PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't like Edelman's being so underpaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I'm uncomfortable with Edelman's salary being so out of line with his value to the team. This isn't a case like Butler, of a young player who can expect to make much more money later on. Nor is it a situation like Brady's, who, although he makes much less than he could, still makes a decent amount. Nor some unproven guy in his first year or so doing great.

Edelman's been at the top level for years now. He's done remarkable things as a receiver, but also unselfishly and skillfully does things like blocking and kick returns. He gets YAC and puts himself at some risk by doing it.

Maybe the Patriots can get away with it, but if they can, it's only because other teams are so stupid that they don't see Edelman's value.

I love watching the Patriots and especially watching them win, and win brilliantly. Edelman epitomizes the Patriots philosophy as much as any other player except Brady. But he's playing a risky, dangerous position and outrageously underpaying him makes me feel complicit in the idiocy of other teams in the NFL.

I may be biased because I believe Edelman is one of the top receivers in the league. More important, Edelman is great in ways that other receivers can't even imagine. I mean, sure, a receiver can be a bit taller or faster than others, but corners and DCs are used to that stuff and can plan for it. Edelman in my view changes the whole nature of the offense in a way other receivers can't do. But even if you disagree with that, Edelman still, for what he's done, feels WAY underpaid.

He signed his deal after only showing one year of consistent production and during a rare buyer's market for WR in FA. Obviously he deserves more, but if he's okay with what he's making, the team won't go out of their way to lose cap space.

He's been well taken care of given the timing of when he signed. But I bet something is done this off-season to bring the dollars up and we lock him in long term early.

Not disagreeing with your point but I think Edelman has earned additional earning potential with his celebrity status in NE which will continue long after he's retired. For example I just purchased Troy Brown's book. He's in that special group of Pats along with Brown, Willie, Bruschi etc...

He is under contract, other teams can do nothing.

But I'm with you, I hope he is rewarded with an extension since he is set to become a free agent next year and the market is crazy, better to extend him now if there's some money left after this FA and draft.

I'm not trying to downplay Edelman but he signed the deal in '14 after having his first full season as a starter. The deal was more than fair for him at the time.

Has he outperformed it? Yes and i'm sure he'll get a bump at some point this offseason

Rewarding Edelman is a great idea in theory, but in practice I think it would be a really bad idea. This is the salary cap era. Every dollar counts. Plus, most importantly, it sets a terrible precedent.

Imagine if they make an exception for Edelman and do this for him. Now other long-tenured Patriots are going to expect the same. And then the front office is going to push back and say, "well, no, sorry -- this was just an exception." Now egos are hurt, relationships are strained, or resentment is brewing when others feel like Edelman is getting preferential treatment. Now maybe a player that was on the fence about taking less to stay here is going to leave town. ("I'm going to take less to stay here... and meanwhile, we're giving Edelman raises 'just because'?")

So, again, conceptually I agree with the idea, but in practice I think it could have some bad consequences and so I absolutely would not do it.

Secure the services of a player for as little as you can. Determine his worth and don't go above it. Don't let sentiment get in the way of what you think is right.

Rewarding Edelman is a great idea in theory, but in practice I think it would be a really bad idea. This is the salary cap era. Every dollar counts. Plus, most importantly, it sets a terrible precedent.

No, it doesn't. It has been done multiple times.. just think Ninkovich..

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Edelman gets a Ninkovich-esque payment bump at some point in exchange for another year on top of the contract.

Didn't Edelman become a FA and went to the Giants and came back because we gave a pretty good deal at the time? Unfortunately it's all about timing but I'm sure the Pats have been more than fair with him. He should also understand that he has the GOAT throwing him the ball and a coach that utilizes him to be max. I don't see Edelman becoming a number one elsewhere. Sometimes you just have to count your blessings and be grateful.

He signed his deal after only showing one year of consistent production and during a rare buyer's market for WR in FA. Obviously he deserves more, but if he's okay with what he's making, the team won't go out of their way to lose cap space.
Exactly. He only received two other offers when they allowed him to test the market. It would be a vastly different scenario today, of course.

No, it doesn't. It has been done multiple times.. just think Ninkovich..

