PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donta Hightower: modern linebacker superstar

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's so sick

Just doesn't get the recognition he deserves. One of the very best defensive players in the league. Period.

That safety sack, in the words of Mark Jackson, "was a grown man move." That medicre 2013 season he had filling in for Mayo seems like another lifetime ago.

That medicre 2013 season he had filling in for Mayo seems like another lifetime ago.
I remember back in 2013 the consensus was that Chandler Jones was the better player. Hightower has really grown into a top-notch LB. I think people who say it's easier to find another Hightower-type of LB than a Collins-type are underestimating how rare that combination of size and speed of Hightower is. In the combine he weighed 265, that's 99th percentile for all LBs (including OLBs). Really hope we can keep both Collins and Hightower. They make for a great LB combo.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here: Dontae's Inferno.

BOOM!

I remember back in 2013 the consensus was that Chandler Jones was the better player. Hightower has really grown into a top-notch LB. I think people who say it's easier to find another Hightower-type of LB than a Collins-type are underestimating how rare that combination of size and speed of Hightower is. In the combine he weighed 265, that's 99th percentile for all LBs (including OLBs). Really hope we can keep both Collins and Hightower. They make for a great LB combo.
I think it's easier because I don't think there is another athlete the calibre of Collins in the league but, certainly not easy to find a Hightower either. I think Hightower is the better player though.

Just doesn't get the recognition he deserves. One of the very best defensive players in the league. Period.

This is true when Hightower is healthy. Unfortunately, Hightower is often injured.

I think it's easier because I don't think there is another athlete the calibre of Collins in the league but, certainly not easy to find a Hightower either. I think Hightower is the better player though.
I do agree that Collins' freakish athleticism is pretty much unique. Just saying that some people are too nonchalant about finding a Hightower-type. Especially one that can lead a defense. I hope both like the situation in New England enough to stay and not go for the biggest contract out there. But even if one of them walks, I think I'll always be a fan of them. Both are great guys.

This is true when Hightower is healthy. Unfortunately, Hightower is often injured.
Unfortunately, and here I agree with this The Ringer piece, it's a consequence of his play style.

Great article on a really under-rated star on our D.

Collins gets a lot of credit for his freak athleticism and Jones had the sack numbers when he was here, but High truly is a special player in his own right and deserves just as much, if not more credit.

Even though Hightower struggled for a little when Mayo got hurt, I think that was essential in his development. But im sure he would be just as good even if mayo stayed on the field

I'm not as convinced of his fragility as most seems to be. I think NE, due to depth and less must-win-games during the season, play it safe with BOTH Collins and Hightower, all things being equal. IMO he could of played in many of the games they hold him out, and probably wants too as well. But it's all about the post season for NE, so they take a longer term view on recovery for most of their key players.

The question becomes what will happen to Donte next year? For that matter what happens to half the patriots Roster next year?

The question becomes what will happen to Donte next year? For that matter what happens to half the patriots Roster next year?
Hopefully they all enjoy their new rings enough to come back to win another one.

Getting snubbed for Pro Bowls because he misses at least two games a season due to injuries keeps him as one of the many underrated players in the league. He IMO is right behind Kuechly as one of the best LBs, and he is also one of the top 20 players in the league.

Donta is awesome... in the movies too:

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes