PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't let the numbers fool you

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChockBlkr

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
it is now being reported that the seahawks offered branch a contract that is 30% more than the pats best offer. - even though the seahawks offer had more guaranteed over the first few years, the majority of the overall monetary payout was back- loaded high-cap salary years- meaning that branch would have at least two or three of what are commonly called in the league "fake" years in his contract full of money that he would never see. the patriots deals are more cap friendly, therefore allowing branch to more than likely earn all of his contract money (see vrabel, brady ect.) this just goes to show that the pats have done more than what can be considered reasonable to keep deion, and he just doesn't want to be here anymore.

I think that is very true...the fact that the Pats offer is not ALl that far away is telling...Pats send an offer and it is laughes at and not countered. They want a trade and the money offered is more, but not THAT much in the stratosphere of what Branch wanted. What does that tell you??
Many think that since these numbers are close they will negotiate and Branch will be back...Why?? The Pats first offer was not countered..why does anyone think he would counter now?? He basically wants out..and that is what the issue is.

What you are writing, if accurate, makes a lot of sense. Then the question is, Why does Branch want out of the Patriots so bad?

Last edited:
good question. kind of reminds me of the movie star who gets all huffy with his assistant for not picking out all of the green M & Ms from the bowl

What are the numbers? We've heard so many things lately but with no hard figures. If we are going to make the claim that our contract is better, what did the seahawks and the jets offer exactly to Branch?

Canada's #1 Pats Fan said:
What you are writing, if accurate, makes a lot of sense. Then the question is, Why does Branch want out of the Patriots so bad?

Because his agent has convinced him that the patriots screwed him by "forcing" him to sign a 5 year deal rather than a 4 year deal and he should be making more money this year. I used to think Deion was a smart guy. I have no respect for him anymore. He chooses next to $0 this year, and franchise next year instead of a little over $1M this year and $31M over the next 5.

emoney_33 said:
Because his agent has convinced him that the patriots screwed him by "forcing" him to sign a 5 year deal rather than a 4 year deal and he should be making more money this year. I used to think Deion was a smart guy. I have no respect for him anymore. He chooses next to $0 this year, and franchise next year instead of a little over $1M this year and $31M over the next 5.
So much for the Louisville education.

Canada's #1 Pats Fan said:

As has been reported / speculated in here previously, three reasons led to his total discontent:

1) The 5th year

2) The endorsement / commercial spot slight whne Deion was passed over

3) The deal itself was not sweet enough, as now evidenced by compettoing offers. Imagine what he will get when he is free?

smg93 said:
What are the numbers? We've heard so many things lately but with no hard figures. If we are going to make the claim that our contract is better, what did the seahawks and the jets offer exactly to Branch?

6 years, 36 to 39 mill with 13 mill "guaranteed", which may be in the form of roster bonuses or yearly incentives, which in fact does not really make them guaranteed

what about yearly salaries? were the jets, seahawks, and pats offers all similar? I'm not talking about yearly average but salary in each year. i want to know if some contracts were backloaded and others werent.

That's the only way we really know how comparable or attractive each of the offers were.

smg93 said:
what about yearly salaries? were the jets, seahawks, and pats offers all similar? I'm not talking about yearly average but salary in each year. i want to know if some contracts were backloaded and others werent.

That's the only way we really know how comparable or attractive each of the offers were.

The only specific #s i'v seen are 4.3 mill & 4.75 mill for the last 2 years of the pats 3 year offer which averaged over 6mill a year, those are very manageable #s for your supposed #1 reciever. as for seattles offer which it seems was the highest, the last 2 to 3 years of their 6 year deal would have to average @ 7mill per year in salary, given what they "guaranteed". i don't see that as likely to be paid salary to a slightly above average nfl receiver.

NEM said:
This is all Chayut, not so much Deion. IMO, of course.

If Deion Branch believed he was receiving bad advice, he would have fired Chayut last week. Deion Branch has dug his heels in and will not play for the New England Patriots this year unless he receives a big pay raise THIS YEAR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3