PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't like Edelman's being so underpaid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm uncomfortable with Edelman's salary being so out of line with his value to the team. This isn't a case like Butler, of a young player who can expect to make much more money later on. Nor is it a situation like Brady's, who, although he makes much less than he could, still makes a decent amount. Nor some unproven guy in his first year or so doing great.

The only receiver in NEP history that has made more money than JE is Randy Moss.

Edelman's been at the top level for years now. He's done remarkable things as a receiver, but also unselfishly and skillfully does things like blocking and kick returns. He gets YAC and puts himself at some risk by doing it.

I agree

Maybe the Patriots can get away with it, but if they can, it's only because other teams are so stupid that they don't see Edelman's value.

Get away with what? He was a FA in 2014. He had a broken foot in 2012 and was signed to 1 year prove it deal in 2013. Up to 2014 he had one good year at that point and for that he got a 4y/17m deal.$8m guaranteed for one good year is pretty damn good .Its not like the forced him to take the vet minimum. .. Teams are not going to break the bank over one year for a player. GB and the NYG were interested. He isnt a deep treat or a touchdown machine.

I love watching the Patriots and especially watching them win, and win brilliantly. Edelman epitomizes the Patriots philosophy as much as any other player except Brady. But he's playing a risky, dangerous position and outrageously underpaying him makes me feel complicit in the idiocy of other teams in the NFL.

I may be biased because I believe Edelman is one of the top receivers in the league. More important, Edelman is great in ways that other receivers can't even imagine. I mean, sure, a receiver can be a bit taller or faster than others, but corners and DCs are used to that stuff and can plan for it. Edelman in my view changes the whole nature of the offense in a way other receivers can't do. But even if you disagree with that, Edelman still, for what he's done, feels WAY underpaid.

Love JE 11 too but I think you are a little over the top on this.

Timing is everything in life and so are contracts. Jules made a choice and so did the Pats. Teams arent just going to rip up deals just to pay the player more.

The bottom line is both the player and the team agreed to a deal that works. That should be enough for us.

Please explain how Edelman is great in ways and changes our offense in ways a Green, Jones, Beckham or Brown couldnt.
Honestly, if you need that explanation after watching him for the last few years, no one can help you.

Honestly, if you need that explanation after watching him for the last few years, no one can help you.
Great player but I dont see him doing anything that ant other great WR couldnt do. Same as many other guys in this system Moss, Welker, Brown, Branch etc

I agree that he is underpaid but I dont think the patriots should do anything about it.

I look at an NFL contract as an investment. When I give you x amount of guaranteed money and y amount salary I am taking on a risk that you could end up sucking or getting injured (EDIT: Or killing somebody...) and then im screwed and lose at least x. So when I make a good investment and your value goes up I should be rewarded for it.

At the end of the day the players agreed to the contracts they signed and the team takes on the risk of injury or the player regressing. If they arnt happy with what their making they shouldnt have agreed to a long term deal and should have just taken a series of 1-year contracts that paid them their market value each year.

He's going to be 32 by the time 2018 season rolls around and they have to do something with his contract, i would be very wary about someone at that position taking as many hits as that hitting the wall like Welker did.

That's why he won't ever see his money.

He gets 4million+ a year and got a 5million signing bonus with his most recent contract. He is making 28th in the league for WRs, and the top-paid WR on the Patriots. That seems just about exactly right.

Amendola is making too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore