PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doug Gabriel..Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jefmblrd said:
I was excited when we picked him up, and now that I've seen him play the last couple of weeks, I'm even more excited. He has good size, good speed and seems to have good hands. That TD catch was nice and as Phil Simms said during the telecast, he, along with Chad Jackson, gives Brady a WR he can hit off those curl routes in the middle. He was getting open nicely today, and Brady was hitting him.

Just a correction he mention doug with cadwell not jackson.Btw , he also mentioned that the main reason for chad not being alot is because he has developed no chemistry with brady and talking to the coaching staff the night before the game with brady he was informed they are going to use him in short throws ,cut back runs and slowly let him develop to the point of serviabiliy.

Doug Gabriel will get even better as the season unfolds. Hopefully, Chad Jackson will emerge in the second half of the season.

Gabriel is the latest steal by the Patriots brain trust.

jefmblrd said:
That's not complaining; I thought the same thing. It looked like he tweaked his hammy on one of his receptions; I was glad to see him come back in.

Yes, I thought the same thing on Doug's last reception across the middle. Just before he made the grab, he looked like he took an awkward step, made the catch, and went down. Thought he was favoring his leg when he got up afterward. Don't remember seeing him again for the rest of the game? Hope he's ok! This may explain a bit, why he was held out of last weekends game so much?

You can just notice how much better Brady was with his recievers this week. He seems a lot more comfortable with them now.

Kdo5 said:
You can just notice how much better Brady was with his recievers this week. He seems a lot more comfortable with them now.

Brady wasn't that great in the 1st half. He was much better in the 2nd half.

However, this 57% completion garbage needs to change. We need him to start being 62-70% complete and hopefully that will start next week in Miami and continue through to the end of the season.

DaBruinz said:
Brady wasn't that great in the 1st half. He was much better in the 2nd half.

However, this 57% completion garbage needs to change. We need him to start being 62-70% complete and hopefully that will start next week in Miami and continue through to the end of the season.

57% garbage? Brady didn't throw that many passes - so if one incomplete is turned into a reception, then he'd have thrown 62%.

Doug Gabriel - Fifth Rounder

I love the Raiders.:singing:

Born_a_Patriot said:
Doug Gabriel - Fifth Rounder

I love the Raiders.:singing:

Seriously. Doug Gabriel was drafted in the fifth round and has performed far better than fifth round WRs perform. So how the hell do you turn and trade him for a 5th round pick?!? Stat wise, it wouldn't really be all the different than if we had traded Givens for a 7th rounder in 04. It's on that level of dumbness.

Good ol Raiders :rocker:

Last edited:
There's a reason why they're the worst team in the league.

BradyManny2344 said:
57% garbage? Brady didn't throw that many passes - so if one incomplete is turned into a reception, then he'd have thrown 62%.

Yes, 57% is garbage considering that Brady has averaged over 61% for his career.

Also, Brady threw 26 passes. He was 8/12 in the first half and only 7/14 in the second half. I don't know about you, but that's not impressive.

Yes, the Pats won and Brady looked better, but completing 57% of his passes isn't what is expected of Brady. And its not what he's shown he's capable of.

While I might complain about a drop from Graham or Watson (which I'm not going to) Brady threw several bad passes including what would have been a TD to David Thomas.

DaBruinz said:
Yes, 57% is garbage considering that Brady has averaged over 61% for his career.

Also, Brady threw 26 passes. He was 8/12 in the first half and only 7/14 in the second half. I don't know about you, but that's not impressive.

Yes, the Pats won and Brady looked better, but completing 57% of his passes isn't what is expected of Brady. And its not what he's shown he's capable of.

While I might complain about a drop from Graham or Watson (which I'm not going to) Brady threw several bad passes including what would have been a TD to David Thomas.

I don't know about that. With the amount of throws he had, his average would round up to 62% completion percentage with just one more completion. You're telling me if he would have completed one more pattern in the flat that maybe gains a few yards, this somehow would have made his performance acceptable? If he puts that throw that ended up as INT into Gabriels feet for an incomplete pass, I am pleased with the performance. Could his performance have been better? yes. But take away that Int and a 57% comp percentage, 0 sacks, 0 int's, 7.2 y/a and 2 TD throws will do just fine!

TheBostonStraggler said:
I don't know about that. With the amount of throws he had, his average would round up to 62% completion percentage with just one more completion. You're telling me if he would have completed one more pattern in the flat that maybe gains a few yards, this somehow would have made his performance acceptable? If he puts that throw that ended up as INT into Gabriels feet for an incomplete pass, I am pleased with the performance. Could his performance have been better? yes. But take away that Int and a 57% comp percentage, 0 sacks, 0 int's, 7.2 y/a and 2 TD throws will do just fine!

Sorry, but I expect Brady to play better. He had at least 4 very poorly thrown balls when he had no pressure on him. I don't blame Brady for the one that was intended for Watson but that Caldwell deflected. Nor do I really blame Brady for the one to Watson that was dropped when the defender slammed into Watson's arm or the one where Caldwell got crunched. But the one to Gabriel and the one to Thomas are stricly Brady's fault. And yes, had he completed those 2 and others, I'd be a happy camper cause Brady would have been 19 for 26. That is Brady like and its what we've come to expect from a QB who is touted by us as one of the top 3, if not the #1, QB in the league.

I'm sure many of you have already come to this conclusion but it hit me today while I was watching the game. Gabriel seems like an adequate replacement for Branch, no? Then if that's true we traded our 5th round pick next year for Seattle's 1st pick. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back