overall

Yeah, he's said McCarthy is a super genius amazing wonderkid who is the best in the class, and that tackles are so important and he's gonna take a tackle at 5.

Meanwhile look at his roster. He's dumped almost all of his WRs in a class with 3 really premier WR1s at the top.

Do we really think he loves McCarthy so much and is really telegraphing his pick, or is he maybe trying to push other teams to take QBs and tackles so that the WRs fall a pick or two if he trades down?
Who knows what he's trying to do. We don't know what Mayo is trying to do either, who's actually said almost nothing of value. The point is all these guys talk ****, but somehow, Mayo is the only one that needs to stfu. Lol

Who knows what he's trying to do. We don't know what Mayo is trying to do either, who's actually said almost nothing of value. The point is all these guys talk ****, but somehow, Mayo is the only one that needs to stfu. Lol
Give them a break, man. They're not used to coaches who respond to all of the media's idiocy with standard coach-speak instead of, you know, nothing.

Slight edit for accuracy. You don't the qualifier. Harrison's the best player in the draft, bar none.
A lot of "experts" have Nabers over MHJ. There is no "best player" in the draft, because it depends on who's doing the evaluations.

A lot of "experts" have Nabers over MHJ. There is no "best player" in the draft, because it depends on who's doing the evaluations.
Ok, now I'm convinced you're on his management team. Nobody pimps Malik Nabers as much as you do. He's the 3rd best WR prospect, depending on how much you like Xavier Worthy.

People are just used to Bill saying jack **** whatsoever. Mayo saying anything at all is just too much. Lol

I do think he was a little too free-wheeling week 1 but his comments the past few weeks have been very much in-line with what I'd expect from a typical HC.

People are just used to Bill saying jack **** whatsoever. Mayo saying anything at all is just too much. Lol

I do think he was a little too free-wheeling week 1 but his comments the past few weeks have been very much in-line with what I'd expect from a typical HC.
Well, Bill is sitting on a couch like the rest of us. I hope Team Bill let's this go so we can move on to the new era. Unlikely, I know.

There's so much MONEY involved in promoting these kids before the draft. The higher you go, the more green is involved.

I have little doubt that there are behind-the-scenes people pumping them for cash.

Best QB prospect in this draft remains Caleb Williams, with Drake Maye #2.

Some team out there is blowing smoke so one of the 1st 3 teams takes the bait.

The Jets freaked out when it was rumored the Pats were trading up for Dwayne Robertson in 2003 and Vernon Gholston in 2007. Baker Mayfield leapfrogged all the QB's when the Pats had interest in him. Players are told every year that the team is taking them, but takes someone else. It's all a poker game fellas.

Just trying to understand something here - As is my recollection, McCarthy was perceived as a game manager throughout his college career, as well as directly following the Championship game. (people were memeing him as the guy who does nothing on the group project and still gets an A etc).

And since then, he hasn't taken another snap - but somehow has jumped ahead of a bunch of QBs who were rated way above him during, and directly after the season.

So are teams really thinking that a few nice throws in shorts are enough to elevate him to be 2 overall in the draft? He was a 2nd (some outlets 3rd) round guy just a few weeks ago IIRC.

Is this a classic situation where the media hypes up a new prospect from week to week, because they've gotten bored talking about the last guy?

I remember reading that "draft stock" is really just something that exists in the eyes of the media. ie NFL teams more or less already know who sits where as they've scouted them for years, and only character/injury concerns that emerge last minute can cause major plummets.

Maybe he was always a first round talent, and the media just learned it.. I am interested to hear what other people think about the "draft stock" concept!
He was a 5 star qb coming out of high school. 17th ranked prospect overall

Not a game manager

Yeah somehow his stock skyrocketed while mayes has plummeted without either playing a single game. It’s funny when we fell from 2 to 3 the last couple weeks of the regular season i was hearing lots of talk that we played our way out on the caleb/drake tier, then the clear #2 became jayden with nobody wanting drake anymore, now they’re trying to make it jj. All well after the college season ended. its all games, just hope we don’t fall for it and take jj over one of the others.

Yes, the combine matters.

Yes, private workouts matter.

Yes, in-person, ZOOM, and pro day interviews matter.

An, yes pro days matter.

There's so much MONEY involved in promoting these kids before the draft. The higher you go, the more green is involved.

I have little doubt that there are behind-the-scenes people pumping them for cash.

Best QB prospect in this draft remains Caleb Williams, with Drake Maye #2.
And, I believe that many QB needy teams do NOT have Williams #1 on their boards.

Yes. That made me remember Will McDonough in the Globe with his first round projection the day of the draft. He’d call each front office and get their intended pick several days in advance.

He usually nailed it.
McD was very mad at Kraft for not taking the guy Parcells told McD he was going to take.

I find it amusing how when Harbaugh speaks, and he's said a lot, nobody says he needs to stfu. When Mayo talks, it's a totally different take. I wonder why that is. Just the other day Harbaugh was saying the OL is the most important unit, basically saying they're going T with #5. Not a peep from the HC critics for being outspoken.
A lot of people have commented on wacko Harbaugh proclamations.

Ok, now I'm convinced you're on his management team. Nobody pimps Malik Nabers as much as you do. He's the 3rd best WR prospect, depending on how much you like Xavier Worthy.
I’d put Odunze ahead of Worthy.. he looks fragile.

McCarthy is early 2nd material at best.

And, I believe that many QB needy teams do NOT have Williams #1 on their boards.
Everyone knows he's going to Chicago. And also, he's a pain in the ass. He is the most talented in the class, though, and few QB gurus disagree with that from what I can see.

Personally, I like Daniels as much as any. I'm not sure there's much difference (total talent wise - the styles are different) in the 5 or 6 after Williams. I trust AVP and McAdoo to make their best judgment - it's still a crapshoot.

McCarthy at #2 will push a better player/trade to us. I like McCarthy as he does have some great stats in key QB situational football. Is that from the great coach/scheme or from him? I am not comfortable at #3 for him as others are but I just do not think we know enough about the prospect.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back