PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doug Gabriel..Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots4Ever

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I do believe this is the 2nd week in a row he has led the Recievers in yards,if not also in Receptions.Tommy definately seems to be looking his way a bit more.Sounds Promising.That TD' Catch today,Tommy Looked positively thrilled that he was able to connect with Doug on that open throw.I think we found ourselves a winner folks.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Doug Gabriel has arrived.

my thought is: we got that guy for a 5th round pick?!?!?!?!?!?

I was excited when we picked him up, and now that I've seen him play the last couple of weeks, I'm even more excited. He has good size, good speed and seems to have good hands. That TD catch was nice and as Phil Simms said during the telecast, he, along with Chad Jackson, gives Brady a WR he can hit off those curl routes in the middle. He was getting open nicely today, and Brady was hitting him.

Why do you think Randy Moss was so pissed off that he went public with his complaints?

Gabe is going to be a good player for us. Jackson could be spectacular.....someday.

But for now, Gabe is going to be our possesion reciever. Way to go Gabe.

I've said it before I think Gabriel can be a very special player with Brady throwing him the ball, and the scary thing is he's only been part of the team for 4 weeks...just think of how good he will be come playoff time.

My thought is: thanks, Al!

I F-ing love Doug Gabriel. He's a big huge beast - he almost looks like a TE at his size. I love the hair - really makes him look even more imposing.

Our WR corps is looking better and better. I hope Chad Jackson takes over the #2 spot from Caldwell by mid to late season. Caldwell is fine, but CJ is going to be nasty.

Am I the only one that thought Doug tweaked his hammy though, prompting him to sit and Jackson to sub for him?

QB12

Some chemistry is definitely developing there. I like watching it play out. That TD pass was very nice and VERY welcome.

It all just came together today. But it's going to get even better.​

Last edited:
And on the interception Gabriel was wide open, Brady just threw it very high. The ball might have slipped out of his hand.

I thought he played well. I view him more as a replacement for Givens
than Branch. And, he will compare favorably by the end of the year.
Also, props to Caldwell for getting back in the game after that
vicious(illegal) hit. I know he didn't hold onto the ball. But, I doubt
if anyone would have. So much for the deer in headlights crowd.
Let's get Chad Jackson some reps and see what happens.

well, although the pass was high I felt he could have done a better job on the INT in the first quarter. I dont get the sense that the pass was behind.... so I kinda blame him for the INT.

He's good enough for our offense though. We don't need superstars, just intelligent players who can run good routes, make adjustments, get open, and make the possession catch.

I like him a lot as a #2 receiver in this offense, at this point he's a solid replacement for Givens. Maybe he'll show enough to be a #1 receiver , and CJ or Caldwell can be a solid #2 by year end.

He may very well turn out to be the best player they've picked up from another team, or UFA in the last two years. He was a good player on a bad team with 2 guys in front of him at his position.

as usual someone takes the words out of my mouth! great minds around here ;-)

QB12 said:
Am I the only one that thought Doug tweaked his hammy though, prompting him to sit and Jackson to sub for him?

QB12

Jesus, if people around here won the lottery they would complain about the taxes.

BradyisGod said:
Jesus, if people around here won the lottery they would complain about the taxes.

That's not complaining; I thought the same thing. It looked like he tweaked his hammy on one of his receptions; I was glad to see him come back in.

Last edited:
i tink it's amazing gabriel has picked up the offense so quickly and has produced so well in so little time and jackson seems to be having difficulty picking it up with a longer diration of time learning it. or even caldwell.

it seems gabriel has good understanding of the zones and is able to get separation

QB12 said:

QB12

I disagree. Obviously CJ, like any other rookie wideout, has a lot to learn and BB is breaking him in anyway he can. CJ was in on a lot of running plays to block. It only became more noticeable b/c we ran so much in the 4th. So I think that's what you noticed.

Last edited:
MrBigglesWorth said:
i tink it's amazing gabriel has picked up the offense so quickly and has produced so well in so little time and jackson seems to be having difficulty picking it up with a longer diration of time learning it. or even caldwell.

it seems gabriel has good understanding of the zones and is able to get separation

Jackson's a rookie - there was a great thread recently devoted to how little production rookie WRs provide simply b/c there is so much new to learn. We can't hold it against CJ if it takes a while for him to become the nasty wideout we expect.

As for Caldwell, I think he's probably just not as good a WR as Gabriel. I have no complaints about Caldwell thus far though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back