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Edelman gets a Ninkovich-esque payment bump at some point in exchange for another year on top of the contract.
I don't disagree, but Ninko's pay bump had a bit to do with the suspension as well. He may have gotten it anyway, but I'm just pointing out that there was just slightly more to his story. It doesn't mean it can't happen for Jules, as you noted.

I hope he gets a nice Two year extension he's taken a lot of shots for the Team and he's much tougher than regarded. Brady knows how important Edelman is to the success of this Offense its not the same without him.

Didn't Edelman become a FA and went to the Giants and came back because we gave a pretty good deal at the time?

You are thinking of 2012. He came back after only the Giants showed interested on a one year deal and broke out 2013 after Dola tore his groin muscles in the season opener. He then actually had supposedly big offers (Jax according to Bill Simmons) but decided to accepted the lower offer from NE to stay with Brady.

Edelman isn't locked in, he's a UFA in 12 months so he'll have another shot to cash in.

I don't disagree, but Ninko's pay bump had a bit to do with the suspension as well. He may have gotten it anyway, but I'm just pointing out that there was just slightly more to his story. It doesn't mean it can't happen for Jules, as you noted.

I was thinking of the pay increase he got a year before (2015) not the one he got before this season. That increase almost doubled his money to bring it more in line with his position on the depth chart and what others were making.

Reports: Rob Ninkovich’s Contract Adjusted, Increased By Patriots

Didn't Edelman become a FA and went to the Giants and came back because we gave a pretty good deal at the time? Unfortunately it's all about timing but I'm sure the Pats have been more than fair with him. He should also understand that he has the GOAT throwing him the ball and a coach that utilizes him to be max. I don't see Edelman becoming a number one elsewhere. Sometimes you just have to count your blessings and be grateful.

Exactly, Edelman was supposed to replace Welker and Welker's snap count collapsed at the start of the season in favor of Edelman, but Edelman got injured again. Edelman had a number of injuries during his first few seasons and wasn't available for a full season. Even 2015 he missed big chunks. So when he demanded a bigger contract, the Pats let him walk and he tested free agency and noone wanted an undersized injury-prone slot receiver.

I think people need to chill out here. The market is undervaluing these small shifty slot receivers and they have more value to the Pats because of our system here. I doubt Edelman will get any more $ elsewhere than he does with the Pats. It doesn't matter what he's worth to us. What matters is what everyone else is willing to pay him and whether we can pay more in comparison.

Similarly with Gronk. Gronk's impact on the team would have demanded a contract akin to $13-14m per year similar to what top WRs get. But the market undervalues TEs relative to WRs and Belichick realized that and hence gave out top of the market long-term contracts to Gronk and Hernandez. Gronk mayb be underpaid here based on his impact on the team but he can't say he's underpaid if he's the highest paid TE out there (which he was when he signed the contract). This is why Gronk said he's love for Bennett to get a great contract and raise the market for TEs.

Edelman may be the best 5'10" injury prone slot receiver in the NFL. But the market for 5'10" injury prone slot receivers is not that high and the Pats can match it.

Edeleman isn't underpaid.

I'm uncomfortable with Edelman's salary being so out of line with his value to the team. This isn't a case like Butler, of a young player who can expect to make much more money later on. Nor is it a situation like Brady's, who, although he makes much less than he could, still makes a decent amount. Nor some unproven guy in his first year or so doing great.

Edelman's been at the top level for years now. He's done remarkable things as a receiver, but also unselfishly and skillfully does things like blocking and kick returns. He gets YAC and puts himself at some risk by doing it.

Maybe the Patriots can get away with it, but if they can, it's only because other teams are so stupid that they don't see Edelman's value.

I love watching the Patriots and especially watching them win, and win brilliantly. Edelman epitomizes the Patriots philosophy as much as any other player except Brady. But he's playing a risky, dangerous position and outrageously underpaying him makes me feel complicit in the idiocy of other teams in the NFL.

I may be biased because I believe Edelman is one of the top receivers in the league. More important, Edelman is great in ways that other receivers can't even imagine. I mean, sure, a receiver can be a bit taller or faster than others, but corners and DCs are used to that stuff and can plan for it. Edelman in my view changes the whole nature of the offense in a way other receivers can't do. But even if you disagree with that, Edelman still, for what he's done, feels WAY underpaid.

Let me be the first here to welcome you and congratulate you and Julian on the birth of your daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back